Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2012, 3:02 pm

Well, over here it doesn't matter whether you're on a rush hour or not, busses and trains will always be painfully crowdy. Because of all the reasons people described above, I really enjoy standing up on the bus if I have the energy and the situation isn't too awkward. The worst part of the bus ride is when you have someone sitting next to you or have people waiting at the same bus stop as you do. I just really wish that I would end up on an empty bus for one day again. Bus-drivers can be really fun to have a conversation with when you're alone on the bus, most of them are very friendly once you get to know them.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2012, 10:03 pm

As a New Yorker, living here for my entire life (25 years) I have yet to ever truly get used to public transportation. On the trains and busses going to class/work/etc. I learned to manage a bit better, for example to deal with not knowing where to look, I wear large, black, fashionable sun glasses. Sometimes I also wear a hood. I'll wear headphones and listen to ambient or classical music to block out the sounds. I'll read a book on my iPod to distract me, and so I won't have the issue of not knowing where to look.
Luckily, there are so many crazies wandering the subways, and heck the streets to for that matter, no one bats an eye when I wear sun glasses at ten o clock at night :)

I've tried not covering up my face and my ears, and it was very uncomfortable to say the least. As long as I have my iPod and my sunglasses, I'm good.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 4:55 am

I love getting the bus. I'm obsessed with buses. But I still get uneasy at times. I don't like people sitting next to me, and the bus has took to coming really early to the bus station so I end up being the last one on then having to stand up (I don't mind standing if there's a friendly bus-driver to chat to, but most are non-descript, so it's annoying having to stand up), and I get agitated in the holidays when people bring hyper kids on, and I especially hate brats under 5 sitting behind or next to me. They just make me feel uneasy.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 5:01 am

I really enjoy being on a crowded train actually. It gives me a strange kind of happiness.

Busses on the other hand I hate. I hate waiting for them, I hate how long they take to arrive at your destination...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 7:13 am

I hate waiting for buses when there are other people waiting with me because they just stand there staring at me (women do). I don't mind waiting for it in the bus station because there are people all around and they don't stare at me so much.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 11:08 am

here where I live there are some bus lines that take forever to wait and some others (especially those serving Downtown) have buses arrive every 5 Minutes. But those lines are almost always crowded, but I don't mind.

Now for trains, they are actually streetcars though some stops are underground. Those are less crowded.

MBTI- ISTP

Hawkx
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

Same here, I got around it by bringing a book of SCIENCE! When I read and think it takes me to my comfort zone in which I ignore all that is going around me or as if I erected a wall around myself. Without my book or some similar task (eg. Brain train apps, puzzles, strategy games) my eyes wonder all over the place and I become restless that it saps my energy.

Although my hobby is science and I'm aspie about it, it really helps to take me to my comfort zone. Perhaps you should also have something around you that you like to do.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm

ManicMinx wrote:
Everything is easier when you're drunk LOL

I agree! hahahaha

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

you wanna know whats the real pain in the butt?

Economy class on a 5 hour flight to Atlanta. The seating is not nice (of course, cos it's economy), and when the pane makes sudden moves, everyone feels like we're all gonna die.

I don't mind flying eco to LA. It's only for an hour

MBTI- ISTP

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2012, 4:16 pm

The wheels on the bus go round and round...
Round and round...
Round and round

The wheels on the bus go round and round
All through the town!

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 7:11 pm

I enjoy getting using public transport when it's quiet, but I have come close to meltdown when it's very busy or full of extremely loud, annoying people. I've even had to use pain to distract myself (getting under my sleeves and scratching my arms up) on public transport, otherwise, I'd meltdown.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 7:45 pm

I have no problem at all at the moment with public transportation. However, until a few years ago, I feared buses because I didn't trust the bus driver to stop at the right place or to follow the right route (no problem with the metro). Now, I'm OK.

From about 14 years old, I have almost always had music to listen, so there are no sound problems. I don't really mind the noise anyway, especially in the metro; it's quite soothing, really, so long as nobody is talking. However, I do dislike the crowdedness at rush hour. Also, I generally just read, so I don't have a problem with looking at things. In any case, if I don't read, it's time lost, and losing time is inefficient.

Actually, I positively like to take public transportation. Sometimes, I go out of my way to take the bus, or even go out just for a bus ride, with some excuse destination (e.g. "I need to buy pens!").

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm

I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains. I hate trains l. I hate trains. I hate trains.

PS I hate trains.

jcsesecuneta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2012, 12:33 am

I don't like buses. There's always some fear deep inside of me that I have to control, It takes my mind off to much more important things like safety. And I don't understand that fear. I am afraid of letting it out too, so to this day I haven't addressed it.

But with trains, I'm very much fine. I like trains a lot, their intricacies, the rails, management, keeping things going, switching rails, directions, it's a brain training for me. So I guess I'm distracted because of those thoughts.

Aspie/NT score: 154:41
AQ: 35

The Hæven of John?: http://jcsesecuneta.com
gameshogun?: http://gameshogun.ws

Add Me: https://frndc.com/~jcsesecuneta
Follow Me: http://parlementum.net/jcsesecuneta

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2012, 9:43 am

It's not so much the public transportation I mind; it's the people ON the public transit:

-The CRACKPOTS
-The STINKPOTS
-The CRACKHEADS
-The MOTORMOUTHS
-The PERVERTS

I mean, it's NOT so BAD if you can get to yourSELF and not have to deal with OTHERS! When I have to take the light rail, I'd rather STAND than have somebody sit next to me - unless it's somebody I know (and LIKE).

:roll:

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 1:39 pm

i find it depends where im going and which lines im taking on week days from around 3 till about 5 its hell because of higschoolers taking the bus and highschoolers tend to come in groups and talk loud conversations and can be irritating. some lines are known for being worse than others because of the amount of schhools on the route.

(the bus i took to and from community college was horrible at that hour because that bus went passed 2 highschools plus one major transfer point for a big campus of another high school with on that same campus two jr. high schools. so that was 5 schools in all. that was hell