What are your natural remedies for beauty?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 2:02 am

I found that actually worked for me. I may not be pretty but it did help my skin clear up and actually feel softer and more comfortable. I live in Missouri where it's very dry and sunny in the summertimes.

Note: I'm not doctor or expert, I'm just telling what worked for me. My granny had a recipe similar to this who ironically grew up around the Great Depression. These were just food items which I always thought were silly or outrageous but slowly I've begun to find some truth or results for myself. Like her, I'm very sensitive to makeup and beauty products especially with alcohol and preservatives. I always thought her skin looked extraordinarily great esp for 72! She was always pretty to me.

OK a recent treatment that took some time apart from eating and drinking healthfully is this, making a cocktail of skin toner: 1/4 of Apple Cider Vinegar and 3/4 Green Tea. If you have very sensitive skin like mine, put more water or green tea than Apple Cider Vinegar. You can add other items such as olive oil (which is expensive for me). Green tea helps keep moisture in and is an antioxidant which helps with damages caused by the sun. If you have oily skin, keep the olive oil from a drop to a tea spoon to a minimal. It may depend on the season and weather. I have to go consistantly every evening. I can't just decide 3 nights in row that miracles or great changes will appear. I use to do that but I make it as much as a habit as brushing my teeth and taking a shower. See what happens. Just cook the CAFFINATED green tea in a cup like you would if you were to drink it. Mix it in with a little bit of Apple Cider Vinegar. Again I stress this, very little Apple Cider vinegar unless you are not as sensitive or have oily skin.

Anyway I have more but I think maybe you can google this. I think though that this would help for those of us sensitive to products we buy which in my opinion is a waste of money.

Ok would anyone else like to share their natural cheap beauty products?

MEN: YOU TOO CAN JOIN!

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 2:08 am

I put green tea bags under my eyes for a half an hour, after they've steeped.

I use pure coconut milk, and leave it in my hair overnight one night every week. It adds strength, shine, health, and volume. It also evens out the frizzies a bit.

I use tea tree oil to clean up my zits, and heal rashes.

Witch hazel as a toner, ground oatmeal for a scrub, once a month substitute shampoo with baking soda to get rid of accumulated greasies, baby powder as a facial shine control, petroleum jelly to keep my lips and feet from drying out, I drink about 7 cups of tea a day lately.

Most of my beauty methods are from things that are laying around the house.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 4:12 am

This was a life saver during high school and college.

Acne Mask

2 eggs whites
juice of 1 lemon

Whisk together until frothy. Clean face, and then apply acne mask. Leave it on to dry for 15-20 mins, it will feel very tight. Wash off after it's dried and had the 20 mins. Use for 3 consecutive days for best results.

The mixture will last 3 days in the fridge.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

I saw this one on tv and do it once in a while.

Instead of buying expensive pore cleaning strips for your nose just rub elmers glue on it and let it dry and peel it off.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 12:38 pm

Quote:
What are your natural remedies for beauty?

<joke removed as not particularily funny and don't mean to offend - Lene>

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2012, 8:27 pm

I use jojoba oil for my skin and hair and it works wonders.
I put it on the ends of my hair every night before I go to sleep. It makes my hair shiny and it helps prevent split ends.
Sometimes I even put it on my scalp and it washes out completely when I shampoo.
I highly recommend jojoba oil as a makeup remover.
Jojoba oil is so much better than Shu Uemura cleansing oil (which is utterly overpriced)
Japanese tsubaki (camellia) oil is also very good for your hair.
Tea Tree shampoo is so good (Jason brand is the best in my opinion)
Witch hazel toner works wonders for my oily skin but I'm not a fan of the smell.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 12:07 am

heatherbk wrote:
I use jojoba oil for my skin and hair and it works wonders.
I put it on the ends of my hair every night before I go to sleep. It makes my hair shiny and it helps prevent split ends.
Sometimes I even put it on my scalp and it washes out completely when I shampoo.
I highly recommend jojoba oil as a makeup remover.
Jojoba oil is so much better than Shu Uemura cleansing oil (which is utterly overpriced)
Japanese tsubaki (camellia) oil is also very good for your hair.
Tea Tree shampoo is so good (Jason brand is the best in my opinion)
Witch hazel toner works wonders for my oily skin but I'm not a fan of the smell.

