Another fictional character who might be on the spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 7:54 pm

I was just reading H.G.Wells' The First Men In The Moon, about a professor who invents an anti-gravity material. And I noticed a few things:

1. He is socially unaware
2. He actively avoids company - he lives in a very quiet village
3. He has a rigid daily routine, to the minute. He even tries to buy someone's house so their presence does not interrupt his routine.
4. He obsesses one one focused topic
5. He apparently stims. This is his first appearance:

Quote:
"He was a short, round-bodied, thin-legged little man, with a jerky quality in his motions; he had seen fit to clothe his extraordinary mind in a cricket cap, an overcoat, and cycling knickerbockers and stockings. Why he did so I do not know, for he never cycled and he never played cricket. ... He gesticulated with his hands and arms, and jerked his head about and buzzed. He buzzed like something electric. You never heard such buzzing. And ever and again he cleared his throat with a most extraordinary noise."

6. He may dislike sunlight. It is not stated, but every day he goes for a walk and turns round when he sees the sun:
Quote:
"Exactly as he came against the sun he stopped, pulled out a watch, hesitated. Then with a sort of convulsive gesture he turned and retreated with every manifestation of haste"

7. He is very literal:
Quote:
"One moment, sir," said I as he turned. He stared. "One moment," he said, "certainly. Or if you wish to speak to me for longer, and it is not asking too much--your moment is up"

8. He is no aware of how he seems to others:
Quote:
"Why do you do it? Every night you come making a noise--"
"Making a noise?"
"Like this." I imitated his buzzing noise. He looked at me, and it was evident the buzzing awakened distaste. "Do I do that?" he asked.
"Every blessed evening."
"I had no idea."
He stopped dead. He regarded me gravely. "Can it be," he said, "that I have formed a Habit?"
"Well, it looks like it. Doesn't it?"
He pulled down his lower lip between finger and thumb. He regarded a puddle at his feet."

9. Note that last line: he avoids eye contact.

10. He does not understand plays (this continues the same conversation):
Quote:
"not only do I not know why I do these things, but I did not even know I did them. Come to think, it is just as you say; I never _have_ been beyond that field.... And these things annoy you?"
For some reason I was beginning to relent towards him. "Not annoy," I said. "But--imagine yourself writing a play!"
"I couldn't."
"Well, anything that needs concentration."

etc., etc.
I realize this is just for fun, but I put it to you: Professor Cavor is on the spectrum!