Weirdest things you hear about Asperger's?

Page 2 of 5 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,795

22 Feb 2012, 6:01 pm

minimeg wrote:
When I told my boss I have AS he threw a deck of cards on the ground and told me to count them!


LMAO :lol:



The_Final_Boss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 73

22 Feb 2012, 6:23 pm

minimeg wrote:
When I told my boss I have AS he threw a deck of cards on the ground and told me to count them!


Did you instantly say 52?



kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,059
Location: Maine, USA

22 Feb 2012, 6:30 pm

The_Final_Boss wrote:
minimeg wrote:
When I told my boss I have AS he threw a deck of cards on the ground and told me to count them!


Did you instantly say 52?


8O I thought that when I read it! Please tell us!



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,805
Location: USA

22 Feb 2012, 8:13 pm

Doubutsu wrote:
I remember a guy at yahoo answers who think he has AS, he told his symptoms and one of them was "being able to hold pee for hours"


I can do that, finally I have proper confirmation with myself that I have Aspergers.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,166
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

22 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Weirdest misconception? Um, that we can fly.

That's something I wish would be true. :lol:



aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,291
Location: up s**t creek with a fan as a paddle

22 Feb 2012, 8:39 pm

Doubutsu wrote:
I remember a guy at yahoo answers who think he has AS, he told his symptoms and one of them was "being able to hold pee for hours"
the real question is did he obsess over that topic?



astaut
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,777
Location: Southeast US

22 Feb 2012, 8:48 pm

The thing I've heard most from people I interact with is that they associate AS with retardation. I don't know if they necessarily believe everyone with AS is retarded, but they do strongly associate one with the other. I also get asked a lot of questions about sense of humor (as in having no sense of humor) and AS, which is weird because most people think I'm really funny. Friends have asked me several times (different friends) if they have AS when they have an awkward conversation with them. I explain that social difficulties aren't the only part of AS, but people don't seem to be able to grasp this.

On the internet I hear a lot about people with AS being socio/psychopaths or having no feelings. I've never heard anyone in real life make this association.


_________________
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
--Spock


Alohilani
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 81
Location: The northern capital

22 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm

My guess is most people are not aware of the whole spectrum of Asperger's and what defines it. They probably think 'Oh it's autism so they must be like Rain Man'

And then they may see fictional characters on TV with ASD and the way they are portrayed & that makes them think that every Aspie must be like that. I just remembered that there was this character on Glee (the TV Show) that had self-diagnosed Asperger's and she was very annoying and insulting everybody and always added "oh I have Asperger's.. that's why I'm like that"
>.<



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,622
Location: Pacific Northwest

23 Feb 2012, 12:25 am

astaut wrote:
The thing I've heard most from people I interact with is that they associate AS with retardation. I don't know if they necessarily believe everyone with AS is retarded, but they do strongly associate one with the other. I also get asked a lot of questions about sense of humor (as in having no sense of humor) and AS, which is weird because most people think I'm really funny. Friends have asked me several times (different friends) if they have AS when they have an awkward conversation with them. I explain that social difficulties aren't the only part of AS, but people don't seem to be able to grasp this.

On the internet I hear a lot about people with AS being socio/psychopaths or having no feelings. I've never heard anyone in real life make this association.



I have met one person online who thought AS was mental retardation because it was a forum of autism. He thought autism and mental retardation were the same thing.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,247
Location: Stendec

23 Feb 2012, 12:58 am

Weirdest (untrue) things I've heard about AS:

- We're all like "Rainman".

- We all have psychic powers.

- We all torture helpless animals.

- We all wet the bed.

- We all are pyromaniacs.

- We all lack emotions and feelings.

- We're all incredibly intelligent.

- We're all incredibly unintelligent.

- We all play with our own feces.

- We're all psychopaths that haven't murdered anyone ... yet.

- We're all asexual.

- We're all hypersexual.

- We're all homosexual.

- We;re all heterosexual.

- We're all bisexual.

- We're all perverts.

- We all want to change our sex.

- We all like cartoons.

- We've all been sexually molested.

- We're all faking symptoms of AS.

- We're all suicidal.

- We're all homicidal.

- We're all mechanical or technical geniuses.

- We're all artistic geniuses.

- We're all linguistic geniuses.

... et cetera ... ad nauseum ...



icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 660

23 Feb 2012, 1:02 am

Well, here is a list of weird (and often offensive) things that I have heard about AS so far...
1. Aspies tend to be more vulnerable to depression than NTs, so Aspies ought to be aborted. Otherwise, they will grow up and develop depression.
2. Not everybody who has schizophrenia has AS, But everybody who has AS has schizophrenia.
3. Aspies are either geniuses or idiots. Most Aspies are "idiot savants".
4. Aspies greet people by grabbing them, then pinching them violently.
5. Aspies will become NTs as soon as they are "cured" through a combination of various therapies.
6. When NTs converse with Aspies, Aspies either ignore NTs or try to steer the conversation towards their very own pet topic.
7. Aspies can solve any mathematical equation that they come across.
8. Since Aspies have difficulties understanding figurative expressions, they should be exempted from studying Literature.



Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,681

23 Feb 2012, 1:08 am

My favorite one was one I was reading on this site earlier about how all people with Aspergers are reincarnated descendants of ancient extraterrestrials.



Bun
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,356

23 Feb 2012, 6:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
astaut wrote:
The thing I've heard most from people I interact with is that they associate AS with retardation. I don't know if they necessarily believe everyone with AS is retarded, but they do strongly associate one with the other. I also get asked a lot of questions about sense of humor (as in having no sense of humor) and AS, which is weird because most people think I'm really funny. Friends have asked me several times (different friends) if they have AS when they have an awkward conversation with them. I explain that social difficulties aren't the only part of AS, but people don't seem to be able to grasp this.

On the internet I hear a lot about people with AS being socio/psychopaths or having no feelings. I've never heard anyone in real life make this association.



I have met one person online who thought AS was mental retardation because it was a forum of autism. He thought autism and mental retardation were the same thing.

It's weird, but I think that where I am, a lot of diagnosers think the same. It's hard to meet any of the high mental/cognitive functioning low social functioning type of AS here.


_________________
Double X and proud of it / male pronouns : he, him, his


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,570
Location: Maidstone, UK

23 Feb 2012, 7:13 am

I do like going on WP but here is the only place where I have read some ridiculous BS about Aspies:-

...Aspies have every possible physical feature you can imagine, whether it's normal in humans or not, it's still related to one's AS (I have 2 arms, must be related to having AS :roll: )

...an Aspie's depression and social anxiety will go away if they completely isolate themselves from other people and never speak to another human being ever again

...Aspies are every race ever existed on this planet

...AS is a disease


_________________
Female
Aged 29
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder


Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,395
Location: Ohio, USA

23 Feb 2012, 7:43 am

I've had people assume I'm incapable of compassion. Generally they are the kind of people who care more about the appearance of sympathy than actually helping other people, though. I guess that kind of perspective on compassion leads you to define it as "saying the right words" rather than "a desire to make other people's lives better, or at least less annoying," which is how I define it.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com