26 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

Link to the Source

Seriously Nintendo?

Thoughts?

dude30146
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2012, 3:17 pm

Hopefully could be interesting, middle games such as Crystal, Emerald and Platinum have always added newer elements to the story plus allowing to capture both title legendaries

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:17 pm

dude30146 wrote:
Hopefully could be interesting, middle games such as Crystal, Emerald and Platinum have always added newer elements to the story plus allowing to capture both title legendaries
THIS.

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 5:57 pm

I don't know... it's not going to be on the 3DS which in itself is quite a let down on the franchise. Considering all the new depth of the 3D looking that some areas look from B&W.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2012, 6:11 pm

I just wonder what the plot is... and what will they do for new pokemon, how can they justify adding new pokemon that weren't in the orriginal, and why does your character lose all their old pokemon... Or do you keep them from your old game?

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

Rax wrote:
I just wonder what the plot is... and what will they do for new pokemon, how can they justify adding new pokemon that weren't in the orriginal, and why does your character lose all their old pokemon... Or do you keep them from your old game?

I doubt you will get to import your old pokemon as the DS could import GBA pokemon... so you are not able to swap without having another DS or 3DS and trading data or pokemon somehow.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

ambroseboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

It's a new and creative idea. Looking forward to it

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 7:50 pm

It is a complete tragedy that Nintendo doesn't care about online multiplayer. Pokemon is screaming to be an MMORPG. There isn't a single franchise in the history of the world that is more suited to being an MMORPG than Pokemon.

Think about it: even while you're playing the games, the games are pretending to be MMORPGs! Your main opponents are other trainers like yourself, and you battle them for money and experience. Those trainers should be other players wandering the world. The world is huge and already-defined, we already know which Pokemon live in which areas, and we already have lots of cities to act as social and financial hubs. It is a perfect MMORPG world shoved awkwardly into single-player games.

Every time I think that Pokemon might never become an MMORPG, I want to punch something.

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

It's good that they show they still care about the DS, but I'm just going to wait and see since third entries in the franchise typically don't have two games. I don't play the games at all really now because I personally got tired of them, but I'm looking forward to seeing what reception it will get.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 8:35 pm

Declension wrote:
It is a complete tragedy that Nintendo doesn't care about online multiplayer. Pokemon is screaming to be an MMORPG. There isn't a single franchise in the history of the world that is more suited to being an MMORPG than Pokemon.

Think about it: even while you're playing the games, the games are pretending to be MMORPGs! Your main opponents are other trainers like yourself, and you battle them for money and experience. Those trainers should be other players wandering the world. The world is huge and already-defined, we already know which Pokemon live in which areas, and we already have lots of cities to act as social and financial hubs. It is a perfect MMORPG world shoved awkwardly into single-player games.

Every time I think that Pokemon might never become an MMORPG, I want to punch something.

Personnaly I don't want Pokémon to jump in the MMORPGs bandwagon. I'm not interested in MMORPGs, and I want to still be able to play single player games.

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2012, 11:29 pm

I have never thought of it being a mmorpg... But I'm intrigued now.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 11:51 pm

Rax wrote:
I have never thought of it being a mmorpg... But I'm intrigued now.

I am going to use this as an excuse to go on a rant. This issue has been bothering me ever since it occurred to me.

I want to explain just why Pokemon is the perfect MMO franchise, far more suitable than something like Warcraft.

The reason is that, in most RPG settings, you play as a band of unlikely heroes with special powers whose goal is to save the world. This type of RPG is difficult to turn into an MMO, because not everyone can be a renowned hero! World of Warcraft suffers from this problem, and ends up seeming very improbable.

In Pokemon, you are just some guy, and your goals are the same goals that thousands of other people in the world have! Even better, more than one person can achieve these goals! The goals are things like:
- beat all the gym leaders.
- become a renowned battler.
- become a renowned breeder.
- record all Pokemon into your Pokedex.
- catch all of the Pokemon.
- help to battle the evil forces.
- become rich.

What if the Elite 4 and the gym leaders actually were veteran players who had earned this honour, and who had to obey certain rules in order to allow a semi-competent trainer to earn badges and rewards from them? What if there was that one guy who is the guy who caught Articuno? He could sell Articuno for a lot of money, or maybe the legendaries would escape from their owners every now and then. Or maybe you can't catch the legendaries at all, but you can "encounter" them for Pokedex entries, and you earn achievements by defeating them.

The world is already a perfect MMO world. It's huge, it's split up into different "regions", and there are reasons that you would want to visit each region. (To catch the Pokemon that live there!) There are even totally natural "limits" that allow you to explore more and more of the world as you become more powerful. (Flying on a flying Pokemon! Swimming on a water Pokemon! Using Pokemon to cut down trees that regrow so that other players can't get through!)

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:38 am

Declension wrote:

That could be a serious cash-cow for Nintendo if they went that route.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm

i stopped caring about the pokemon games after silver.

you can only milk the same repetitive engine so much until it gets stale.

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2012, 5:52 pm

Although the idea does interest me, it would be boring as heck after awhile to be one of the elite four. Plus, pokemon is far, far to easy to cheat/trick or hack. Thats the largest problem in my opinion

Destiny_Dreams
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

Rax wrote:

What I would like to see(Although this will never happen) is for Game Freak to add 50 new pokemon to the Unovadex that weren't there before so that the Gym Leaders can use more pokemon, and their teams won't cap out at 3 pokemon per gym leader. It would be nice to have harder, more meaningful gym battles in Unova.

Other than that, I hope they expand the battle subway to be more like the battle frontier in Emerald, preferably with triple battles as a possible format while also being a bigger part of the game, more post game features, and I just hope they do as outstanding of a job with it as they did with Black and White. It would be nice to see them outdo themselves again...