Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2012, 3:44 pm

I've noticed that I startle very easily e.g. when my name is being called, when I see someone enter a room, when someone touches me...etc. but all, of course ,happen unexpectedly.
First of all, are there any other people here who startle easily?
And second, does anybody know if this is an issue related to anything in particular?

I'd like to startle less but I don't know why I do it in the first place. Unexpected things happen but they are not unsettling nor out of the ordinary.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2012, 4:14 pm

Mayel wrote:
I've noticed that I startle very easily e.g. when my name is being called, when I see someone enter a room, when someone touches me...etc. but all, of course ,happen unexpectedly.
And second, does anybody know if this is an issue related to anything in particular?

I'd like to startle less but I don't know why I do it in the first place. Unexpected things happen but they are not unsettling nor out of the ordinary.

I startle easily. Loud noise sucks but it's worse when something in my field of vision changes or moves, like someone entering a room. Even my shadow might startle me sometimes. The only thing I have ever found to help were meds, dark sunglasses or avoiding sensory deprivation.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

I startle easily. I don't know if it's related to anything but I know that some of my friends really enjoy it. Apparently, it's very fun to make me jump. :roll:

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

I startle easily, but at the same time my physical reaction to being startled is usually just to freeze and look in the direction of the disturbance. Another habit, when I'm physically startled, i.e. someone running up behind me and suddenly poking me or something - I often physically strike. One friend actually received two broken ribs like this.

I imagine the easy startling has something to do with Autism.

The_Sleeper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

My mums like that. Me and my brother always used to enjoy doing things like putting our faces up against the kitchen window at night while she's there washing the dishes and then wait for her to look up. She would jump 100% of times.

My youngest brother is like that too except he doesn't take it anywhere near as well. Back when he lived with me, i'd see him him enter out set of flats from the window and i'd know he's coming. I'd wait just inside the door. I'd let him enter the flat and as he came round the hall i'd jump out on him. Haha, it's making me laugh as i write this. I sometimes used to sneak up behind him in the kitchen too. He goes absolutely mental when someone scares him. For about a second after you scare him he's absolutely and completely out of control. I'd usually duck round a door after i'd done it, he's thrown things at me lots of times.

NakaCristo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

Mayel wrote:

I am startled with all of them.

Mayel wrote:

Seems common for aspies

Quote:

Search about Sensory Processing Disorders, Sensory Defensiveness and alike.

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

Yeah I startle easily too. I never really liked the movies that have parts that make you jump because they get me everytime.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:05 pm

keira wrote:
I startle easily. I don't know if it's related to anything but I know that some of my friends really enjoy it. Apparently, it's very fun to make me jump. :roll:

Same, they have a game at work to see who can do it the most times to me. :?

keira
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

Trigas wrote:
keira wrote:

Same, they have a game at work to see who can do it the most times to me. :?

Stupid people. :roll:

The_Sleeper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2012, 5:43 pm

But it's so funny... ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 6:06 pm

one time in rush hour traffic, a damned bee flew into the car, and i almost caused a wreck from being startled by that damned infernal buzzing thing flitting about my head. if somebody surprises me from behind, i've been known to almost jump out of my skin. :oops:

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2012, 6:20 pm

I get startled by sound easily even if I know something will make a noise . Its mostly to big sounds but smaller ones can startle me too. I even get startled fairly easily by people too. They say I am fun to scare lol.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 6:36 pm

MusicIsLife2Me wrote:
I get startled by sound easily even if I know something will make a noise . Its mostly to big sounds but smaller ones can startle me too. I even get startled fairly easily by people too. They say I am fun to scare lol.

IMHO, somebody needs to bury a cattle prod in those folks' nether regions, and see how they like being "startled." :x

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 6:44 pm

Yep, I startle easily.

I identify with self-diagnosed SPD comorbid to my Asperger's.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 7:04 pm

ha. Yes. That is my hallmark.

My friends have a video of me playing with a Jack-in-the-Box. Of course I knew the stupid thing was going to pop out at the end, but by watching the video, you'd think I'd never seen or heard of one in my life, because I jump up AND back several feet.

Sudden sounds and movements get me every time.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2012, 8:07 pm

Two days ago I got home and my wife and daughter were standing outside in a spot where I don't usually find them hanging out, and I didn't see them until my wife says my name. I jump out of my skin.. and was therefore ill-equipped for the Serious Discussion they'd been waiting to have with me. They didn't even realize the effect it had on me until I explained it hours later after everyone calmed down.

At work, they have us in a big open area gathered around tables with no walls. (Yes, folks, I miss cubicles!) Work started going much better when I was finally able to move to the outside of the group and not have half the people constantly behind me where I couldn't see them.... and where I couldn't see them coming until they tapped me on the shoulder. Very, very distracting.