Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:12 pm

I remember being in YMCA daycamp in the summer between 3rd and 4th grade where there was this 11 year old who liked listening to Metallica'a And Justice For All tape on his boombox. I was one of those kids who was always gleefully antagonizing him:

"Metallica SUUUCCKKS!"

and I'd run, shut the door, and be laughing at him from the other side.

Funny this is, I was already starting on rock at the time, had Motley Crue and Poison (probably worse), and by 6th grade I had all five Metallica albums (1991). As of today I'd still say everything after the black album sucks but, the same way I've run into people who'll gleefully say "Techno SUCKSS!! !" - yeah, I'm guilty of doing something like that to someone way back in my history, and having every tape by that band within a couple years :lol:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 5:35 pm

Unspecified wrote:
My biggest "DOH, they're GREAT" moment was when I 'discovered' Radiohead's OK Computer 10 years late.

Wait 'til you hear 'The Bends'

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 7:03 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I remember being in YMCA daycamp in the summer between 3rd and 4th grade where there was this 11 year old who liked listening to Metallica'a And Justice For All tape on his boombox. I was one of those kids who was always gleefully antagonizing him:

"Metallica SUUUCCKKS!"

and I'd run, shut the door, and be laughing at him from the other side.

Funny this is, I was already starting on rock at the time, had Motley Crue and Poison (probably worse), and by 6th grade I had all five Metallica albums (1991). As of today I'd still say everything after the black album sucks but, the same way I've run into people who'll gleefully say "Techno SUCKSS!! !" - yeah, I'm guilty of doing something like that to someone way back in my history, and having every tape by that band within a couple years :lol:

I was in the 'Techno Sucks' camp for a long time.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 6:24 am

Moog wrote:
Unspecified wrote:
My biggest "DOH, they're GREAT" moment was when I 'discovered' Radiohead's OK Computer 10 years late.

Wait 'til you hear 'The Bends'

I agree. :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 8:28 am

The thing I have to laugh about with Radiohead is that I remember Youtubing a song I liked that they were playing live and made a comment that reflected that they aparently they have a big Nirvana Son Of A Gun following (people who like the way their music sounds but who don't get it at all), and a lot of these people are having long makeout sessions on tracks where it makes absolutely no sense. Baby-making tunes which were meant to be that are one thing, you play it live and you get that you asked for. If you wrote something pensive or deeply personal to you and people can't tell the difference.... :eew:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 10:36 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The thing I have to laugh about with Radiohead is that I remember Youtubing a song I liked that they were playing live and made a comment that reflected that they aparently they have a big Nirvana Son Of A Gun following (people who like the way their music sounds but who don't get it at all), and a lot of these people are having long makeout sessions on tracks where it makes absolutely no sense. Baby-making tunes which were meant to be that are one thing, you play it live and you get that you asked for. If you wrote something pensive or deeply personal to you and people can't tell the difference.... :eew:

Making babies to 'Creep'?

I wonder if the music you conceive a baby to has any bearing on it's character when it arrives.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

Moog wrote:
I wonder if the music you conceive a baby to has any bearing on it's character when it arrives.

Baby delivering music would probably be somewhere in the thrash metal or oy punk range.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 10:54 am

^ :lol:

Prism
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2012, 2:20 pm

Well I guess that would be for me with The World Ends with You, a video game. Typically, I disdain rap music and I usually refer to it as rap noise instead of music. However, in this game they had rap music in it and well to put it simply, " it fit perfectly with the game's theme and I wouldn't have it any other way." Still, that has become the only exception to me in regards to rap music. Otherwise I still consider it noise.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 5:46 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

I didn't think about it, but that's how they make money. The music has an artistic value and a commercial value. It works on both levels for certain people.

I suppose ideally you want people to patronise you who care about your art, but secondarily, or failing that, people throwing money my way who don't give a toss would be okay in my book.

I think touching one or two people with what I do would be success.

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

Ookla wrote:
That happened to me with Pink Floyd. In my teens, I dismissed them as artsy-fartsy pretentious nonsense (which is at least somewhat true!), but in my twenties I developed an appreciation for their music. And my appreciation became an obsession that went on for years. Also, Fiona Apple. I couldn't stand her when she first appeared in the Nineties, but I ended up buying her CD because her songs stuck in my head and I couldn't resist anymore. Ah, the power of mass media...

I don't know much about Lady Gaga, because I don't really pay attention to popular music anymore. But I heard the "Alejandro" song while riding in the car with my sister. And damn it, that song was in my head for three days afterward. Undeniably catchy. I hope I don't hear it again, though. I got tired of mumbling "Fernando, Alejandro..." to myself all day. :P

Aw, Pink Floyd.

Well, I still don't know much of their 80s stuff. ^^ Because it's too progressive.

"Alejandro" is cool. But I am not a fan of Lady Gaga as a whole. Most of her songs just do not appeal to me.

I am trying to get rid of some of my music snobbishness.

Just look at my last.fm charts of the last 12 months.

I mostly listened to Thomas Newman and Tears For Fears. And quite a lot of Mark Owen and Take That. Good times. That was my summer.

U2 as well.

I think it's a shame that you are prone to perceive U2 as a bad and cliché band. But The Edge is so great and adorable. Getting into U2 was great. But it was not easy. It's a long process.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman