Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

I had one of the 8 sided ones which I figured out very quickly (before Christmas breakfast) despite being told it was supposed to be harder. They are slightly less bulky than the cube and don't have the same noise and jarriness that annoyed me with the cube. I don't think I solved the cube more than half a dozen times... and never really had a plan on how to do it. I suppose I could write a solution for the 8-sided one if I put my mind to it.
The thing that got me about most(99+%) of the myriad of people i'd see fiddlng with the cube was that they seemed to be trying to solve it randomly. Like they expected they were suddenly going to accidentally put all the bits in the right place :roll:

The_Final_Boss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Mar 2012, 9:50 am

Rubick's Cubes have always been a struggle for me, so I never even attempt to try them anymore :P

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

Rubick's cube. Ugh. I could never for the life of me solve that stupid thing. It was so annoying! :x

circular
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2012, 2:12 pm

I don't think it was very easy to solve it. I was too lazy to find by myself how to do it, so I read on the Internet, and found a method. With it I could solve it in one minute (60 seconds). But now I've forgotten some formulas, so using logic only, I can still solve it but it takes a little more time.

Quote:
I bought one of the stupid things back in the eighties, when they first came out. Refused to look at any cheats, methods or instructions. I handed it to someone else to screw up so I wouldn't have a clue what was done to it. It took me a little over two days, no sleep, but I solved the stupid thing. Something happened after hours on end of messing with it. It was like suddenly something just "clicked" and I SAW how it worked. Four or five turns later and done.

I tried that way, but it did not work. I could do two layers only.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 2:32 pm

Nope, I have never been able to solve a rubik's cube. I've sat and tried before, and got nowhere fast. In fact, I've never been able to do anything like that - my mind just goes completely blank with that sort of thing.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 3:02 pm

I did eventually solve mine, though not through any real ability. I was randomly twisting the sides for days on end then I got to a point where I could see how to complete in a few more moves. Luck took me most of the way.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 3:54 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
Interesting, not so much that you solved it without help, but the way you saw it, the way you say it just clicked

As for myself, I did solve it but it took many many hours, and I had to take a very analytical approach. I started writing patterns down, breaking it apart analytically.

I have a question.... are you able to explain to people your process or is it just something that you "see?"

As I say, it took many hours. It was a long time ago, but I think it was just over two days. I can't remember if I napped for a bit now and then. This was back when I was really INTO puzzles of all sorts. Most popular puzzles I could solve in a matter of a few to several minutes. Rubick's Cube pissed me off because I couldn't. I became obsessed with it instantly, and could NOT put it down until I solved it (I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't ~ I might still be in a padded room today because of it if I hadn't solved it).

No, there was no method, other than the fact that I quickly understood how changing the relative positions of the corner and side cubes change the relative positions of others. There was no "Turn side one a quarter turn, then side two a half turn," or anything like that. I just kept playing with it, watching how certain moves affected the positions of multiple cubes at once. It really was as if at some point, something just "clicked," I literally "saw" the solution, turned it a few times, and bam, it was done. The next day, I looked up one of the "methods," and never did it the same way I did it the first time again. Didn't need to. I just wanted to know if I could. I did, and that was enough for me.

To tell you the truth, it took me completely by surprise. I didn't think I was ever going to solve it on my own.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 4:00 pm

nemorosa wrote:
I did eventually solve mine, though not through any real ability. I was randomly twisting the sides for days on end then I got to a point where I could see how to complete in a few more moves. Luck took me most of the way.

That's "kind of" what I did, but I would twist four or five times different sides, remember what I had done, then put it back. Each time just trying to observe what each series of steps did, or undid, as they were performed.

