Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 6:52 am

Music Language and drugs. Not doing the drugs (for the most part), just reading about them, knowing stuff about them, reading experiences, etc.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 11:33 am

My lifelong special interest: Movies and filmmaking, and pretty much anything relevant. There's barely any living space in my room because it's full of shelves of VHS, DVDs and Blu-Rays...the walls are covered in framed movie posters...I have stuffed animals and collectables related to my favorite films.

I'm a filmmaker myself, and have a Bachelor's degree in Film Studies (and am interviewing on Tuesday for entrance into the American Film Institute Conservatory). I met my boyfriend of four years through our shared interest in film.

My other obsessive interests vary, but most result from the big one: RESEARCH. I love researching things...it's probably my favorite thing to do in the world. My friends know that if I hear something I'm not familiar with, I'm going to pull out my iPhone and look it up, right then. Sometimes I'll hear or learn about something and feel the need to learn everything about it through research, so that thing may become an obsessive interest for a short period (maybe a week), until I feel I'm all researched out. This happened recently with the West Memphis 3; I saw all three original documentaries, read some books and spent hours on online message boards.

Do any of you also get short term obsessive interests? Like, things you become interested in and you feel like you can't do anything else until you 'binge' on that item until you've consumed all of it, and then can 'purge' it from your system and return to your normal routine? I recently discovered "The United States of Tara" on Netflix, and I really loved it, so I watched all 3 seasons in approximately 5 days. I HAD to keep watching it, and didn't do anything else during this time...if I tried to do something else, all I could think about is watching another episode.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Hawkx
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Feb 2012, 11:39 am

Im obsessive about science, mostly in physics, biology, and chemistry.

I love mathematical formulas and seeing the relations they hold. I love biology because it's amazing that masses of matter can form such a cooperative task we call life. Chemistry in that it ties to biology and physics. Most of all I love physics because it explains the world with great accuracy and is the study of particles (learning how the universe works).

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Feb 2012, 11:54 am

My interests changed with age

These days (that is, the past 5 years), it is Sociology/Psychology and Music (guitar playing and electro music)

When I was 7 years old, I was obsessed with Chemistry, more precisely, I learned by heart the periodic table of Mendeleiev... At 8 yr I learned it all (by myself, diving in the dictionary + formula like H2SO4 etc... :p).

But it lasted one year, and from 8yo I was obsessed with computer and programming, I would say from 8yo to 12yo I could spent 10 hours a day non-stop in front of my Atari ST, programming in GFA Basic 3.0, I tried C++ too (but I was very young) I made tons of little programs and games. Then from 12 to 17 I was obsessed with Japan, and the japanese language (which I learned, especially hiragana/katakana which I read lightning fast and hundreds of Kanjis)

Overall I always been interested by Geography

Something important is that my family and surrounding are and were absolutely unaware of those interests all my life, I couldn't share them.