Opinions on The Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints?

Page 6 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

What day on the calender is "Ladder Day"?

Is it the same thing "Ascension"?

Lol!

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:00 am

pandabear wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Don't Mormons also have to pay a percentage of their income to their church? Now THAT is even better planning. Whoever invented Mormonism knew how to put a business plan together. Catholics have to put up with a measly collection plate being passed around during mass.

Mormons and many of our Evango-Fascist denominations are quite good at extracting their tithes.

Even so, I think that most Catholics are willing to allow Baptists to remain Baptists, and vice versa. However much they may either pity or despise those who are not members of their own church.

Mormons seem to make their religion much more central to their lives. No other religion puts so much effort into missionary work.

so disgustingly obvious it hurts the brain :?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Last edited by Oodain on 26 Feb 2012, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 5:26 am

the only real objection i have is that they, along with jehovah's witnesses, occasionally present themselves at my front door with a view to talking about god. other than this, they can really do what they like as long as they don't involve me.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 8:42 am

One thing that an ex-Mormon (who converted to Methodism) told me is that, when you are making an honest effort to understand Mormon beliefs, a lot of questions get dismissed with statements like "well, you just don't understand things properly. You had better pray about it, and then you will understand."

Mormons also seem to think that they can derive a spiritual high from reading the odd sentence structure contained in the Book of Mormon.

From a Mormon website:

http://mormon.org/book-of-mormon/

Quote:
God's method is simple: we read the Book of Mormon; we pray and ask Him to tell us that what we've read is true and He answers us through feelings of peace and assurance given by the Holy Ghost. First of all, we have to study the Book of Mormon diligently, applying its principles to our own lives and doing our best to understand the lessons that God wants us to learn. Second, we have to pray “with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ.” We need to hope and believe that God will answer us, and we may have to pray more than once. Last, we need to be willing to accept the answer when it comes, however it may come. Believing that the Book of Mormon really contains the word of God means that we will be willing to live up to the standards of faith and obedience He describes in it. God has promised that He will bless us with much more than it takes to live up to His high standards.

You're not supposed to read the Book of Mormon critically, as people read the Bible. You're just supposed to believe that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God, and get a spiritual buzz from superficially reading it. And, it really is just a pile of nonsense.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 9:32 am

pandabear wrote:
Are Catholics competing against Mormons?

The Mormons send Missionaries door-to-door. The Catholics are much more exclusive these days.

All denominations compete.

And mainline protestantism and Catholicism is barely holding on while Mormonism is growing.
So I would think that they would feel threatened.

Protestant Evangelicalism and Mormonism are definetly going head-to-head.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 10:00 am

I remember meeting with some Mormon missionaries some 30 years ago. They gave me a brochure which stated that the Book of Mormon was referenced in

Ezekiel 37 wrote:
I felt the powerful presence of the Lord, and his spirit took me and set me down in a valley where the ground was covered with bones. He led me all around the valley, and I could see that there were very many bones and that they were very dry. He said to me, "Mortal man, can these bones come back to life?'

I replied, "Sovereign Lord, only you can answer that!"

He said, "Prophesy to the bones. Tell these dry bones to listen to the word of the Lord. Tell them that I, the Sovereign Lord, am saying to them: I am going to put breath into you and bring you back to life. I will give you sinews and muscles, and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you and bring you back to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord."

So I prophesied as I had been told. While I was speaking, I heard a rattling noise, and the bones began to join together. While I watched, the bones were covered with sinews and muscles, and then with skin. But there was no breath in the bodies.

God said to me, "Mortal man, prophesy to the wind. Tell the wind that the Sovereign Lord commands it to come from every direction, to breathe into these dead bodies, and to bring them back to life."

So I prophesied as I had been told. Breath entered the bodies, and they came to life and stood up. There were enough of them to form an army.

God said to me, "Mortal man, the people of Israel are like these bones. They say that they are dried up, without any hope and with no future. So prophesy to my people Israel and tell them that I, the Sovereign Lord, am going to open their graves. I am going to take them out and bring them back to the land of Israel. When I open the graves where my people are buried and bring them out, they will know that I am the Lord. I will put my breath in them, bring them back to life, and let them live in their own land. Then they will know that I am the Lord. I have promised that I would do this—and I will. I, the Lord, have spoken."

