Feeling lonely in a social environment, feeling well alone

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

Can anybody else relate? I feel very lonely and overwhelmed when I'm in a social environment, but I feel well when I'm locked in my own room. However, if I keep revisiting the social environment on a daily basis, the loneliness also spreads to the time when I'm alone.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm

True for me. I feel a lot more lonely in a social environment, and because I feel self conscious and out of place and "wrong", i get overwhelmed pretty quickly . I never feel lonely when alone , and if i followed my gut, i might type something as silly as "how can anyone feel lonely when they're alone?"; which makes no sense at all :) It's what I feel however .
edit: and you're right about the spreading . I can't explain it though ..... could be social overdose taking a bit long to dissipate ? I don't think it comes from "being made aware that i am lonely ", I don't like the effect socializing has on me. Somehow, I think it angers me, if that makes sense, and then for a little whil, after it's been over for a bit, i feel "resentful ", I think .

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 5:54 pm

I feel lonely if there's no social environment I can go to, but more lonely when in a bad one.

Actually going to the social environment isn't what makes me feel not lonely, just the knowledge that I'd be welcome there.

Paulie_C
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2012, 5:01 am

I tend to feel out of place in social environments which does give me a sense of loneliness. I sometimes feel very alone when I'm by myself but I feel comfortable at least.

SkipNip
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2012, 6:49 am

Yeah. I'm immune to loneliness when I'm on my own but in a group of people, I feel uncomfortable unless I'm with someone I know well like my brother or friend.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 8:06 am

I do, although it used to be worse when I was concerned with with people would think about me if I went off by myself for a bit...

My android phone has helped that... now if I wonder off I just fidget with my phone and people figure I must be texting or something and leave me alone. They may still think that I am the type of person who doesn't want to be a part of the crowd so much but I dont care because I am usually distracting myself with my phone... Funny thing is, I dont text anyone :p I literally dont have the cell phone number of anyone else on my phone so little do they know... whatever I am doing is by far not very important and simply an excuse for me.

Having found out that I have Aspergers has helped actually... in my head I have something to tell them if they ever had the guts to ask why I go off on my own... Most people would be too shy to ask and I definitely wouldn't really tell anyone but still it's nice to know that I have an excuse in my own head for wanting to separate from the crowd.

Alone time is great for me... definitely never have a problem with being lonely. When I do feel lonely alone I go online and connect with people in the safety of the other side of a computer. :D

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

22 Feb 2012, 9:27 am

well there is a special kind of hell in being in a crowd and feeling utterly alone. The disconnect between me and others is a dead cold silence in a buzzing blurred social beehive around me.
That silence between me and them...is the loudest of all.

However being alone never feels that way for me...I feel in perfect company with myself.

Jojo