Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 6:55 am

Lent starts tomorrow. I hope each and every one of you has a fantastic Lent. :D Anyone giving up any luxuries for Lent?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:38 pm

Oh man, thanks for reminding me! I totally forgot about that. I haven't thought about what I'm going to give up this time. I'm thinking I might give up online shopping. That way, I can teach myself to appreciate what I already have.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:41 pm

i'm giving up for lent

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

whats a lent?

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:51 pm

- Lent, many of the faithful commit to fasting or giving up certain types of luxury as a form of penitence.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

MXH wrote:
whats a lent?

It's part of the Catholic religion. It begins with Ash Wednesday, where you go to Mass (church) and get a mark of ashes on your forehead (I forgot why we have to do this). Then you have to fast every day and refrain from eating meat on Fridays. You also have to give up something of luxury. It can be anything from chocolate, to sexual activity, to anything else that is unnecessary (for example, I am giving up online shopping, because I only use it to buy things I'd like to have but don't need). Lent ends on Easter Sunday.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 3:02 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
MXH wrote:
whats a lent?

It's part of the Catholic religion. It begins with Ash Wednesday, where you go to Mass (church) and get a mark of ashes on your forehead (I forgot why we have to do this). Then you have to fast every day and refrain from eating meat on Fridays. You also have to give up something of luxury. It can be anything from chocolate, to sexual activity, to anything else that is unnecessary (for example, I am giving up online shopping, because I only use it to buy things I'd like to have but don't need). Lent ends on Easter Sunday.

ohh ok, i just only know of it in spanish.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
MXH wrote:
whats a lent?

According to Catholic.org:

"Ashes are a symbol of penance made sacramental by the blessing of the Church, and they help us develop a spirit of humility and sacrifice."

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 3:57 pm

I gave up lent ages ago.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

I always thought the whole point of Lent was to not enjoy it.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 3:34 pm

I am Catholic and will give up eating junk food for Lent.

{Even though today, I just ate a Hershey bar. :oops: :oops: }

I am NOT giving up going to a movie theater to see movies in my spare time
for Lent because that would be tough to do and I love movies. :oops: :oops:

Last edited by AnonymousAnonymous on 23 Feb 2012, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara1991
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2012, 5:18 pm

Yesterday was Fauschnaut day \o/
I forgot that lent started today... So I was sitting there with a fauschnaut half eaten in my mouth and my grandmom says 'today starts lent'... I pretty much said darn it and finished eating the fauschnaut.

For anyone who doesn't know what a fauschnaut is its a fatty doughnut that is traditional for Germans (as well as the PA dutch) to eat for shrove Tuesday.