how old were you when you stopped playing with toys?

Page 6 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

how old were you until you stopped playing w/ toys?
10-12 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
12-14 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
14-16 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 45

Warren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2006, 6:14 pm

Still play with LEGO, especially the Technics ones.

I will spend hours and hours imagining scenarios to use them in.

Also used to play with train sets. But spent most of the time staging a crash with the model trains :oops:

No space for model trains at present.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 6:54 pm

Warren wrote:
No space for model trains at present.

I don't believe you! My smallest model railway is only 8 inches in diameter, and I could just do something a little smaller. I have the parts.

Have a look at some of these micro-layouts:
http://carendt.us/

Mind you, I'm also planning something in the garden.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 7:02 pm

I think I stopped at about 11 or 12. I was more into collecting things than playing with them, tho I played the odd imaginary game with my toys. I started getting antiques when I was about 8 or 9. I was always more of a book reader or music listener than a toy player anyways.

Warren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2006, 8:24 pm

Emettman wrote:
I don't believe you! My smallest model railway is only 8 inches in diameter, and I could just do something a little smaller. I have the parts.

I prefer N gauge or OO myself and living on a naval base in barracks I dont have a lot of space to leave such a train set out. I was already reported on to the shrinks for the LEGO. Good job i was already seeing shrinks so it doesnt matter.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 11:28 pm

Dart wrote:
The last memory I have of playing with toys is from when I was about 8. I was never really that much of a toy person. I always had stereotypically autistic interests like calendar calculating, geography, presidents, and stuff like that.

Yeah, same. The only toys I had that I actually played with were dolls, but that wasn't typical, either. I'd line them up and really only use them as a way to talk to myself... like I'd do without the dolls. The rest of the real toys were just to line up. Like my dollhouse. Never played with the dollhouse. Just rearranged the furniture. I stopped playing with dolls at 13. Wish I would have kept the accessories, though... to line up. :lol: I still cut paper dolls, though. That's a fixation of mine. I don't play with the dolls. I just like cutting them because they're intricate and they're about my obsessions. All old-fashioned clothes from different periods in American history. I have one just about FDR, Civil War ones, flappers, etc. It's a real Aspie thing, let me tell you. I sit in my room for hours cutting and cutting.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 11:31 pm

I still play with toys.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2006, 2:39 am

Warren wrote:
Emettman wrote:

I prefer N gauge or OO myself and living on a naval base in barracks I dont have a lot of space to leave such a train set out. I was already reported on to the shrinks for the LEGO. Good job i was already seeing shrinks so it doesnt matter.

The 8-inch one was 0 on 9mm gauge. And holds the world altitude record, as far as I know, as I played with it on a flight to Canada. (This was pre 9/11. It wouldn't be so easy to get it through security now.)

I have a G-scale one in a shop window this Christmas: 18 inch diameter.

And as far as the psychiactricquestion goes, well "It's the madness that keeps me sane"
I could write a paper on the importance of the trivial in maintaining mental well-being.

And yes, I have spent quite a lot of time with psychiatrists and psychologists over the years, but none spotted the AS, which was a major factor in my depression and alienation. Things have improved appreaciably since that was put in the frame.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2006, 2:49 am

I never did, my "toys" just became far more expensive and complex

Veronica
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2006, 10:41 am

I have a massive collection of legos and my friends and I all get together, get drunk, and build ridiculous things like protests, riots, giant stupid buildings, and my favorite, let's make a lego construction out of every piece I have. I'm 24, my friends vary in age from 17-35.

A love and appreciation for people and things that bring you back to your childhood should never die... unless of course, you had a horrendous childhood...

calibaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2007, 3:12 am

i played with my doll house til i was 16. i put it out in the storage shed to store while i changed rooms with my parents and my dad took the oppurtunity to get rid of it.
I wanted to keep it but he wanted me to grow up.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 3:48 am

Fraya wrote:
*blinkblink* Your supposed to stop playing with them?? :P

My thoughts exactly. The poll does not go up nearly high enough in age!

:> earthmom
(still plays with toys)

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 4:21 am

I've just been beaten out in an auction for "1979 TENTE CONSTRUCTION SET #370 NAVY SHIPS" model boat building set on eBay, so there are some people out there who still like playing with toys, if they are not just that evil thing (Toy Story 2 ) "The Collector".

$201.50 plus postage! (£103 for UK readers)

I was only prepared to go to $135, so I wasn't even the second-best bid.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 11:00 am

I never really did play with toys, except for toy cars when I was very little. I have a lot of stuffed animals, mostly cats, but they are collector's items rather than toys. Books were my favorite toys growing up. I preferred to read (and still do) over playing with toys.

AspicViper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2007, 4:06 pm

Does customizing My Little Ponies count as playing?

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 4:17 pm

"customizing" is just a grown up word for "playing".

:)

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 5:29 pm

"Toy" is a verb!