Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DEdwards
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2012, 11:45 pm

Hello. I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out how to let some things slide like why people can't figure out when I'm talking about. I think I'm very clear when I write but people just don't seem to get it. For example: I was talking how much I don't like a certain movie that is a fan-favorite because of some goofs in it. The fans just want to say, "It's science fiction. It makes for a good story" or some other kind of talk.

Essentially, I'm having a hard time coming to terms that I'm not well understood. I'm hoping someone here can relate.

Thanks for reading.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 12:03 am

DEdwards wrote:
Hello. I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out how to let some things slide like why people can't figure out when I'm talking about. I think I'm very clear when I write but people just don't seem to get it. For example: I was talking how much I don't like a certain movie that is a fan-favorite because of some goofs in it. The fans just want to say, "It's science fiction. It makes for a good story" or some other kind of talk.

Essentially, I'm having a hard time coming to terms that I'm not well understood. I'm hoping someone here can relate.

Thanks for reading.

It's one of my pet peeves. I write something and I hate it when it gets taken out of context or when people miss the point. To me it's very clear what I am saying. I often let it slide because I can't be arsed to argue because from experience I learned doing that by repeating myself and saying it in different ways and trying to add more details to get them to get it makes it worse. They will then think I am back pedaling or contradicting myself and they get even more confused. To me all these people are stupid, too stupid to see they misunderstood you, so it's not worth arguing with these folks. It just be talking to a brick wall and they are a waste of my time. Then later on I just wished I argued with them like I used to in the past.

Also it gets obvious to me that the other person has their own issues so their mind is clouded so it makes them take what I say the wrong way or out of context. When they mention their experience for one, it tells me no wonder they interpret my post the wrong way. It's easier to let it slide that way because it's their problem, not mine so I don't find them worth arguing with. They also tend to project their issues onto you by making assumptions about you assuming you are one of those people they have issues with. And the odd thing is some of these people also have autism and since we tend to take things literal, they still take things out of context and ignore the rest of the post someone writes. I mean shouldn't they be reading the text and follow it? But it could be the depression that is making them do it. I recently learned on here depression does that to people.

It's very hard to figure out when it's you with communication problems or them with the problem. But like I say, it gets obvious to me that someone has their own issues so it's them, not me. Also what you wrote in your OP, it just sounds like they disagreed with you. Not that they misunderstood you. You think it wasn't good because of the goofs, those people don't care about the goofs, to them it's just science fiction and the story is good so that's all it matters to them.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 6:22 am

This is the main thing that causes me to go over conversations in my head, rewrite them, play them back, over and over. I believe I'm quite neurotic about such things. I'm very good at writing my thoughts down, but when I'm speaking with someone, I often feel I haven't managed to get my point across and have blown the interaction. I'll often speak about things which, in my mind, help to illustrate the point better. But, the other person ends up wondering why I'm talking about some seemingly unrelated topic. The last person I had this effect on was the depute head at my daughter's school and I think she thinks I'm a bit scatty now.