Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Do you tell the truth even when it would be better not to?
Poll ended at 25 Feb 2012, 9:22 pm
yes 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
no 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
I catch myself before I say something I shouldn't 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 11

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 9:22 pm

Does anyone else continually or repeatedly make mistakes like this? In hindsight, I know. But when asked questions that I really shoudn't answer I simply state the truth. Today I told someone - a total stranger - the dates that I would be out of town and my place would be empty and unattended. I may as well invited them to rob it. I simply cannot seem to figure out when to make fake small talk; you know, the little lies that normal people make all the time.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 10:05 pm

I wouldn't worry about that. all the companies you use in order to arrange a holiday abroad will almost certainly know your address, including your employer. the risk is everywhere, it's just one of those things. Regarding being honest too often, i can identify with that. it can be annoying

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2012, 5:47 pm

I used to work in a theatre (lights and sound tech), and the most uncomfortable situation I knew was when I had to talk to the performers after a piece that I thought was rubbish. Trying to say something not rude to someone who has just spent two hours on stage in a small intimate black box theatre, often stuff they had written themselves, is really hard. I would squirm and look away and try to think of something, ANYTHING, positive to say about it. After a while I came up with a way of getting half out of it: I would make up (if necessary) some technical mistake on my part and talk about that.

-Hey, what did you think?
-uh... I really screwed up the lights in the third scene, I hope nobody noticed.

Then I some times didn't have to express my opinion.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

^
If I work on it, maybe practice with my kids at home, I could train myself to pause and that'd give me time to think of something to say that doesn't reveal facts I later regret sharing.
bucephalus, yes, I tend to obsess about it and it is just one of those things - I can relax about it when I'm reminded of that. Still, I need to teach myself how not to tell strangers stuff I really shouldn't.