How do you deal with Asperger-related social anxiety?

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm

pat2rome wrote:
I have actually been able to overcome this social anxiety.

Further proof of this: this morning I got in the elevator with two very cute girls from class that I hadn't talked to before. Took my headphones off and made successful small talk until we walked into the classroom.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

You are worthy of a medal in my book! Way to go!

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:43 pm

I can't deal with it. I'm a social recluse.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 3:23 pm

Longshanks wrote

Quote:
. Never hesitate to seek help. I never have hesitated. It wastes energy and time to do so. And never lose your determination. By never losing that, I rose to a majority in the Air Force Reserve from the enlisted ranks. I'm as disfunctional as any other heavily inflicted Aspie. I have it bad. I lived my life by reaching out. It was the only thing I figured I could do. The only person limiting your potential is you.

You'll have to fight. You'll always have to fight. But things do get easier as you learn and get practice. You'll always be different. But you're also always significant - at least in my God's eyes you are!

There is something else you should remember - and you need to cherish the idea as well: Asperger's can be a wonderful gift. You will have talents and senses- that are better than the normal person and it is these things that can propel you to success - if you train yourself - at times with help - to use these things in the right way.

I'm pretty lucky that I have some really good friends also, both on WP and IRL.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 5:54 pm

gadge wrote:
Longshanks wrote
Quote:
. Never hesitate to seek help. I never have hesitated. It wastes energy and time to do so. And never lose your determination. By never losing that, I rose to a majority in the Air Force Reserve from the enlisted ranks. I'm as disfunctional as any other heavily inflicted Aspie. I have it bad. I lived my life by reaching out. It was the only thing I figured I could do. The only person limiting your potential is you.

You'll have to fight. You'll always have to fight. But things do get easier as you learn and get practice. You'll always be different. But you're also always significant - at least in my God's eyes you are!

There is something else you should remember - and you need to cherish the idea as well: Asperger's can be a wonderful gift. You will have talents and senses- that are better than the normal person and it is these things that can propel you to success - if you train yourself - at times with help - to use these things in the right way.

I'm pretty lucky that I have some really good friends also, both on WP and IRL.

Gadge, we may not be related, but you'll always bve a brother to me! Don't you forget it!

Longshanks :D

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

northbrbrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2012, 12:03 am

Uncertainty wrote:
1. This will be an in depth conversation =)

2. I also have Asperger's my friend so i feel very familiar with where you are coming from

3. I read your post.... and there are a lot of things i can say to you compadre... But where im going to start is... about this eye contact. That was a problem i dealt with much myself. The best solution to that is practice. I know it sounds cheesy.... but do you have someone you can practice having conversations with? even if just trying to incorporate eye contact into the conversation.... I feel as though this will get you on the right path.... it did for me in a way... {So basically what im saying is it sounds like you that there are some good habits out there that once you try incorporating into your routine will improve the quality of your day socially and overall =)

4. I'm hoping for more conversation from you amigo ^^
I feel like i have a lot more to say. but ill save it for the next part of this conversation

Hi Uncertainty,
I'm not too experienced with online conversational exchange but will face my fears and go ahead anyway....thank you for the opportunity to practice :)

To answer your question about eye-contact, I don't have someone I'm close enough to to practice with, but there are acquaintances. The trouble is that when in a conversation, it is hard to maintain eye-contact without becoming anxious. However, maybe a form of practice (exposure) will help.

northbrbrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2012, 12:06 am

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. By the sheer number of people who can relate to feeling anxiety in social situations, will hazard a guess that it is more common among people on the spectrum than the average.

skribble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2012, 7:43 am

I don't really know how to, I kind of just get really tense and quiet.
I can walk out in public etc but I get really bored of it all cos i got no friends.

sometimes i do go running, but am currently "recovering" from depression (again) and I've been feeling real tired the past few days (happens when depression is "lifting" etc) so haven't been going at all.

cheers,
skribble

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 8:04 am

CrazyCatLord wrote:
I can't deal with it. I'm a social recluse.

