Opinions on The Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints?

Page 7 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2012, 10:02 am

Together with Scientology, it's special among cults and religions in that the making up of it is well documented in fairly modern times.
I understand that it is practical to be a mormon in Salt Lake City. Probably easier to get a good job if you wear the right underwear and have enough wives...

Right now I am astonished at the posthumous baptism of Anne Frank and the Wiesenthals (or anyone else, for that matter). That's the most arrogant, insulting, f****d up s**t.

I'm also very much against the aggressive mission travelling they do.
I was handed a "book of mormon" in my school, in Norway.
Pissed me off very much. I was angry at the Norwegian authorities letting those people in at all, angry with the teacher letting them hand out those books, and after reading it, completely baffled at the transparency of the con.

I have very little respect for the LDS, as you may have guessed by now.
If you grew up a mormon, I don't think you're an idiot, but becoming one as an adult is unforgivable. Not leaving is also questionable, although I understand the issues of being shut out and loss of friends and family and work and social standing and all that.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 12:59 pm

Yeah, it probably is good for business contacts in SLC. Just as one reason Islam spread down the eastern coast of Africa was because it was helpful for doing business with Arab merchants. You'd get favored treatment.

The easiest way to dismiss Joe is the Book of Abraham. Joe Smith claimed to translate it from some Egyptian scrolls before hieroglyphics had been translated by scholars. But some of the papyrus he used were found years later and they, of course, don't say what he claimed they said. They even had a damaged bit where the head of Anubis was missing and Joe Smith, not knowing any better, filled in a human head for the illustration in the Book of Abraham.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:12 pm

It does make one wonder how someone as intelligent and highly successful as Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman can possibly remain Mormon. If Mitt Romney were as steadfast in his religion as he was in his stated political beliefs, then he would be converting from Islam to Buddhism to Zoroastrianism and then back again.

Possibly their days as missionaries, where they are isolated from their families and kept on extremely tight and strict schedules, brainwashes them completely and indelibly for life.

Certainly Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann have remained steadfast in their devotion to Evango-Fascism, but both of them are dumber than Hell, so you would expect them to remain Evango-Fascist.

Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman just strike one as being too intelligent to take a goofy religion like Mormonism as seriously as they do.