Weirdest things you hear about Asperger's?

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

Today, I tried to describe synaesthesia to someone who hasn't heard of it before. She said 'Oh, Asperger's! It's a form of autism'. There wasn't a reference to Asperger's in anything I said, nor does she know about my connection to WP, or the group therapy I go to. It just seemed like she thought synaesthesia IS Asperger's Syndrome.

What is the weirdest misconception/story/myth you've heard about Asperger's?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:30 pm

You know I'm always shocked when I don't hear something weird about AS. There is so much ignorance out there. The one that bothers me most is when people think AS and psychopath/sociopath are synonymous. oddly I've run across a few posts on this forum where people don't seem to know the difference.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:40 pm

Apparently we are all like Rain Man.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:43 pm

EmmaUK12 wrote:

I really like your avatar.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:46 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
EmmaUK12 wrote:

Why thank you, yours is awesome!

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm

EmmaUK12 wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
EmmaUK12 wrote:

Why thank you, yours is awesome!

Thanks! I had to put Big Bird over the finger at the request of a mod. But it really didn't change the picture much, either way it's a big bird. :D

You guys probably don't say "flipping the bird" over there.

Last edited by Rascal77s on 22 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm

That people with Aspergers have a specific face shape, are all male, and that infantile injections made them that way. o.O

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

That we all sound like robots.

("You don't have it, my cousin does and he sounds just like a robot!")

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:08 pm

Oh, I hate 'you don't have it, my relative does'-replies, they're just baffling. It's more baffling when I found out a lot of people have been told that, that makes it another common phrase which makes no sense at all to me!

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Feb 2012, 1:14 pm

Bun wrote:
Oh, I hate 'you don't have it, my relative does'-replies, they're just baffling. It's more baffling when I found out a lot of people have been told that, that makes it another common phrase which makes no sense at all to me!

Exactly!

Besides, the Autism Spectrum is not your average spectrum. It would look extremely broad if drawn on a piece of paper, and it wouldn't have an average. Each case of Autism is unique to the individual (one of the reasons why it's difficult to diagnose!).

Saying so-and-so has it and you don't makes no sense.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

A genuine question too. As if I'm a non-muggle, X-mutant.... Like, It's flattering that I get lumped into "Super Genius" ala Rainman, Pi, or Dougie Houser-Starship Toopers-DrHorrible-Harold and Kumar(Neil Patrick Harris), catagory. But I'm just a run of the mill average Joe. Average Bloke. just a dude....... With only a few points above 90 (median of adult IQ.... I think),

Well unless you count lighting super hero reflexes evertime there's a sudden and strange sound. Ie. Shanghai honking. lol. I'm a regular cat ninja....Or I'm an ugly Troll goblin in my messy room complete with mutant clothing.....

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

Weirdest misconception? Um, that we can fly.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

When my first ex said he figured it was some kind of ADHD.

When my husband told me he went online and asked his friend about it because he didn't know what it was and he wanted to make sure I wouldn't be chasing him with a knife.

When my aspie mate asked me if I liked the color green and lot of aspies like the color green and it's their favorite

My last ex saying how having a cat is an AS thing and having certain color hair and eye color because of that RDOS test he took that had a bunch of questions about looks.

When mom told me when aspies hurt peoples feelings, they go "too bad" and not care.

That all aspies are like teens and none of them are like a child, my last ex also said this. He also said that when aspies play with toys, it's technical stuff like Legos or Knex or toy cars or blocks. Anything you build with or if it has to do with vehicles.

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

I remember a guy at yahoo answers who think he has AS, he told his symptoms and one of them was "being able to hold pee for hours"

minimeg
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2012, 5:57 pm

When I told my boss I have AS he threw a deck of cards on the ground and told me to count them!

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:01 pm

minimeg wrote:
When I told my boss I have AS he threw a deck of cards on the ground and told me to count them!

LMAO :lol: