What are you reading at the moment thread

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 1:50 pm

What book are you reading on your spare time?

I am reading 'Einstein's Universe' by, Nigel Calder.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 2:47 pm

I just finished "Running With Scissors"and"Paris Trout" and halfway through "Dry"....

I checked out two Camus books to reread..."Stranger" and "The Plague"
two books about AS..."When I was Five I killed Myself"and "Exiting Nirvana"

I like to read...lol

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 2:49 pm

krex wrote:
I just finished "Running With Scissors"and"Paris Trout" and halfway through "Dry"....

I checked out two Camus books to reread..."Stranger" and "The Plague"
two books about AS..."When I was Five I killed Myself"and "Exiting Nirvana"

I like to read...lol

So do I, I haven't heard of Runningt with scissors, but I just finished 'Curious Incident of the dog in the night time

krex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 2:54 pm

They just made "Running with Scissors "as a movie...haven't seen it ,but the book was very funny.I looked for the Dog in the Night Book but they didn't have it at the library...Very few books about As there,pretty disappointing.I think I may have to order them from Amazon.com

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Oct 2006, 3:34 pm

Does your library buy books on request? Mine does, and if you're not in a hurry to read it, it will eventually be there for free :) That way, you can make requests for books on Aspergers and interesting fiction.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 3:48 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
Does your library buy books on request? Mine does, and if you're not in a hurry to read it, it will eventually be there for free :) That way, you can make requests for books on Aspergers and interesting fiction.

Thanks for the info. I will have to ask them next time I am there. :D

Pancho
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2006, 4:04 pm

dgd1788 wrote:
I just finished 'Curious Incident of the dog in the night time

I just finished reading that book too. I was going to start to read my book called 'Want to Play' by PJ Tracy but I haven't yet. I dont read a lot and it takes a lot to get me interested in a book. I can never seem to picture things in my head and I also have a short attention span so I get bored really quickly. I'de like to find a book that I really love.

I might read 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' again, I like this book because I can hear the radio show when I read it.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Oct 2006, 4:47 pm

In my rocking chair I'm reading "What Happens In Hamlet" (Dover Wilson). In the kitchen I'm reading "I Is For Innocence" (whatsername, alphabetic mysteries). In the front hall I've left that best-seller about the Crusades, which I'm not going to finish because it spends an extravagant amount of time discussing 1967, which I remember, which I don't want to remember - although she did spend some brief but very satisfying time on Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine (history's perfect couple).

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 4:56 pm

My regular reading this month is "A night in the lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny.

One chapter, one day, each day.

Otherwise "A Tonic to the Nation" a retrospective on the 1951 Festival of Britain

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 4:56 pm

I'm half-way through my bimonthly edition of the British satirical newspaper/magazine, Private Eye. As for books: I'm reading a book by a blogging English policeman called Wasting Police Time, which is about the huge amount of paperwork and petty crap the British police have to put up with. My third reading choice, is one I've had for several months but not actually got around to reading. My third reading choice is The Orange Order: A Tradition Betrayed, which is written by a serving Orangeman and charts the decline of the organisation into extremism in the last ten years or so. It's slightly interesting in parts but I suspect I would have got more out of it if I knew more about Orangeism and its history.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 5:30 pm

i'm currently almost finished jack kerouac's "doctor sax" and have also just started my second reading of guy debord's "society of the spectacle"

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 6:43 pm

James Joyce's Ulysses

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:17 pm

Emettman wrote:
My regular reading this month is "A night in the lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny.

One chapter, one day, each day.

Otherwise "A Tonic to the Nation" a retrospective on the 1951 Festival of Britain

Have you heard of the Amber World Series?

cyrus1874
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2006, 10:49 pm

I'm currently reading "The Code Book" by Simon Singh. Its non-fiction book about secret codes and cyphers. After that I'll probably get backto the Redwall series.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 7:46 am

dgd1788 wrote:
Have you heard of the Amber World Series?

That's baseball played by sodium floodlighting?

I came across "Nine Princes in Amber" when I was in my teens, and it was really my introduction into the fantasy side of SF. (Asimov, Clarke and White for the other end)
Lord of the Rings came later, for me. I have, or have read, almost everything from Roger Zelazny now. The first Amber series was wonderful. Despite notable moments, scenes and ideas, the second series was a definite disappointment (was it a contractual necessity, we wonder? It's happened to so many authors.)

He returned to the idea of lost individual on a quest he knows not more than once.
I enjoyed both "Coils" (with Saberhagen) and "Roadmarks".

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 8:58 am

The Autobiography of Matt Lucas & David Walliams "Inside Little Britain."

It's a good book.