Now that I think of it, I supposed you could call that a method, but it was a method to learn to understand how it worked as opposed to a step by step solution.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 7:24 pm

I had one once that actually came with pictured solutions....and even then, I couldn't solve that thing for anything in the world. Just tried one of those online flash-based cubes and still couldn't solve the thing. It could be my dyscalculia's fault since I can solve most other puzzles except for a Rubik's cube.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 7:27 pm

No.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 7:30 pm

Are you talking about a trial-and-error approach, Mr. XXX? Playing around with something to figure out the underlying patterns is something that I've always preferred over a step-by-step read-the-instructions approach. Moar fiddling, less planning, for me. I didn't know that there were instructions for solving Rubik's cubes. For me, they would suck all the joy out of the playing.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:08 pm

MrXxx wrote:
it was a method to learn to understand how it worked as opposed to a step by step solution.

Maybe a bit off topic - please tell me if I do something I shouldnt - but do you think most people seek to understand step by step process of dealing with problems or to undertand the more fundamental how?

I havent had the patience to figure out a rubix cube.

Last edited by Cogs on 02 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:11 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Are you talking about a trial-and-error approach, Mr. XXX?

No. Not really. Check two posts above (two of mine). I explained in more detail how I did it.

btbnnyr wrote:
Playing around with something to figure out the underlying patterns is something that I've always preferred over a step-by-step read-the-instructions approach. Moar fiddling, less planning, for me. I didn't know that there were instructions for solving Rubik's cubes. For me, they would suck all the joy out of the playing.

Same here. Pulling it apart, or following instructions would have ruined the whole purpose for me, at least the first time. Once I did it one time, I didn't care anymore.

circular
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm

Declension wrote:
For each of the three axes, define a certain rotation direction as positive. Then there are nine basic moves you can do, three on each axis, always turning one step in the positive direction. Let M be the set of these nine moves. From a given starting position, every possible position can be achieved in a finite number of steps, where each step is an element of M. One of these possible positions is the solution.

The set
Quote:
M union M^{2} union M^{3} union ...

is countable, so list all of the elements of this set in a certain order, interpret them as instructions, and try them one at a time. Reset the cube after each attempt by doing the instructions backwards.

There, it's solved. The rest is just optimisation. 8)

WARNING: This method is guaranteed to solve the cube in a finite number of steps, but depending on the ordering you pick, it could be a very high finite number.

lol I tried it by doing a computer program. It could solve only 5-6 moves or so. So I had the idea to compute in advance the set of positions that are reached by 5-6 moves, and then do the program search for it. It could then solve 11-12 moves.

By the way, about the sets of solutions, it is interesting to note that at each move, you go from Mi to Mi+1 or Mi-1. And if you compute all the moves (from 1 to ~20), in fact you find positions you already encountered before.

There is one first position. Then, you have 6 faces and 4 quarters, so in M1 there are 6*3 = 18 positions. Then you don't need to turn the face you just turned, so in {M1,M2} there are 18*15 positions. Then, you don't need to turn the face you just turned, and if you turned the opposite face, you don't need to turn the first either, so in {M1,M2,M3} there are less than 18*15*(15 * 4/5 + 12*1/5) = 18*15*14.4 etc.
The more you go, the less new solutions, until you reach to point k where the number of new solutions in {M1..Mk} is less than for M(k-1). I made a program to compute every position in the Tetraminx, and after the point k, there was very few moves until every position is found.

btbnnyr wrote:
Are you talking about a trial-and-error approach, Mr. XXX? Playing around with something to figure out the underlying patterns is something that I've always preferred over a step-by-step read-the-instructions approach. Moar fiddling, less planning, for me. I didn't know that there were instructions for solving Rubik's cubes. For me, they would suck all the joy out of the playing.

Well, if you get anywhere from here...

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 11:37 pm

I had one when I was a kid, and had solved it a few times when I was alone. As soon as my mom saw me solve it, it suddenly disappeared. She's always been jealous of anything I've done that she couldn't do herself. :roll:

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 11:52 pm

I succeeded one side with the right edges several times. The last time I tried, I had 14 cubes correctedly place, including one full side. However, nothing more.