Me too.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 8:14 am

Quote:
Hoe do you deal with Asperger-related social anxiety?

I don't.

Drugs have been no help so far. I'm getting a counsellor soon to help, I hope it does.

I seem to be very self-contradictory though when it comes to social anxiety. I can't talk very well to people and I'm very shy, yet I do things in public when I'm in a bit of a manic mood that make me stick out like a sore thumb, and don't care about it.

I'm always missing bits in conversations and stuff because I'm always thinking of the "right" response, and I am always delayed in my reactions.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

millymollymandy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2012, 6:16 am

LongLostSelf wrote:
My social anxiety was actualy masking my aspiness. It wasn't until I lifted my social anxiety through CBT that I noticed lots of other symptoms of Aspergers, now my social anxiety is back with a vengeance :(

This sounds familiar! I've been having CBT to help me cope with social anxiety, and have realised that I actually have a lot of other symptoms too. But the social anxiety is the aspect I find most difficult to handle.

I have found that some aspects can be eased a little though - by training yourself to become more at ease with eye contact, for example. As Uncertainty suggested, this can help. You don't even need to be in a full blown conversation or at a social gathering etc - you could start by making eye contact with the cashier at the supermarket, for example. Just remember not to hold eye contact for very long, or you may make people feel uncomfortable.

Being self-aware can be a real burden - as Joe90 so neatly described. I don't think there are any quick fixes but there are certainly ways to try and get it under control. From my experience, learning new habits can help - and that's where CBT can be useful as you have someone to support you as you learn them.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 10:42 am

Not very well. My anxieties are so illogical that nobody understands. It just causes arguments, like ''but you don't mind X so why don't you like Y?'' sorts of arguments. And most of the time even I can't find the answer as to why I'm anxious about a certain thing. So when people ask why I'm anxious about this, I usually find myself saying, ''because I just am.''

Anxiety can cause outbursts, mood swings, tiredness, anger, and even severe paranoia and self-consciousness. And it then goes round and round in a vicious circle, and I cannot seem to break out of it.

I think I know what the problem is, though. It's because I fear being different, yet I struggle to be like everyone else at the same time. And so that's why it causes great stress and anxiety. And it causes arguments like this:-

Me: I don't want to move out of my home
NT: Why not?
Me: Because I can't cope with the change and the stress of it
NT: But you have your heart set on moving out with a boyfriend
Me: But I'd be living with somebody then. I don't want to live on my own
NT: But social services can sort out a flat or bungalow for you to share with somebody who also has a disability
Me: But sharing somewhere with another person with a disability might causes us to clash. I can't cope with the stress of it
NT: But sharing with a boyfriend can be just as stressful, if not even more. Men and women often have arguments and disagreements

Ohh, just nobody can win in this situation! I just want to move out with a boyfriend because that is what most girls do, or they move out with their mates, but mostly with a boyfriend. I don't want to live with another girl with a disability.

So having answer-less goals all the time causes great anxiety because I just don't know what I want to do with my life. I just can't handle anything properly.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 11:46 am

Longshanks is right, don't blame the soldiers. If the country gets in a war that is illegal or something, blame the freaking politcians who sent them there!
And please avoid sterotyping vets. Most people with PTSD do not go around killing people.
(Back to the thread topic)
As far as my coping with social anxiety. Well, alcohol can help, but I still have issues, like meeting new females, etc. Or crowds. I can still get panic attacks, even though I have worked in retail for years. I do not think I will ever be rid of it.

Sincerely,
Matthew

northbrbrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2012, 12:46 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I used to have terrible anxiety about being around anyone, mainly because of bullying in school, being made fun of for every little thing, etc. Once I got into my teens I started being more assertive and trying on different "roles", I started enjoying the outcast type role and the person who would just say something offensive simply because it was true. I didn't stay that way but for a few years luckily.

