Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2012, 8:01 pm

I'm new to this kind of thing, so take it easy on me if I mess up.

My name is Tim. I am 19 years old, attending the local community college, where classes that everybody has to take are much cheaper. Eventually, I plan on transferring to Purdue University to major in Chemical Engineering.

I was first diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was in the sixth grade, at which point I neither cared nor knew what it meant. As with all people with this psychological condition, I was (and still am, for that matter) introverted and was slow to come out of my "hole". Because of that, I was bullied beyond belief, and had almost no friends, though there were a couple. My middle school years were the hardest for me. Upon entering high school, I was immediately popular, solely for being "that weird kid". Though I had some idea of what Asperger's Syndrome was, I was still not sure about the specifics. I knew why people looked at me funny, why they thought it might be fun to poke fun at me, and why nobody talked to me, but I didn't know what I could do to help the matter, so to speak. While filling out my schedule for my next year in high school, I became aware of a class with the following name: PLTW: IED. I had at last found my escape. This class turned out to me perfect for me. It consisted of AutoCAD software, critical thinking, and engineering concepts in general. Through this class, I was able to pour my pent-up energy into the design software and the corresponding curriculum, becoming less of a dorky kid with glasses, and more of a computer geek, which I was okay with.

I express myself through music. I usually have my Pandora set to The Beatles, however, if I am feeling especially chipper, I will change it to something more recent, like Relient K. On the other hand, if I am depressed more than usual, I will set it to something loud and somewhat profane, like Eminem. I also express myself through my martial arts, specifically, To Shin Do. My Sensei has experience with psychological disorders, as well as being somewhat of a father figure for me, being that mine passed away when I was four years old.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 8:13 pm

ToShinTim wrote:
I'm new to this kind of thing, so take it easy on me if I mess up.

My name is Tim. I am 19 years old, attending the local community college, where classes that everybody has to take are much cheaper. Eventually, I plan on transferring to Purdue University to major in Chemical Engineering.

Make sure that most of your classes will transfer. I've heard of some people having to retake classes at Purdue when they already took them at a Purdue satellite campus (ie, Indiana University Purdue University some city).

I never transfered to West Layfayette. I didn't see the need as the degree was offered at the branch campus. However, my diploma still says Purdue and no one ever asked which campus.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 9:10 pm

Hello. :) I like both The Beatles and Relient K.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 9:11 pm

Hello and welcome, my boy!

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm