Your Cubicle or Office What Makes It Yours......

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2012, 8:57 pm

OK

You work and that special place that is yours. What does it look like? What is special about it? What one thing did you bring from home that makes it yours? Radio? Picture? Desk Accessories? Anything? Please feel free to share pictures. Share your stories, what do you need at work to get through the day?

Bill

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2012, 10:48 pm

My collection of Andrew Bell Android figurines (including some really rare ones -- Snowman, Vampire, and Cai Shen Dao)

My genuine Lexmark Model M keyboard with Trackpoint

My Logitech G700 mouse

My "Black Cats" calendar

The solid-state refrigerator large enough to hold 4 cans of Diet Mountain Dew

And, of course... moi.

The sad irony is that the best office I ever had was at the first company I worked for after graduating from college -- 17th floor, corner office, in downtown Coral Gables (Florida) with a view of Biscayne Bay (several miles away, but I could see boats and water anyway). Obviously, it was a dotcom company that spared no expense (and unfortunately, went bankrupt ~9 months later). What kind of sucks is that every office I've had since that point has been worse than the one before. I went from my own 17th-floor ~180sf corner office with frosted glass door, multiple windows, and a view to die for to an office that was still my own, but had no windows to the outside (just a window into another room with a window), to a slightly better office that I had to share with 3 others, to a cube adjacent to a big wall of windows, to a cube within view of a window, to a half-height cube half the size that's barely big enough to put three 24" monitors side-by-side, and I had to practically threaten to quit if I didn't at least get a cube within sight of a window with a view of the outside. Sigh. I'm obviously doing something wrong. My work environment keeps getting worse and worse with every step I'm supposedly taking UP the career ladder :(

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 11:05 pm

kg4fxg wrote:
...What one thing did you bring from home that makes it yours?...
Bill

Bring from home? I live here!

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2012, 3:13 am

I love the Andrew Bell Android figurines, nice touch.

Here is my list....
Logitech wireless mouse
Large very shiny clean mouse pad
Tall cylinder fan from Brookstone
Scentsy Candle (no flame)
Statue of Ballerina by Degas
Wooden platform for holding papers by Levenger
Bose "Bluetooth" speaker
Ayn Rand Sign of the Dollar Ashtray for my Volcano E-Cigarette
Special "Bullet Space Pen"

Oh, yes at 10 hours a day I do feel like I live here too! A refrigerator would be a nice touch or a wine cooler?

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:20 pm

My list:

- Logitech trackball,
- glowing USB-powered orb
- cheap-and-crappy headphones
- mario figurines: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Koopa, Shyguy and Lakitu
- Lakitu plushie
- "365 stupidest things ever said" calendar

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 4:02 pm

Steve the Safety Gnome (I use him as a holder for my lab safety glasses) and a Cthulhu bobblehead.