The Lord spoke to me again. "Mortal man", he said, "take a wooden stick and write on it the words, 'The kingdom of Judah.' Then take another stick and write on it the words, 'The kingdom of Israel.' Then hold the two sticks end to end in your hand so that they look like one stick. When your people ask you to tell them what this means, tell them that I, the Sovereign Lord, am going to take the stick representing Israel and put it with the one that represents Judah. Out of the two I will make one stick and hold it in my hand. Hold in your hand the two sticks and let the people see them. Then tell them that I, the Sovereign Lord, am going to take all my people out of the nations where they have gone, gather them together, and bring them back to their own land. I will unite them into one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel. They will have one king to rule over them, and they will no longer be divided into two nations or split into two kingdoms. They will not defile themselves with disgusting idols any more or corrupt themselves with sin. I will free them from all the ways in which they sin and betray me. I will purify them; they will be my people, and I will be their God. A king like my servant David will be their king. They will all be united under one ruler and will obey my laws faithfully. They will live on the land I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where their ancestors lived. They will live there forever, and so will their children and all their descendants. A king like my servant David will rule them forever. I will make a covenant with them that guarantees their security forever. I will establish them and increase their population, and will see to it that my Temple stands forever in their land. I will live there with them; I will be their God, and they will be my people. When I place my Temple there to be among them forever, then the nations will know that I, the Lord, have chosen Israel to be my own people."

The section in bold text was the part that was in their brochure, with an explanation that the stick representing Israel referred to the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, and that the stick representing Judah referred to the Book of Mormon. The Mormons were going to hold these two "sticks" together, as their complete set of inspired religious texts.

When I tried to point out that I didn't agree with their conclusions, the missionaries just doubled down and insisted that the stick representing Israel referred to the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, and that the stick representing Judah referred to the Book of Mormon--simply repeating the point in the brochure, over and over. End of discussion.

From what I can tell, Mormons still think that Ezekiel 37 strictly refers to the Book of Mormon. They may have taken it out of their recruitment brochures, to avoid looking too silly all at once--I don't know, I haven't seen any Mormon brochures lately.

Last edited by pandabear on 26 Feb 2012, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2012, 10:02 am

Together with Scientology, it's special among cults and religions in that the making up of it is well documented in fairly modern times.
I understand that it is practical to be a mormon in Salt Lake City. Probably easier to get a good job if you wear the right underwear and have enough wives...

Right now I am astonished at the posthumous baptism of Anne Frank and the Wiesenthals (or anyone else, for that matter). That's the most arrogant, insulting, f****d up s**t.

I'm also very much against the aggressive mission travelling they do.
I was handed a "book of mormon" in my school, in Norway.
Pissed me off very much. I was angry at the Norwegian authorities letting those people in at all, angry with the teacher letting them hand out those books, and after reading it, completely baffled at the transparency of the con.

I have very little respect for the LDS, as you may have guessed by now.
If you grew up a mormon, I don't think you're an idiot, but becoming one as an adult is unforgivable. Not leaving is also questionable, although I understand the issues of being shut out and loss of friends and family and work and social standing and all that.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 12:59 pm

Yeah, it probably is good for business contacts in SLC. Just as one reason Islam spread down the eastern coast of Africa was because it was helpful for doing business with Arab merchants. You'd get favored treatment.

The easiest way to dismiss Joe is the Book of Abraham. Joe Smith claimed to translate it from some Egyptian scrolls before hieroglyphics had been translated by scholars. But some of the papyrus he used were found years later and they, of course, don't say what he claimed they said. They even had a damaged bit where the head of Anubis was missing and Joe Smith, not knowing any better, filled in a human head for the illustration in the Book of Abraham.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:12 pm

It does make one wonder how someone as intelligent and highly successful as Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman can possibly remain Mormon. If Mitt Romney were as steadfast in his religion as he was in his stated political beliefs, then he would be converting from Islam to Buddhism to Zoroastrianism and then back again.

Possibly their days as missionaries, where they are isolated from their families and kept on extremely tight and strict schedules, brainwashes them completely and indelibly for life.

Certainly Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann have remained steadfast in their devotion to Evango-Fascism, but both of them are dumber than Hell, so you would expect them to remain Evango-Fascist.

Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman just strike one as being too intelligent to take a goofy religion like Mormonism as seriously as they do.