I've heard a lot of good benefits of Jojoba oil including the skin. I've never used it myself but I may try it.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2012, 8:23 pm

Yeah give it a try
I wasnt too turned on about using jojoba oil on my oily skin at first but it's a staple in my skincare regimen now.

Ellendra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2012, 9:28 pm

I mix 1 part castor oil with 3 parts olive or grapeseed oil. Rub it into the skin, wait a few minutes, then wash with hot water, but no soap. This is the only skin treatment I've found to actually make a difference in my acne, especially the blackheads. (I've had severe acne since I was 12. I'm 31 now.)

If you decide to try this, be aware that it removes blackheads so well that for the first few days your skin may start pumping out oil double-time, because pores are suddenly working that had been clogged for so long. After about 3 days your skin will adapt.

Gita
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2012, 5:45 pm

I do not feel I am beautiful, but my advice is to drink a lot of water. Also get plenty of sleep. These are more than skin deep beauty secrets. They are also good mind and attitude health helpers.

(Castor oil is very good for your skin as Ellendra says).

Katy

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2012, 4:05 am

I steam my pores to clear them out and make my skin less oily. (If you have dry skin you might not want to do this very often.)

1Bring a pot of water to a boil
2Remove it from heat
3Place on heat-resistant surface
4Drape a towel over your head and hold your face over the steam.
5Be careful not to burn yourself (If it's too hot at first, pull away from the heat until it's more comfortable)

I usually do this for about 10 minutes or until there doesn't seem to be much steam coming off the water. You can also add things like rose petals to the water to give it nice smell.

When I was a teen I used to make oatmeal masks to reduce my skin's oiliness

1Blend dry rolled oats (in a blender, coffee grinder etc) until a powder is formed
2Combine with enough water to form a paste and apply to face

For treating acne I would also dissolve epsom salts in a bit of water and apply it to my face.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2012, 7:08 am

Rosehip oil is the best moisturiser - and environmentally friendly
I also add about half a tablespoon of gelatine (good old fashioned cooking gelatine) to my shampoo just before putting it into my hair - it's better than any treatment I have tried for my coloured and straightened hair

Stargazer2893
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2012, 11:13 pm

Sunflower oil is my holy grail product. I use it on my face, body and hair. Regular table sugar + sunflower oil is the best face scrub ever!

AQ test: 36
EQ: 17 SQ: 67 Extreme Systemizer
151/200 AS
64/200 NT

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 8:12 am

Ellendra wrote:
I mix 1 part castor oil with 3 parts olive or grapeseed oil. Rub it into the skin, wait a few minutes, then wash with hot water, but no soap. This is the only skin treatment I've found to actually make a difference in my acne, especially the blackheads. (I've had severe acne since I was 12. I'm 31 now.)

If you decide to try this, be aware that it removes blackheads so well that for the first few days your skin may start pumping out oil double-time, because pores are suddenly working that had been clogged for so long. After about 3 days your skin will adapt.

I'm really eager to try this but I couldn't find castor oil in the chemist today. Apparently you can mix it up with one more or even two more types of oils (I've heard people mixing one part castor, one part jojoba and two parts sunflower seed oil, grapeseed oil, rice bran oil or extra virgin olive oil. I might use grapeseed oil). They also say you're supposed to steam your face prior to washing it off, and that's it best to do it with a CLEAN facecloth (as in a freshly laundered one). I think I've realised that my scummy microfibre facecloth that stays in the shower for weeks on end might be part of my problems :P

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 8:45 am

Try to stay out of the sun.
Keep your fingers and hands away your face.
Exercise, eat nutritous food. Drink filtered or bottled water.
Plenty of rest.
Be happy or create something to be happy about.

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2012, 9:46 am

I don't use anything ever. I'm just as happy doing that :) Less complicated it is.