Aspie as a high school science teacher?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 1:22 am

I am wondering about the experiences of any other aspies who have been teachers.

I was in medical school (yes, to be a doctor) until I was overwhelmed by the social drama that was taking place and the fast paced verbal information. After that I considered my masters in public health. I may return to my masters later, but I was having trouble with the paper writing requirements. I was only diagnosed after I left the master's program, so I did not know (and undiagnosed was unable to at the time) to ask for accommodations in due dates for homework assignments.

Currently I am working on finishing my teaching certificate in Texas for Life Science and Chemistry for grades 8-12, but I am wondering if I will be able to cope (but that could be the depression talking - the reason I was diagnosed in the first place). I have been a personal tutor though high school and college (8 years of experience) and I enjoyed the work, and I received excellent feedback. All of the students I tutored were in high school or junior high, but that was either one on one, or in small groups. I have worked with larger groups of elementary school children at church, but not older kids.

So if you are or were a teacher, and you are an aspie, and you have some advice, please help.

tsukaima
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Feb 2012, 1:08 am

I went to college to be a teacher. I have a B.A. with a dual major in English Linguistics and History. I was in the process of certifying, but the only job I could land was in an inner city school. I have to say from experience, if you have any social issues, then the kids will eat you alive. You have to be able to figure out what they're trying to get away with and preempt it. At the same time, you have to make them respect you. If you are at all slow in your social responses, they will seize on that and tear you up.

Imagine, basically, that you're a comedian and every audience is composed of 20% hecklers. Can you fend off the hecklers? I had kids ask all sorts of questions such as "So, are you a virgin?" No matter what the truth is and no matter what you say, the delay in trying to figure out the right way to respond will give them the answer that they want and it goes downhill from there.

It wouldn't be so bad if the administrations didn't basically let kids get away with whatever they want, but it they do. Administrations these days REFUSE to deal with problem kids in a classroom, so you as the teacher have to.

In the end, I loved teaching, and I had some students who thought I was a great teacher. But I didn't have the ability to read the social patterns of the classroom and it was a terrible experience.

Now I have a college degree that's pretty much worthless since nobody hires people with my degree outside of teaching.

Now, I could be wrong..... but that's just my experience.