Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 10:31 pm

Anyway, when Lady Gaga first came out, I gotta say, I was more or less a hater. I thought "Just Dance" was like, sort of good as a radio pop song, but wouldn't really admit it, and then coinciding, the big fandom over her started, so I went to, not really terribly actively hating Lady Gaga, but I wouldn't admit to liking her, and didn't quite think highly of her, that's for sure. But uh, I downloaded a Skrillex mix of "Alejandro" and "Bad Romance" and quite liked the Skrillex remixes, and then downloaded the regular versions. Also, some of the people at the rink play Lady Gaga, and it grew on me some. Now I have about 5-6 or so Lady Gaga songs I like and listen to fairly often. Basically, I felt like I had to eat crow, regarding Lady Gaga. Or, another metaphor, it was more a case of "Green Eggs and Ham."

I also had to backtrack my haterific views on pop-punk, too, I like some pop punk songs now, also. For me, it's sorta hard to admit you like some mainstream poppy songs like that, as I have really eclectic musical tastes, and in a lot of ways, like to be a musical snob in my own special way. Oh, and Atreyu, do enjoy a few Atreyu songs, too, another backtrack.

Now, this thread isn't about Lady Gaga (unless this happened to you with Lady Gaga.) But, basically, what I'm wondering is, where have you had to "eat crow" regarding musical tastes? Originally disliking either an artist, or a music genre or style, whether or not out of your own accord, or for image sake (I mean, it's not very cool to be a male listening to Lady Gaga, no matter what your social circle is) and then suddenly, it grew on you or something to the point where you liked it. Anyone else have this sorta thing happen? If you'd like, use this thread to somewhat anonymously confess your totally uncool musical tastes, too.

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2012, 11:17 pm

That happened to me with Pink Floyd. In my teens, I dismissed them as artsy-fartsy pretentious nonsense (which is at least somewhat true!), but in my twenties I developed an appreciation for their music. And my appreciation became an obsession that went on for years. Also, Fiona Apple. I couldn't stand her when she first appeared in the Nineties, but I ended up buying her CD because her songs stuck in my head and I couldn't resist anymore. Ah, the power of mass media...

I don't know much about Lady Gaga, because I don't really pay attention to popular music anymore. But I heard the "Alejandro" song while riding in the car with my sister. And damn it, that song was in my head for three days afterward. Undeniably catchy. I hope I don't hear it again, though. I got tired of mumbling "Fernando, Alejandro..." to myself all day. :P

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2012, 3:28 am

I used to dislike pop punk bands like Rufio, Slick Shoes, NOFX, Descendents, Teenage Bottlerocket etc. But at the time I only listened to bands like Paramore, The All-American Rejects, Sum 41, Blink 182, Rise Against... I gradually started to listen to less popular pop punk bands when I found Rufio again and loved it (and all those bands mentioned above).
But now I dislike bands like The Maine, All Time Low, Sum 41, Green Day,...

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:37 am

If I'm getting you right... Most of the artists I like, I disliked or at least mocked at first. It's an interesting relationship.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm

i have that all the time... a delayed reaction to music, movies and what not....
for music... I remember always passing on Moves Like Jagger....now? it's my fav song and I know the lyrics by heart and can sing it awesomely.
for movies/tv..... i didn't really get into Malcolm in the Middle....but now...I'm going through the seasons in order on Netflix streaming...

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 1:28 pm

I still dislike Moves Like Jagger, but I saw a parody on it which I liked, and it made me think "Dang! Something good has been done with that song..."

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 1:31 pm

All the time as a kid. I was attached to metal and I was anti rave or hip hop or whatever. So I 'ate crow' then. Nowadays I'm more open, and don't reject stuff. As I change, certain musics 'open' up to me, and I can then understand and appreciate them.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 2:08 pm

Plenty of males love Lady Gaga. I know a few.
I always say, if you like something, then go ahead and like it.

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

My biggest "DOH, they're GREAT" moment was when I 'discovered' Radiohead's OK Computer 10 years late.

The_Sleeper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm

I had to "eat crow" on liking music at all. I was very opinionated as a kid i guess, it was well known how stupid i thought music was. When i first started liking music i went about it like it was a drug addiction. I'd sneak down in the night and listen to music while i read. I didn't have my own way of playing music of course. I was so embarrassed, i really believed it to be stupid up until that point, i was convinced. That must have been at age 14ish.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

I remember not thinking I could ever enjoy Bob Dylan because my first time I heard him was during "We Are The World". Now that there is youtube, I have a great respect for his songwriting.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:32 pm

Yeah, I do that with a lot of music. I suppose I just have to hear things at the right time for me to feel it. If I don't feel it, I'll think it's crap.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 1:42 am

curlyfry wrote:
I remember not thinking I could ever enjoy Bob Dylan

I'm still at that phase. :P

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:17 am

I admit it - I like GaGa. Her music isn't what I usually listen to, but I've come to respect her for her education and her artistic sensibilities. And I concede - I really like Judas. And the fact that she champions gays and others who aren't accepted by the whole of society is for me very appealing. I can imagine her sticking up for us Aspies. 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:39 pm

Well, the second Kirsty song I knew was Fairytale of New York, and the first song I knew by her I didn't know was her. As Fairytale of New York is an atrociously s**t (or at best, indifferent) song, I was heavily biased against her. To my shame, as things turned out.
Also the Levellers, who I really didn't get when I first heard them.

The year is still young.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:12 pm

I remember being in YMCA daycamp in the summer between 3rd and 4th grade where there was this 11 year old who liked listening to Metallica'a And Justice For All tape on his boombox. I was one of those kids who was always gleefully antagonizing him:

"Metallica SUUUCCKKS!"

and I'd run, shut the door, and be laughing at him from the other side.

Funny this is, I was already starting on rock at the time, had Motley Crue and Poison (probably worse), and by 6th grade I had all five Metallica albums (1991). As of today I'd still say everything after the black album sucks but, the same way I've run into people who'll gleefully say "Techno SUCKSS!! !" - yeah, I'm guilty of doing something like that to someone way back in my history, and having every tape by that band within a couple years :lol:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin