Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2012, 2:12 pm

In celebration of getting my first house, I figured I'd start a thread about this excellent action rpg.

It is more fun to play than to follow the story...but the dialogue is awesome.

Speed runs by developers took 2 weeks; that's a damn impressive size for a game.

I currently enjoy using a melee weapon/chakram combo; with mixes of quakes and lightning attacks thrown in. I prefer daggers, longswords, greatswords and hammers.

Also the crafting system and the potion making has been great fun.

Anybody want to share their big experiences? my only two big ones are fighting the Widow Queen and the Greater Ninkaru as a boss during a mission.

Great game I think.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2012, 7:35 pm

I'm really enjoying all the side quests I've barely touched the main quest at all. I am playing full spec mage with chakrams. I have about 60 hours into it now. I almost didn't buy it, because I honestly wasnt too impressed by all the demo problems, but I ended up preordering it a few days later and am very glad I did.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 1:26 am

I'm about 34 hours in, I just got to Ysa. I'm enjoying the game so far. I'm glad I picked this up.

Currently I'm using faeblades and chakrams with lightning, mark of flame and summon faer gorta. I put most of my points into sorcery, some in finesse, and a little in might.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2012, 9:19 am

I am 17 hours in...Level 11 about to be 12. It can get a bit tedious with sidequests but overall im learning on the fly. I like the Faeblades and Great Swords. The Bow is not that bad if leveled up.

LongLostSelf
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2012, 11:31 am

Is it anything like Dark Souls?

KoffSyrup
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm

LongLostSelf wrote:

Not really. While Dark Souls combat is more similar to Zelda, Kingdoms of Amalur tries to emulate the combat of say for instance, Devil May Cry(although for multiple reasons it isn't as fluid or satisfying). Dark souls has very little story/dialogue, Amalur has alot.Amalur also has a much greater emphasis on customization, what with branching akill sets,alchemy, etc. I would definitely say Dark Souls is a better game, but Amalur offers a more traditional, albeit very well done RPG experince.

camelCase
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2012, 1:27 pm

I have played an hour or two and really enjoy it so far. Good game!

LongLostSelf
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

KoffSyrup wrote:
LongLostSelf wrote:

Not really. While Dark Souls combat is more similar to Zelda, Kingdoms of Amalur tries to emulate the combat of say for instance, Devil May Cry(although for multiple reasons it isn't as fluid or satisfying). Dark souls has very little story/dialogue, Amalur has alot.Amalur also has a much greater emphasis on customization, what with branching akill sets,alchemy, etc. I would definitely say Dark Souls is a better game, but Amalur offers a more traditional, albeit very well done RPG experince.

Ok thanks. I loved Dark and Demons Souls thought this might be similar. I still haven't tried the demo though I find RPG games don't demo well

DC1977
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

I've been playing this a lot over the weekend and am really enjoying it so far, the world is huge and incredibly detailed, the quests are a bit similar, too many of the 'go here and fetch that' variety, but there are some standout ones in there as well. It appeals to my obsessive completionist with loads of quests and lorestones as well as sets of equipment and factions.

I'm going my usual route of rogue with a touch of magic and hevay weapons. The fully tooled up bow is ridiculously powerful, with the ability to unleash 7 charged shots at once, meaning I took down a mountain troll in two volleys yesterday.combat is OK, slightly more complex than bash the buttons, but not to the level of DMC or Bayonetta.

If you like RPG's then it definitely worth a look.