Weirdest things you hear about Asperger's?

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TigerSlash1231
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2014, 9:51 pm

I've heard more misconceptions about adhd, but that's because I was diagnosed. Lots of my classmates are just like " then try not to daydream."

like ok and while i do that how about you try not breathe, eat and all the other things that are important in your life. :roll:

Paleonerd21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2023, 12:37 am

Bun wrote:
Today, I tried to describe synaesthesia to someone who hasn't heard of it before. She said 'Oh, Asperger's! It's a form of autism'. There wasn't a reference to Asperger's in anything I said, nor does she know about my connection to WP, or the group therapy I go to. It just seemed like she thought synaesthesia IS Asperger's Syndrome.

What is the weirdest misconception/story/myth you've heard about Asperger's?

I also have experiences with synesthesia but I haven’t yet had anyone associate it with autism.

To answer the question, one of the weirdest things people have said about autism is that it’s caused by digestive issues or certain foods or ingredients.
Another is that excessive TV exposure is to blame.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 2:52 pm

"If you can use Twitter, you don't have autism. Fire your therapist" (Wasn't directed at me)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2023, 10:02 pm

Here is a man who never got the childhood intervention he needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSeHmygz9c

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 10:19 pm

"You don't have any syndrome. You were just a normal kid who read newspapers at age 4."

The worst one is that Asperger's people don't have emotions. We do, but we express them differently and at a different threshold.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 8:13 pm

That we're all kids. All this support (some good, some bad) to help the autistic kids. Do they think we just get cured when we turn into adults? Or do they think we just dissapear?