After high school, I realized that in the real world nobody is under the intense scrutiny that you are back in school. The more people I talked to, and the more I saw different types of reactions than the standard "appropriate" ones, I realized that the world if full of people who all react differently. That's when I realized that nobody really cares what others do or say. As an adult, the most others will think is that you are a bit odd, but unless you are agressively rude, they won't think you are a mean person. The most they will think is that you may lack some social skills, and most don't hold that against you long term.

That is reassuring to consider, because I frequently worry about making some fatal social blunder, the kind where the other person thinks "aah, her true nature was revealed with that remark".... It is frustrating.

Ethedrial
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Mar 2012, 2:54 am

I can relate to everything you've described. Also, I'm going to go ahead and apologize for my wall of text. I don't do it on purpose, but it's sort of my trademark. :?

I have a hard time turning acquaintances into friends and usually wait for people to make friends with me (instead of the other way around), but somehow I managed to find myself a NT husband. He is both a gift and a crutch for me in social situations. While he's not a very empathetic person, he is trying more and more to understand why I act the way I do and what he can do to help. He first made friends with all of the friends I have now. If I worry that something I said was taken the wrong way, or if I don't know how to interpret the way someone acted, I ask him. He's a crutch because I use him to order food for me, call customer service, and bring up subjects with friends that may be sensitive (usually I just imagine they would be sensitive topics when they're not). While I realize this doesn't help you in your current situation (you said you had no one to practice eye contact with), it does partly answer the question posed in the thread title.

I have been hurt a lot in the past by people that I trusted, all because I acted "weird" socially. That's what taught me to not speak, always worry about what people think about me, and second guess everything I want to say, but all that is wrong. People worth being friends with don't act that way, those were just insensitive, self-centered adolescents. I have learned that, for the most part, NTs don't go over what someone said, how they said it, and what they meant by the words over and over in their heads long after the words have been said(though flirting situations are probably different, but in another way). They just roll with the conversation and interaction. If something I say bothers them, I can pick up on more obvious cues or they may bring it up and I can fix it then, but other than that there's not much to be done besides staying away from politics, religion, and other touchy subjects. Knowing this, I still replay conversations constantly and edit what I want to say three or four times before I say it, but sometimes I do it less. :wink:

Eye contact: I taught myself how to do this a while ago. You say it still makes you anxious. Start off looking near the eyes (right under the eye, bridge of the nose, corner of the eye, as close as you feel comfortable) or try unfocusing your eyes a bit so you don't feel like you're looking straight into someone's eyes. Once you start to feel anxious, even just a bit, drift your gaze off to the side, maybe resting somewhere just behind them or on their ear. Once you start to feel more easy, you can drift your gaze back to the eyes or around the eyes. Most NTs drift their gaze and come back to the eyes while talking anyway. I read a thread on this site earlier where someone said he felt comfortable looking a person in one eye, but not both. Like millymollymandy said, practicing on cashiers is a good idea. That is actually how I practice(d) greetings, with which I still don't feel completely comfortable.

Again, sorry for the wall of text. I hope it helps you more than it annoys you! :D

Last edited by Ethedrial on 14 Mar 2012, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 3:01 am

I'm here with you on this one. It's hard being awkward and odd because it makes you feel weird. People already make me feel weird enough, but combine that with feeling awkward and weird in you're own skin and you have a pretty shaking social setting. I always ended up saying the weirdest stuff because I was nervous, anything to hold unto a conversation. As a kid it be a simple statement out of the blue out of nowhere and nothing related to what people were talking about such as "the sky is blue" just that clear statement. And people just thought the heck was wrong with me and would ignore me. Now as an adult, I feel awkward. Like I don't have the right timing, I don't know if I am continuing a conversation on to long at the cashier. Like today I go to get my credit card out of my wallet, but realize I put my card in a different wallet pocket, I apologize I must have put it in the wallet pocket, they laugh say they do it all the time, I said yeah it's annoying, then I slid the card and paid for my stuff and said let me put this in the right pocket since I'm here. But I think the conversation was over after I paid. I feel so awkward in social situations, like a bumbling idiot.