Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

Didn't know whether to put this Music or Politics

Can anyone tell me what the hell happened to Dave Mustaine?

I am, was actually, only the most casual of Megadeth fans, but Dave disappointed me by doing a political 180.
The Man who sang "Peace Sells" is now endorsing the Republicans and Santorum.

I know he had a bad accident that caused nerve damage and affected his playing. Did he turn to Jesus after that, and then Fundamentalism? Or did he just get conservative in his middle age?

I was so upset I went on Ebay to sell my Peace Sells... CD, but found out there was like 7 pages of people trying to unload theirs too. Maybe I'm not the only one "disowning" the now conservative Dave.

Any thoughts or insights?

Last edited by MagicToenail on 16 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 1:22 pm

No idea.

But Santorum is the flavor of the month for conservatives. There is actually a poll out now showing him beating Romney on electability for the first time. Your friend may simply be backing the man he feels can win against Obama, or he may be in the "anyone but Romney" camp. He may not be a dedicated fundamentalist social-con.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 3:33 pm

Didn't you hear, Mustaine became a born-again-Christian and is now batshit crazy

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2012, 3:59 pm

Quote:
But Santorum is the flavor of the month for conservatives.

Still tastes like ASS!

(Sorry, just couldn't resist!)

As for Dave's conversion, I was unaware until now. I actually once paid to see Megadeth. Though I can still listen to it, my speed-metal phase came & went a few years back. Turns out that I didn't fit in any better among the metalheads than with any other clique.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

He's a good guitarist, but his vocals are shot.

I love Slayer a whole lot more than Megadeth when it comes to thrash metal.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 4:19 pm

Billybones wrote:
Quote:
But Santorum is the flavor of the month for conservatives.

Still tastes like ASS!

(Sorry, just couldn't resist!)

As for Dave's conversion, I was unaware until now. I actually once paid to see Megadeth. Though I can still listen to it, my speed-metal phase came & went a few years back. Turns out that I didn't fit in any better among the metalheads than with any other clique.

Well, its not about fitting in. Its about the music.

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

^Touche'

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 4:32 pm

I think the lesson here is don't get so addicted to drugs and alcohol that you end up converting to fundamentalist Christianity and taking up right-wing politics.

I can respect the guy a little for not giving a crap what people will think, but still... ugh.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 4:53 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Didn't you hear, Mustaine became a born-again-Christian and is now batshit crazy

He was batshit crazy and christian before he just combined the two together to form a true horror of the world.

A born again ginger christian thrash metal guitarist/vocalist who can't do any decent material since the 90's

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 5:02 pm

Laz wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

He was batshit crazy and christian before he just combined the two together to form a true horror of the world.

A born again ginger christian thrash metal guitarist/vocalist who can't do any decent material since the 90's

Megadeth has always been about Marty Friedmann for me, seriously wicked guitarist (I mean he did play with Jason Becker). Dave himself I have never been particularly impressed with. I didn't know he was religiously nuts before his arm paralysis, but I suppose he always has been kind of crazy. I read some interviews with Metallica about him and he doesn't sound like the kind of guy I'd want to be in a band with

psych
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

it wasnt long ago he was on the alex jones show.

rock the vote!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 5:40 pm

psych wrote:
it wasnt long ago he was on the alex jones show.

A cesspit of credibility

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:00 pm

Lame music lame politics.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the hell happened to Dave Mustaine?

well, you have a guy who had a very unstable childhood with an abusive parent, he possibly had markers for personality disorder. he got involved in occult and believes himself to be responsible for at least one person dying. He lived close to death for many years etc.. when people like that start to heal there can be a big reaction, they dont just become 'normal', but swing towards something else. perhaps something intense is needed to fill the gap left by the impulsivity? I dont have much knowledge of the --- anonymous addiction program, but ive heard it critisised for substitutiong a kind of religion for the addictions.

I dont know anything about santorum other than being republican, but all this is just wild speculation anyway... Dave Mustaine may be at a point in life where he wants some sense of meta-stability, a feeling that the country can be 'fixed' and made habitable so his children and grandchildren can prosper with some tinkering, rather than requiring some form of dangerous transition period. In recent years hes looked at the fringe of NWO theory looking for answers, but that culture overall has credibility issues and for average people (if they subscribe to it fully) it is truly horrific thing to contemplate, paralysing even. So i guess hes rejected that and settled on a mainstream electable candidate that projects a secure,protective feeling, even if its false - i think thats something that conservatives do well.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Feb 2012, 7:10 pm

I'm not a fan of that type of music and not familiar with his work but I read his endorsement and came to the conclusion that he is an idiot. Only a wackjob or completely ignorant person can support Santorum and his theocracy.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Megadeth has always been about Marty Friedmann

Word