Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2012, 3:56 am

Anybody else have this problem? :?

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 5:13 am

Yes, some antipsychotics have this effect but not at all.

Which one are you on and what is the reason you are taking it?

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2012, 6:15 am

When I first started Abilify (with Lexapro) I was so tired, but the Lexapro made me unable to sleep, so I was doubly tired.
Fortunately after a month my body got used to it and I stopped experiencing those side effects. I am one of the lucky ones though. Some people never get used to it. If the side effects you feel persist for over a month, I'd see the doctor about changing the medication and/or dosage.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 9:52 am

You should take it in the evening. When I first started taking Risperidal, the doctor at the hospital didn't know what she was doing and told the hospital people to give it to me in the morning...she also put me on a really high dose. I remember I couldn't walk because I was so tired.

Risperidal also made me gain 70lb, destroyed my sex drive, and caused me to lactate. I'm so glad I'm finally going off of it!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

Perhaps ask your doctor about starting at a very low dose and very slowly working up?

diniesaur wrote:
You should take it in the evening. When I first started taking Risperidal, the doctor at the hospital didn't know what she was doing and told the hospital people to give it to me in the morning...she also put me on a really high dose. I remember I couldn't walk because I was so tired.

For future reference, doctors priorities are different in a hospital. They use the 24 hour supervision to do things with meds rapidly that would be risky to do at office visits. It's not like you have things to do and places to go, so they load you up on meds to get you stable and discharged as soon as possible.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
Yes, some antipsychotics have this effect but not at all.

Which one are you on and what is the reason you are taking it?

I'm taking haloperidol because two doctors said I have schizophrenia and another thinks I have aspergers. One of the doctors who thinks I have schizophrenia prescribed me the haloperidol.