Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SkipNip
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

I think mainly in pictures. Anyone else here do this? How do you find college? I've been observing myself learn and I see that when the concept has no visual representation, I come up with these abstract mental images consisting of containers, boxes and all kinds of different objects that connect to each other in various ways. This allows me to understand the concepts but I have a disadvantage because when I'm doing an exam, its not always possible to convert the mental images into words.

valerieclaires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

I usually think in pictures, too. Sometimes, I end up using really complicated and drawn out analogies to explain myself, but I find that that doesn't always work so well and people may not understand what I am trying to say. In college, it hasn't been too difficult for me yet, because of the nature of the classes I've taken so far, but I did find some less-visual classes difficult in high school. Usually, I ended up making my own visual aids, like diagrams, charts, and graphs, when there weren't any provided, or I looked for something similar on the internet. It might help to find an instructor or classmate who is also a more visual thinker to help explain concepts to you, because they might understand how your thought patterns work and how to work with them.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm

I am not solely a visual thinker, but I handle visual input the best. I am not good at higher maths, but can handle basic math okay. I find that when I am doing a math problem in my head, especially larger amounts, I tend to "batch up" parts of the problem, and then I can handle it better. I will handle the the single digits as a batch, the amounts in the tens place as a batch, and the amounts in the hundred place as another batch, and so on. Then once I have solved each batch, I combine them for the finished product. This seems to work good for me in doing a math problem. I often don't need to write down the problem when using this method. I have not been a student for decades, but I do sometimes need to deal with basic math in my daily life.

Although I am not deaf, I do have a tendency to watch lips when people are talking, as I seem to input and process their conversation better, when I can see, as well as hear it. That's part of my doing better with visual input.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2012, 2:11 pm

I'm a very visual thinker. I find that I also tend to process language visually. It's rather more difficult for me to absorb information from spoken language than it is from written words though I find that if I try to visualize the words as I listen to them, I have a much clearer memory of what I have heard. For instance, I have a much higher chance of remembering someone's name if they spell it out or show it to me in writing. Otherwise, I'll likely remember their face but not their name.

Being a visual thinker works well in my art major though I'm also majoring in history. When my history professors lecture, I create images in my head to "act out" the narrative, much as I did as a child when my teachers or parents read books to me. I do find that learning to speak and listen to foriegn languages is much harder for me than for most people but I tend to do well with writing and reading. In general I like being a visual thinker since with a little practice I can create visual images of information from textbooks for recall during tests or class discussions.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

Yes, I am very visual as well, but not always. It all depends on the subject matter. I generally work on my engineering problems visually, but for things like history or philosophy I carry on conversations with myself.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

I'm not quite sure if I am a visual thinker, but when I'm trying to calculate something difficult or problem solve, I will picture abstract objects in the space in front of me, and move them about in space. I'm don't have an eidetic memory, and I'm not a genius, but this usually works to solve the problem.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 10:19 am

I'm an incredibly visual AND verbal thinker. I think in both words and pictures all of the time.

Nash: Is there a difference?

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 11:07 am

I am an artist and a writer.