Weirdest things you hear about Asperger's?

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TalusJumper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2012, 9:31 pm

"You don't have Asperger Syndrome, you're just shy! :roll:

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:24 pm

Regarding synaesthesia-For me I assign gender and personalities to numbers. For example 1,3,5,6,9 are all male. 2,4,7,8 are female. 1 is the son of 2 and 3-who are married to each other. 5 is middle aged and single. 6 is in his mid 20's. 7 is in her 40's and 8 is in her 50's they are friends. 9 is 8's son or that's the type of relationship they have with each other.

I've only told one other person about this (my Aspie). It's the weirdest thing but I've thought this way since I was very young, like 8 or so.

WEIRD HUH????

And guess what? I'm NT!! !

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 12:01 am

From a childfree forum:

Quote:
While I do feel sorry for the Autistic kids, IF a "special needs" kid enjoys being touched, hugged, sitting on Santa's lap, etc......then while he may have mental retardation or emotional issues of some sort, he is NOT Autistic and I am sick of people saying that ALL of these emotionally disturbed kids are Autistic because they are NOT. I call the ones "awtards" who I don't think have Autism, based on what these moos post about their kid. If he is showing emotion, wanting to be hugged, desiring to "fit in", etc.........he isn't Autistic. I also think "spectrums" is a full of s**t bogus diagnosis when they can't figure out what to call whatever is wrong with the kid too from mild mental retardation to just not disciplined. I have ALWAYS said these misdiagnoses do the truly Autistic kids a grave disservice

Some common traits of Autistism which can be verified most anywhere:
No fear of danger.
Over or under sensitivity to pain.
May avoid eye contact with you.
May prefer to be by him/herself.
Has difficulty expressing what they want or need - may then try to use gestures.
May echo words or phrases.
May have inappropriate attachments to objects.
May spin his/herself or objects.
Prolonged repetitive play.
May insist on things/routines always being the same.
May exhibit inappropriate laughing (laughing when not appropriate to the situation).
May display tantrums for no apparent reason.
May avoid cuddling.
May exhibit self injurious behavior when upset i.e. biting selves or banging heads.
An overall difficulty interacting with others.

Does THIS sound like a kid who would enjoy sitting on Santa's lap? I f*****g think NOT.

So autistic kids don't sit on Santa's lap and enjoy it? If you do, you are not autistic. Nice. :roll:

The person I quote had a lot more written in her post but I thought this part was the best.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2012, 8:26 am

Weirdly there're the people who know that autism is a spectrum disorder, and understand what a spectrum is... but think that the spectrum then encompasses absolutely everyone (so everyone must therefore be on the spectrum) :roll:

My mother thinks Asperger's is just a fad diagnosis - because every other kid seems to be being diagnosed with it.
... whereas she'd never heard of it when we were growing up... in the 1970s!! :roll:

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 7:05 pm

MONKEY wrote:
"Everyone's a bit autistic, it's just normal behaviour but if you're diagnosed autistic then it's just normal behaviour but more of it!"

The biggest load of BS I've ever heard.

It's just their opinion. Not based on real facts. That's the most "amusing" aspect of it.

CockneyRebel wrote:
That we have absolutely no empathy or Theory Of Mind when it comes to the needs and wants of other people.

A personal favourite of mine.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

That aspie's are "fascinated by traps" :lol: :lol:

That gives me a bellyache every time. :lmao:

Sickpuppies124
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2012, 7:22 pm

When I tell people I have Aspergers, they dismiss it and just say I'm introvert and that Autistic people all talk funny or some other stereotype.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:44 pm

That it's basically just a learning disability.

At age 23, I tried to explain to my older brother that A.S. was fundamental to my identity. In the course of that conversation, he said he understood me better than anyone else could, because, as he stated: "if anyone can relate to having Aspergers, I can, because I have dyslexia"

Nevermind that during highschool he had told me, and that he'd told other people, that "technically speaking" I'm mentally ret*d.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 1:06 am

That Asperger's is a fake disease, made up by people who just want attention. :roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 2:37 am

I remember my first ex saying he figured AS is some sort of ADHD and I remember him telling me he tells people it's a form of it. His excuse was "lot of people don't know what autism is but they do know what ADHD is so I say it's a type of it." I am sure those people have heard of the internet and know how to use Google. :roll:

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 9:22 am

Some people have absolutely no idea how we operate at all.

I was at a disability studies conference this past weekend presenting some poetry along with some others with disabilties. After the sessions ended, one of the organizers and I got into chatting, and she seemed like a genuinely open-minded, nice person. Imagine my surprise when my boyfriend told me that when he introduced himself to her as my boyfriend, she asked/clarified if he was my support worker. Understandably, he was confused and was taken aback. People need to stop relying on such stereotypes about AS. Yes, we are socially awkward, but we are capable of having friendships and relationships with people.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

nemorosa wrote:
That aspie's are "fascinated by traps" :lol: :lol:

That gives me a bellyache every time. :lmao:

What does it mean?

TigerSlash1231
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2014, 9:51 pm

I've heard more misconceptions about adhd, but that's because I was diagnosed. Lots of my classmates are just like " then try not to daydream."

like ok and while i do that how about you try not breathe, eat and all the other things that are important in your life. :roll:

Paleonerd21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2023, 12:37 am

Bun wrote:
Today, I tried to describe synaesthesia to someone who hasn't heard of it before. She said 'Oh, Asperger's! It's a form of autism'. There wasn't a reference to Asperger's in anything I said, nor does she know about my connection to WP, or the group therapy I go to. It just seemed like she thought synaesthesia IS Asperger's Syndrome.

What is the weirdest misconception/story/myth you've heard about Asperger's?

I also have experiences with synesthesia but I haven’t yet had anyone associate it with autism.

To answer the question, one of the weirdest things people have said about autism is that it’s caused by digestive issues or certain foods or ingredients.
Another is that excessive TV exposure is to blame.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 2:52 pm

"If you can use Twitter, you don't have autism. Fire your therapist" (Wasn't directed at me)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2023, 10:02 pm

Here is a man who never got the childhood intervention he needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSeHmygz9c