Connection between Lucid Dreaming and Aspergers?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How often have you had lucid dreams?
Frequently 29%  29%  [ 45 ]
Occasionally 41%  41%  [ 65 ]
Only once or twice in my life 20%  20%  [ 31 ]
Never 10%  10%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 157

eightieschild
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2012, 2:01 pm

I am a self diagnosed Aspie who usually has several lucid dreams during a week . For those of who dont know what Lucid dreaming is it is where you know you are dreaming and often can control what happens in your dreams.

I am wondering if their might be a possible connection between Lucid dreaming and Aspergers. If you would take a minute to answer the poll.

Thanks!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:04 pm

I have those dreams occasionally.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

It used to be 'frequently', but now I'd say 'occasionally'.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:16 pm

Maybe about a third of my dreams are like that. Seems very strange to me when it happens. I supposedly don't technically have Asperger's, but something similar to it.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2012, 2:24 pm

Funny, I was just about to make a post to see if there are any connections with aspergers and vivid/lucid dreams. For as far as I can remember, I have had either extremely vivid movie quality dreams, or the occasional once a month or more lucid dream. Wonder if heightened sensitivity has anything to do with it.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:33 pm

If I remember my dream at all once I wake up, then it probably was lucid dreaming, but I rarely remember any dreams.

Most dreams I remember either were lucid dreams. I just only remember one or two dreams a month.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:36 pm

I have not had a lucid dream before, but when I was 6 I had a dream while i was awake.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm

Only once or twice here.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm

Never. I have had dreams where I realized I was dreaming, but couldn't control it. This is really interesting because I used to think it was impossible for me to have a lucid dream because I am an aspie. My dreams are always vivid though. Just not lucid.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

Just because you might be an Aspie, doesn't mean everything that happens is due to your AS. Have you asked any NTs if they have lucid dreams? I bet they do occasionally.

I might of had one or two before in my life, but not anything to speak of. When I'm dreaming, I think they're real at the time, then I wake up all confused, or relieved if it was a bad dream and disappointed if it was a good dream.

eightieschild
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Just because you might be an Aspie, doesn't mean everything that happens is due to your AS. Have you asked any NTs if they have lucid dreams? I bet they do occasionally.

Actually I have and I don't think any of the NT people I know have ever had one. Im not saying every Aspie has lucid dreams and I'm sure there are some NT's that have them as well. I'm just thinking that it MIGHT be more likely for an Aspie to have one than an NT because of how our brains are wired.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:47 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I might of had one or two before in my life, but not anything to speak of. When I'm dreaming, I think they're real at the time, then I wake up all confused, or relieved if it was a bad dream and disappointed if it was a good dream.

Unlike things like how big your big toe is this might actually be related as it relates to the mind.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:01 pm

Quite a few where I knew I was dreaming in the past. I only started having any control after reading an autobiography of Richard Feynman's.

I have less these days, sleep deprivation has not been helping. I am working on that though.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

Joe90 wrote:
When I'm dreaming, I think they're real at the time, then I wake up all confused, or relieved if it was a bad dream and disappointed if it was a good dream.

That's what happens to me. Those are vivid dreams. After you wake up it takes some time until you understand that it was a dream.
I, unfortunately, have more nightmares of this sorts and it's horrible to wake up in the dark and be paranoid about your environment, realising and reassuring yourself that it was just a dream.
In lucid dreaming on the other hand, you distinguish reality and dream clearly and at every moment. I don't think, I've ever had this...maybe once. I'm not sure.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

Most nights. But since it takes effort to stay lucid and I don't usually care enough, most of the time I just let things go. If I care enough, I'll go flying, or start throwing random fireballs, or teleport myself somewhere interesting. Some time ago I used to decide what I wanted to do before I went to sleep, and have multiple lucid dreams in a single night--my record is five. I can always tell I'm dreaming because of the quality of my surroundings (the way things only exist if I pay attention to them), and because I can easily move things by thinking about it. Telekinesis is my reality test. :P

I suspect, though, that sleep is not as restful when you deliberately provoke and extend lucid dreams. I think you're forcing your frontal lobe into action, and it's usually kind of zoned out during REM. Anyway, I tend to sleep a little longer when I've gone lucid frequently.

I have a tendency to always want to be hyper-aware. I stayed half-conscious when I was supposed to be anesthetized for having my wisdom teeth out, and have memories from the time when I was under (thankfully the painkillers worked so there wasn't actually any pain; but it does feel quite weird when they're messing with your jawbone). You're not supposed to have memories from that, apparently. But that's pretty light anesthesia... I guess if I were given general anesthesia I'd be out properly.

Hmm. Oh, yeah, and I can also take control of nightmares and wake myself up from them if I want to. Sometimes I do, sometimes I just fight back, or ignore whatever's happening and go off and do my own thing.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 6:29 pm

Mayel wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
When I'm dreaming, I think they're real at the time, then I wake up all confused, or relieved if it was a bad dream and disappointed if it was a good dream.

That's what happens to me. Those are vivid dreams. After you wake up it takes some time until you understand that it was a dream.
I, unfortunately, have more nightmares of this sorts and it's horrible to wake up in the dark and be paranoid about your environment, realising and reassuring yourself that it was just a dream.
In lucid dreaming on the other hand, you distinguish reality and dream clearly and at every moment. I don't think, I've ever had this...maybe once. I'm not sure.

Same with me.

I have had actually had things happen to to me in real life that were so bad that I thought they might be a dream.