Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 7:41 pm

qwan wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I've always found mirrors strange. I live so much in my head that I tend to forget that I have a physical appearance. While I recognise the face in the mirror it isn't me; just a shell I live inside of. Don't know if this is autism related or some sort of disassociation or what. Been like that all my life.

I forget I have an appearance, there isn't one for me etched in my mind, so every time I look in the mirror it's novel.

Interesting. I used to do that. I'd forget 'what I look like,' and hence looked to remember. It could be related to living on Ivory Tower Lane,i.e. in one's head ( Tally's disac.). In my experience, the greater amount of time spent doing things with others' or 'being social' imprints them onto you. A sort of reality check via objective experiences.

Isolation is bad. Introverts need some socializing, but I believe that balance line can get crossed via other conditions.....

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:29 pm

I'm mildly phobic of mirrors. I had my husband remove the mirrors from the sliding doors on my wardrobe, as I don't like seeing something moving in the near dark, even if it is my reflection. If I'm alone and it's late, I tend to avoid looking in mirrors, just in case the image is not what it should be. This sounds a bit crazy and I've never seen something that shouldn't be there, but I won't take the chance, when I'm alone.

And I don't find mirrors useful in the way others do. If I'm trying to put a clasp or comb in my hair, I have to look away from a mirror and use my sense of touch instead. Otherwise, I just move my hands in the opposite direction from how they should be going in and can end up almost tied in knots. It's one of the reasons I don't drive.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

Venerab1e1 wrote:
Jtuk wrote:
Mithos wrote:
I stare into mirrors to the point where I see features that aren't there. It's super hard to explain.

I sometimes stare at my eyes / face in the mirror, if I do this for a long time without blinking then eventually I start hallucinating.. This is very similar to what you are describing.

Jason

I do this too

It's normally zombie or werewolf depending where I am on my shaving cycle (I only shave 1-2 times a month)

Jason

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 2:49 am

I used to have kind of a hypnotic obsession with them when I was a kid.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 6:53 am

I don't have any problem with mirrors. I like looking at myself. It's kinda weird, on one hand I know I'm ordinary looking, on the other hand I feel I look awesome. I've got huge mirrors to check myself 360 degrees before I go out everyday. It's important to me that I look clean and decent, not necessarily stylish, but appear pleasant (and comfortable) to my own eyes.

mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2012, 7:30 am

Venerab1e1 wrote:
Jtuk wrote:
Mithos wrote:
I stare into mirrors to the point where I see features that aren't there. It's super hard to explain.

I sometimes stare at my eyes / face in the mirror, if I do this for a long time without blinking then eventually I start hallucinating.. This is very similar to what you are describing.

Jason

I do this too

And this is the reason for my lengthy morning routine. I end up staring in the mirror a lot and lose track of time. Most of the time I don't even consciously do it.