Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 9:12 pm

I'm not officially diagnosed as having AS as of yet, though I have been diagnosed with a central auditory processing disorder, as far as my hearing goes. Anyway, I was wondering, is it normal for aspies to have ringing in the ears? Sometimes it goes from high pitched to almost a wave-like, pulsating sound, ranging from fairly loud to dull. Some days it's barely noticeable, if at all, but other days, especially lately, it's almost unbearable. So, is this related to AS? Is there anything I can do?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 9:16 pm

It's normal for people who have hypersensitive hearing to have tinnitus. Hypersensitive hearing is rather common in autism.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 9:19 pm

I've had Tinnitus for about 6 years now, I LOVE blasting my music.

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 9:20 pm

Yeah, I guess I've just never really thought about myself as having hypersensitive hearing before, but I guess I may. Thanks :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Feb 2012, 9:22 pm

I have tinnitus but I think it's caused by listening to music too loud with headphones - for years and years. I don't know if it could be caused by, or be a part of, Asperger's. I've heard that certain medications can cause tinnitus but the only way to find out would be to stop taking them, which isn't very practical.

My tinnitus is just one note, sometimes screaming, sometimes less so. It seems linked to any kind of body or nervous stress.

As for a cure, I don't think there is one yet. I found a place that thinks they can fix it - they're government funded and legitimate, but they want $300 just to test me and tell me whether they can help. If they think they can help, they'll want more money. So that one's on hold now. First I have to fix my teeth.

I find that white noise helps, especially if it's the sound of surf. I sleep to the sound of BBC International, with their beautiful voices.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 9:26 pm

I'm not officially diagnosed with AS, but I have tinnitus - a constant high pitched ring.

Mine might be from ear infections as a child or depression/stress, or a combination, or something else - I don't know. I was on Antibiotics as a child because of my ear infections too.

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

Last edited by goodwitchy on 25 Feb 2012, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 9:32 pm

Mithos wrote:
I've had Tinnitus for about 6 years now, I LOVE blasting my music.

Interesting...I've had it for about 5 or so, though it seems to be worse lately for some reason. I love blasting my music as well. When music plays softly, it makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 9:36 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I have tinnitus but I think it's caused by listening to music too loud with headphones - for years and years. I don't know if it could be caused by, or be a part of, Asperger's. I've heard that certain medications can cause tinnitus but the only way to find out would be to stop taking them, which isn't very practical.

My tinnitus is just one note, sometimes screaming, sometimes less so. It seems linked to any kind of body or nervous stress.

As for a cure, I don't think there is one yet. I found a place that thinks they can fix it - they're government funded and legitimate, but they want $300 just to test me and tell me whether they can help. If they think they can help, they'll want more money. So that one's on hold now. First I have to fix my teeth.

I find that white noise helps, especially if it's the sound of surf. I sleep to the sound of BBC International, with their beautiful voices.

Well, I'm not really taking any medications, so that can't be it in my case. Mine's definitely not one pitch, and now that you mention white noise, the wave-like noise I mentioned is almost like the white noise of a television mixed with a higher pitched noise.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 9:37 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
I'm not officially diagnosed with AS, but I have tinnitus - a constant high pitched ring.

Mine might be from ear infections as a child or depression/stress, or a combination, or something else - I don't know. I was on Antibiotics as a child because of my ear infections too.

It can be caused by depression?

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

dobrolvr wrote:
goodwitchy wrote:

I just searched online, and according to the Mayo clinic, yes.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinnit ... ION=causes

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 9:48 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
dobrolvr wrote:
goodwitchy wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know it had so many causes

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2012, 10:06 pm

I have recently had a resurgence in this symptom. probably the last couple weeks at most. I had practically constant tinnitus as a child, it seemed to be less and less present as a grey older, to the point that i rarely noticed it, until as i said these last couple weeks it has suddenly become prevalent again. I'm worried it means something . . . i dont know what, but it is just very weird that it has come back with such force. It could possibly do with a lot of stress im having right now with my employment situation. earlier this week i got the news that i'm basically booted from the corporate office i've been working at the last 5 months, going back to a store as a clerk to start. a pretty significant financial setback, but that aspect has so far for me been a side note to the insurmountable feeling of rejection and inadequacy. It has brought so much insecurity to the surface i had no idea i still had in me. Maybe i'll talk more on this situation later. Anyway i hope this stress could be the cause of my tinnitus, i worry it could signify something about some aspect of my health. not that tinnitus is an issue in itself but like I said it had faded to such a minor presence for many years it seems something must have caused it to return so powerfully for me.

wokndead
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm

I've had it for as long as I can remember. It's not bad unless it's too quiet in the room. White noise does help, and I listen to music all the time. But those rare moments when I'm in complete silence, it's as if the "silence" gets so loud that I actually feel pressure in my head from it.

"Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2012, 2:08 am

I've had painful, loud, constant tinnitus my whole life, but was only officially diagnosed with it in 2009 because they thought I might have meniere's. It can be caused by so many things- Health issues, iodine deficiency, hearing loss, etc. and it's really best if you can get it checked out. Sometimes they can help relieve it if it's painful.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Feb 2012, 2:59 am

goodwitchy wrote:
dobrolvr wrote:
goodwitchy wrote:

At the end of that Mayo Clinic site, they list PTSD as a cause of tinnitus. so_subtly_strange - you mention the change in jobs - you must have had a terrible shock. You mention worry about your physical health. It might be caused by the job problem.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:25 am

i read a while back, that there are multiple locii of tinnitus, anywhere from the middle ear to the frontal lobes. there have been reports of people who had strokes and then noticed that the tinnitus they suffered from disappeared. my late father's ear doc said, that in many cases, it is indicative of damaged hair cells in the cochlea, equivalent to a bunch of horns being stuck in the "on" position. the ringing is a condition of noise which equals corrupted signal, and people with severe hearing loss also suffer from correspondingly more severe tinnitus. my father [who was hard of hearing due to intense army noise in addition to diabetes-related middle/inner ear damage] described his tinnitus as a rushing roar that he needed hearing aids in order to hear anything above it.