Want to isolate and be self-sufficient

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2012, 7:02 am

Does anybody else want to be isolated from the society, and be able to live as self-sufficiently as possible? I would love to live like Ted Kaczynski (Unabomber) (I don't want to make mailbombs and send them to research labs, though!), who lived in his cabin deep in a forest. I feel like the real world overwhelms me so much that I feel the need to withdraw.

Ted's cabin:

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 7:36 am

One of my most soothing fantasies has been to imagine doing just this. I list in my mind, over and over, all the items that I would take, thinking about what would be essential for survival for me, both physically and mentally. I envision building a crude shelter, seeing all the little details of how I would construct my little "nest" to meet my minimalistic needs. I even look at maps sometimes to determine locations where I would be isolated but near a small lake so that I would have water resources for growing my own food and fishing. These thoughts give me great pleasure.

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

Read some Thoreau,

http://thoreau.eserver.org

Perhaps more inspirational than Ted.

Quote:
Men frequently say to me, "I should think you would feel lonesome down there, and want to be nearer to folks, rainy and snowy days and nights especially." I am tempted to reply to such — This whole earth which we inhabit is but a point in space. How far apart, think you, dwell the two most distant inhabitants of yonder star, the breadth of whose disk cannot be appreciated by our instruments? Why should I feel lonely? is not our planet in the Milky Way? This which you put seems to me not to be the most important question. What sort of space is that which separates a man from his fellows and makes him solitary? I have found that no exertion of the legs can bring two minds much nearer to one another. What do we want most to dwell near to? Not to many men surely, the depot, the post-office, the bar-room, the meeting-house, the school-house, the grocery, Beacon Hill,(4) or the Five Points,(5) where men most congregate, but to the perennial source of our life, whence in all our experience we have found that to issue, as the willow stands near the water and sends out its roots in that direction. This will vary with different natures, but this is the place where a wise man will dig his cellar.... I one evening overtook one of my townsmen, who has accumulated what is called "a handsome property" — though I never got a fair view of it — on the Walden road, driving a pair of cattle to market, who inquired of me how I could bring my mind to give up so many of the comforts of life. I answered that I was very sure I liked it passably well; I was not joking. And so I went home to my bed, and left him to pick his way through the darkness and the mud to Brighton — or Bright-town — which place he would reach some time in the morning.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm

Check out some survivalist and self sufficiency websites.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Ellendra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm

Transhuman wrote:
Does anybody else want to be isolated from the society, and be able to live as self-sufficiently as possible?

Since I was old enough to remember.

I finally have my land and am in the process of building my cabin. I have fruit and nut trees planted, with more on my list to plant this year. I'm starting to carve a garden out of the weeds, and I have a list of animals that I want to raise after I get the fences up.

The magazines Backwoods Home and Countryside both have useful articles by people who are living that life now. Click the names and check them out!

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2012, 3:54 pm

Yes, many times I've thought I want to live away from people and society.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 3:59 pm

Constantly...

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

I am pretty much isolated from society. I go shopping once a week and pick up a new prescription once a month, but other than that, I might as well live in a cave on a mountaintop. It's not all it's cracked up to be (depression, cabin fever), but it's the only thing that works for me.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Feb 2012, 6:27 pm

I would love to be self-sufficient. My need for seclusion would have to include my family though. My dream home is one that I picked out when I was in high school around 30 years ago. It is called the "Enchanting Mansion of Luxury." It is as eclectic and eccentric as I am. I envision it set on a lush lawn with many trees. Behind the house is a meadow and a brook softly lapping along a rocky bank. The property and house reminds me of the settings in certain children's fairy tales. It would be an escape into a storybook forest where I would live among the enchantment of my dreams. And there, in the vaulted library adorned by a Gothic arched window, I would write the novels that I have long wanted to write.

The mansion would afford me a place to showcase the talents and gifts that Asperger's has given me. Besides my writing, there would be a studio for my music and a hobby room for my train layout. My several collections would also be at home here. Basically, it would become a museum of the talents and special intense interests that autism gave to me---a life that I have found fun and interesting. I have steered away from those things I find awkward and non enjoyable, so this secluded self-sufficient life would be grand for me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 7:16 pm

Yep, I used to tell people that I wanted to be like the Unabomber without the bombs.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

I would love having a place in a rural setting to retreat to....a couple times a year.

TheSunAlsoRises

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

I want to live in an Earthship with a composting toilet, etc...

http://earthship.com/

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 11:04 pm

I live on 40 remote acres about 1 hour away from the city. It is heaven....

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 11:14 pm

Living in the middle of no where would be nice, given you can make a moderate living and have Internet access. I almost tried to purchase a home in a rural area... but it didn't make financial sense given my situation.