no, not really 34%  34%  [ 15 ]
somewhat 25%  25%  [ 11 ]
yes, definatly 41%  41%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 44

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2006, 12:01 am

I've noticed that i do. Even when i was a kid i liked em. I think i enjoyed them because i got some kind of reaction from them. to this day, i'll watch horror all day/night over any other type of film. most people can only take so much but i feel settled and calm while watching them. perhaps it is because (as people have suggested) i can relate to both parties. the good guys (victims) vs. the bad guys (monsters). sometimes i'm more thrilled by watching the "people" die then the monsters. this probrably makes too much sense to horror-lovers.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 2:24 am

I watched a bit of the Dukes of Hazzard (the movie, not the show) the other day. Does that count?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 4:06 am

werbert wrote:
I watched a bit of the Dukes of Hazzard (the movie, not the show) the other day. Does that count?

No, that's just a horrible movie. :lol:

See 'The Shining' instead. Ridley Scot's 'Alien' is also a good one as well.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:09 am

I like films where the horror is created by atmosphere and tension.2 of the best examples are old black and white classics "I Walked With A Zombie" and "Night Of The Demon". There's no violence in either but they're pretty scary ! I find some of the modern stuff is too graphic and sets out to shock rather than scare.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:15 am

In my own opinion, there are 2 kinds of horror movies.

Movies that are meant to be scary (but are not to me) but are good in general.

Movies that are meant to be scary (but are not to me) but are a pile of s***.

Most of them are the second kind of horror movies these days, so no is your answer.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Oct 2006, 10:18 am

blackdove wrote:
I've noticed that i do. Even when i was a kid i liked em. I think i enjoyed them because i got some kind of reaction from them. to this day, i'll watch horror all day/night over any other type of film. most people can only take so much but i feel settled and calm while watching them. perhaps it is because (as people have suggested) i can relate to both parties. the good guys (victims) vs. the bad guys (monsters). sometimes i'm more thrilled by watching the "people" die then the monsters. this probrably makes too much sense to horror-lovers.

Anyone here seen the horror movie with the guy who kills people with his camera tripod and videotapes it?

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:19 am

Also, horror movies these days rip off from old movies, and remake old cult classics over and over and over.

Directors, and writers out there don't just let the original movie die out!

Stop ripping an original off over and over!

I think now directors and writers have run out of ideas...with making horrror movies.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Oct 2006, 10:20 am

blackdove wrote:

Anyone here seen the horror movie with the guy who kills people with his camera tripod and videotapes it?

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:20 am

I like the sort of horror films made in the early 70's which had a real eerie atmosphere, the ones made today focus more on gore and special effects, saying that I enjoyed the first SAW movie. I think the original Omen is a terrifying film, there are some brilliant Japanese horror films too.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:26 am

fresco wrote:
I like the sort of horror films made in the early 70's which had a real eerie atmosphere, the ones made today focus more on gore and special effects, saying that I enjoyed the first SAW movie. I think the original Omen is a terrifying film, there are some brilliant Japanese horror films too.

SAW is a great film, and so is original Omen.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 1:52 pm

Alternative wrote:

SAW is a great film, and so is original Omen.

What? SAW was terrible.

I love horror movies, but I had to give them up because they give me nightmares.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 1:53 pm

Horror movies give me a bad feeling, but I like Silence of the Lambs because of the criminology.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 1:55 pm

I love them. Except for the random loud noises they like to put into them. I hate that part.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 2:03 pm

They have to have a plot. If it's just "random monster kills random clueless people repeatedly", then forget it--I'm off doing something else.

I don't really like TV anyway. Half the time I can't keep track of who's who; and movies are so very slow in conveying information that I just don't focus on them well.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 2:16 pm

alex wrote:

Nope.

Do you mean that he runs his camera while he's killing the people, or that he videotapes what he does afterwards, after he has set the tripod up again?

Sixela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2006, 3:29 pm

I like some of them. A good plot is a must, I don't really like the ones made to show pointless gore and teenage lust, those are a stupid waste of my time, unless they remind me of the 80s, I love everything 80s (reminds me of my childhood). I'd like to name some of the ones I really like, but I'm so horrible with titles I can't remember any of them right now. People were mentioning Saw, which I thought was okay, but frustrating for me to watch because I had it (and the sequel) figured out before they were halfway over. But they were a lot less obvious than some of the other crappy movies out there horror or not. I'll try to remember some of my favs....