Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2012, 9:11 pm

Hey guys,

I don't get on here regularly but I found a site by accident the other day, changingminds.org. It's about how to persuade people in business/sales...but it has a great section on what different body languages mean, and a section on speech. I suck at understanding subtle social cues and I've found it really helpful.

Cad

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:06 am

thank you Cad, for that useful info :)

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 9:52 am

Thanks, it has a lot of useful info. Does anyone else know of any other useful sites for learning/understanding body language?

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2012, 12:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
thank you Cad, for that useful info :)

No problem :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:01 am

Now if only I can actually pay attention to these things when interacting with people.....typically listening to what people are saying and responding along with all the other things going on in my mind and the stimming I typically do sometimes without realizing it keeps my brain pretty busy leaving little energy for noticing much body language, attempting to make eye contact, or trying to look like I am making eye contact without actually making eye contact.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:26 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Now if only I can actually pay attention to these things when interacting with people.....typically listening to what people are saying and responding along with all the other things going on in my mind and the stimming I typically do sometimes without realizing it keeps my brain pretty busy leaving little energy for noticing much body language, attempting to make eye contact, or trying to look like I am making eye contact without actually making eye contact.

thats my problem as well. i don't want to become just an encyclopedia of tips from self-help material, unless the aspie mind is that rigid, there's gotta be some way to learn this so that it comes more intuitively, so I'm in the moment & not overthinking every little thing.

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2012, 11:29 am

Direct Link: Changing Minds Body Language

They should use photos.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 11:45 am

Cad wrote:
Hey guys,

I don't get on here regularly but I found a site by accident the other day, changingminds.org. It's about how to persuade people in business/sales...but it has a great section on what different body languages mean, and a section on speech. I suck at understanding subtle social cues and I've found it really helpful.

Cad

I can second this: found this site last year. It is extremely helpful, very detailed. The best part about it is the emphasis on the context of signals and the reminders that "Hey, read these signals in clusters, not one at a time."

Here is another very helpful site: http://westsidetoastmasters.com/resourc ... e/toc.html

Same professional emphasis.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2012, 5:16 pm

Luska - I agree it'd make it more helpful. I do like it when they describe parts in detail on the site though e.g. someone is acting 'dominant' if they have their arms folded and stand with feet apart (which is how I usually stand because I never know what to do with my arms, and my legs are naturally like that...but now I can see that people may think I'm trying to be intimidating...)

Sweetleaf - I just read some of the basics e.g. what people do when they're being aggressive and can apply them because usually if people are talking about boring things (e.g. what happened at work today, what's on TV) I don't pay attention to what they're saying. What happens is I usually just watch how they move (I find hand movements interesting) and listen to what their voice sounds like or think about other things, which isn't because I'm ignorant but I can't help it...I just switch off if I'm not interested. With people I know or like I don't have to think about their body language to understand what they're conveying to me, because if I don't understand them I know them well enough to ask and my friends don't care if I specifically say 'are you angry/sad/happy' (btw 90% of my friends don't know I have AS but most think I'm odd)

The eye contact thing though...I hear you. Usually I just don't make it, simple. A trick I use if I'm outside is to wear sunglasses constantly that way no one knows where I'm looking (also my eyes are very sensitive to light). Otherwise they will notice my eyes darting all over the damn place and then people ask me if I'm nervous.

MarketAndChurch - I found it helped more from the point of view that I know what body language NOT to do so NTs won't think I'm being intimidating or aggressive or nervous (strange because I'm physically not very intimidating at all).

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 1:48 am

Cad wrote:
Luska - I agree it'd make it more helpful. I do like it when they describe parts in detail on the site though e.g. someone is acting 'dominant' if they have their arms folded and stand with feet apart (which is how I usually stand because I never know what to do with my arms, and my legs are naturally like that...but now I can see that people may think I'm trying to be intimidating...)

Sweetleaf - I just read some of the basics e.g. what people do when they're being aggressive and can apply them because usually if people are talking about boring things (e.g. what happened at work today, what's on TV) I don't pay attention to what they're saying. What happens is I usually just watch how they move (I find hand movements interesting) and listen to what their voice sounds like or think about other things, which isn't because I'm ignorant but I can't help it...I just switch off if I'm not interested. With people I know or like I don't have to think about their body language to understand what they're conveying to me, because if I don't understand them I know them well enough to ask and my friends don't care if I specifically say 'are you angry/sad/happy' (btw 90% of my friends don't know I have AS but most think I'm odd)

The eye contact thing though...I hear you. Usually I just don't make it, simple. A trick I use if I'm outside is to wear sunglasses constantly that way no one knows where I'm looking (also my eyes are very sensitive to light). Otherwise they will notice my eyes darting all over the damn place and then people ask me if I'm nervous.

MarketAndChurch - I found it helped more from the point of view that I know what body language NOT to do so NTs won't think I'm being intimidating or aggressive or nervous (strange because I'm physically not very intimidating at all).

no its good stuff to know, every little bit helps/counts and I'd rather know then not. I would love to have someone for a week video me though so I can see myself, the ideal would be a mirror right next to you at all times to catch even the most subtle feedback you may be sending someone. great links though!

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2012, 5:15 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
no its good stuff to know, every little bit helps/counts and I'd rather know then not. I would love to have someone for a week video me though so I can see myself, the ideal would be a mirror right next to you at all times to catch even the most subtle feedback you may be sending someone. great links though!

That'd be useful. I also checked out pat2rome's link, it's pretty good too

skribble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2012, 11:10 pm

Thanks for the link :)

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 12:59 am

Cad wrote:

I feel most comfortable in my sunglasses for the same reason. I can look wherever I like and no one will know (and also reduces light).

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2012, 6:20 am

Once I got a pair f sunnies I couldn't live without them.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

http://www.social-engineer.org/ I use this site for social help. It's tricky to master but turns conversation into a quantifiable science which, if most people on this site are like me, should be incredibly interesting and useful. I'd heavily recommend buying their book too.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2012, 4:44 pm

lilbuddah wrote:
http://www.social-engineer.org/ I use this site for social help. It's tricky to master but turns conversation into a quantifiable science which, if most people on this site are like me, should be incredibly interesting and useful. I'd heavily recommend buying their book too.

Thanks for the link lilbuddah!