Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Anie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Mar 2012, 3:45 pm

Hey all,
I am posting this here because I find it relevant to the cause.
After nine years, I have finally manged to jump over the traditional publishing hurdle by self-publishing my illustrated memoir/guide through Amazon.

Eccentricity on Amazon

I know the price is still high, but if I can give price breaks through this link;

Eccentricity on Createspace

and use the discount code, ' RHKTXBX8 ' , you can get $10.
If you can't afford it at all, the book is in PDFs on my website;

Eccentricity on SSP

Knowledge is useless if unobtainable.
Cheers for your time and take care,
-Anie

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 3:55 pm

Congratulations!

My novel is nearly ready to release into the world, so after some final tweaks I'll be looking into agents. Ulp! Self publication is an option if all else fails but I'd feel I wasn't even trying if I don't even submit it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

Congratulations! :)

I've thought about writing a book and I think I will, one of these days.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Mar 2012, 5:19 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Art, Writing, and Music]

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 5:38 pm

i have written a novel too. maybe we can share novels, mine isn't published, but it needs a lot of editing. can you tell me who published yours and if they helped you edit?

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

Nice work! I would like to buy the book and will soon.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

Congratulations! :jocolor:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 7:00 pm

the amazon river or amazon.com?

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm

Nice. In my experience the publishing world in general is bizarrely afraid of anything vaguely different from the average book. I had one publisher tell me I was 'too imaginative'. I mean, uhh.. It was a bit of a wakeup call to this Earth place of ours in general :)

Congratulations though, just from the cover I am interested

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2012, 10:07 pm

I read the PDF of "Senses." It was pretty cool. Now going to read "Theories."

Thinking of saving up to buy my very own. :)

Anie

04 Mar 2012, 7:25 pm

Hey loves! Cheers for the support.

@Thom_Fuleri
Go for it, man. As a novelist you have a lot more opportunities then I did. Getting an agent can be a total crapshoot, though and it's exhausting. Make sure you're ready for an uphill battle of aggravation. Or you could be lucky.:-)
Good luck!

@CockneyRebel
You go for it too.

@Cornflake - sorry, man.

@aspie48
I ended up self-publishing through createspace on amazon.com. Traditional publishing was not in the cards for me, as mine isn't a novel, but something weirder. As for editing, I did it myself, and it took FOREVER. Good luck, love.

@eigerpere
Cheers, love!

@AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Cheers also, love!

@ cathylynn
On Amazon.com

@ mglosenger
Nice. In my experience the publishing world in general is bizarrely afraid of anything vaguely different from the average book. I had one publisher tell me I was 'too imaginative'. I mean, uhh.. It was a bit of a wakeup call to this Earth place of ours in general.

Cripes, you don't know the half of it. I made this a year back.

It's about money. If it's weird, they have no way to guess if it will make money, and seeing as every book they put money into is a financial risk, weird is scary.

@ eristocrat
I read the PDF of "Senses." It was pretty cool. Now going to read "Theories."
Thinking of saving up to buy my very own.

Glad to hear it, love. Some may think it stupid of me to leave it up for free, but I was never in it for the money.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2012, 12:32 am

Personally, if I were a publisher, I'd be in it deliberately TO PUBLISH the weird stuff. The fact that every single publisher is only in it for the money depresses me, and makes me wonder what awesome books (and movies and music etc) I'm missing out on because the industry is run by wussies.

Frankly though, from my experience, if I were to publish weird stuff, I have a feeling I would go out of business. I've given up on this planet in general. BUT, the internet does occasionally allow for interesting things to appear.

That said, I am interested in your book, and I just realized that it is available in PDF form for free.. Thank you for doing that. I did the same (at first) and I suspect it reduced my chances of actually making any money or gaining (immediately) wider recognition via the backing of some (presumably influential) publishing entity. I greatly respect anyone who does so, though.

Ultimately, I know that it is the things that are available for free that become the most popular and therefore influential. That doesn't help much when I'm feeling stuck at a job I don't particularly enjoy, but that's just the current now and the current now is only current for a short time.

I salute you for writing a book and doing what it took to make it available.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2012, 9:40 pm

So far I've read the first part, the autobiographical. I am enjoying it. Well done.

Re: Not enjoying winters, I suggest moving somewhere southwards. It's what I'll be doing soon.. perhaps I'll easily find another job, or perhaps I'll wander around, or perhaps .. ? BUT, the weather has to be better than here, which isn't even as northwards as where you live.. cold weather with lack of sun always gets to me, and in this area it's all that ever happens, excepting the summer when it's actually generally enjoyable

Again I salute you