Developer

30 Mar 2006, 4:09 pm

===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================

Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic or transphobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.

Posting Specifications
--------------------
* Please don't post duplicate threads.
* Don't spam the forums with affiliate links
* Reposting a locked or deleted posts or threads is against the rules.
* Personal attacks against people or other sites are not permitted. If you have an issue with someone, talk to them about it somewhere other than our forum.
* Ensure that links and pictures in posts fit the page format
* Posts which disrupt the page format may be edited or deleted by the Moderators.
* Mentioning your own site is only permitted once you've contributed substantial useful content to the forums.
* Owners of WrongPlanet reserve the right to delete, edit, move, or lock any thread for any reason.

Signatures, Avatars, and custom ranks.
--------------------
* To use a signature, we ask that you place the signature text in the signature form on your user profile. Including signatures in the actual text of your posts is not permitted. WrongPlanet moderators may edit any post that contains a signature in the text of the post.
* Signatures should be no more than 6 lines long and may not contain any images or scripts of any kind.
* Please keep to the rules for avatar size, which can be found in the avatar editing page of the User Control Panel.

Spamming
--------------------
* Do not create multiple topics in a short amount of time.
* Do not create multiple similarly themed topics; please combine them into one topic.
* Cross posting is prohibited
* Please do not create pointless threads. These will be locked or deleted.
* Do not post just to post. Your post count can be reset if administrators feel you're doing this.
* Your posts may be deleted if they break any of the above rules about spamming.

Terms of Service
--------------------
* Members must read the terms of service. Members who violate the terms of service may be banned or warned depending upon the severity of the violation. By using the forums, you are agreeing to the terms of service.

Privacy Policy
--------------------
By using this site, you are agreeing to the privacy policy linked at the bottom of every page on Wrong Planet.

User accounts
--------------------
* Each user of WrongPlanet is only permitted to hold one user account unless given permission by the owner of WrongPlanet.net.
* Impersonating someone is not permitted.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Aug 2020, 11:34 pm

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY AMITY:

Hi there new members
I'm Amity and I arrived here in 2014 (ish) suspecting that I was one of the many undiagnosed adult women that had slipped through the cracks in the system.

Over the years certain themes have emerged here, where new members had different expectations to what was available, so I hope this post might set people up with some answers, based on my own time here and indeed covering some things I wish I had known at the beginning.

So some gentle guidance to help with navigating Wrong Planet...

All of the advice on this site is amateur (though usually quite knowledgeable) and your peers can be slow to respond.

This slow pace is quite normal for many people on the spectrum. It's a different communication style to what you may have encountered before. The benefit is that your natural communication style will fit right in too, whatever it may be. You dont have to conform :) .

Seeking friendship? Things move slowly in this area too, it's not a personal thing, but more so from what I've observed, it's natural for ASDrs to take their time in this area.

Wrong Planet is called a support site, but it's not like one you may have come across before. Its support from an autistic perspective from knowledgable amateurs. Some members favor giving direct succinct advice, others give elaborate responses to simple questions, some dont know the answer & say nothing and every other type of response inbetween.

Some questions have been asked many times before and nowadays recieve very few answers, I used the search function to find the answers I was looking for in old threads. On that topic, necro bumping old/dormant threads isnt usually the done thing.

If you want a place to discuss things safely, start a thread in The Haven, the rules (available here: viewtopic.php?t=297515) for it are different to the general rules for the forum, (available here: viewtopic.php?t=263570) its a protected space. I personally recommend it for anyone feeling vulnerable :) .
It operates on a type of gift economy, in that support is given by people with their own difficulties to people also with their own personal challenges. The idea is to reciprocate, depending of course on individual abilities.
The important thing to remember is that, here you are just normal, the eccentricities you may have been bullied for in Real Life are just standard and the challenges experienced are common to your peers on WP :) .

A note of caution... Politics Philosophy and Religion, News and Current Events and Love & Dating are sections of the site that I would advise a new member to steer clear of, until you have an idea of the regular posters in those sections and then, I recommend only posting when you are emotionally stable.
Those sections and topics seem to stir up emotions and can become quite heated. Besides this place is primarily about autism, there are other sites for political discussions.

From the list of forums on the Board Index, I recommend these ones:

General Autism Discussion

Getting to know each other

Bipolar, Tourettes, Schizophrenia, and other Psychological Conditions

Random Discussion

Off the Wall: Forum Games, Quizzes, Roleplaying, etc.

Members Only Discussion

Parents' Discussion

The Haven

Social Skills and Making Friends

School and College Life

Work and finding a Job

Health, Fitness, and Sports

Games and Video Games

Television, Film, and Video

Art, Writing, and Music

Computers, Math, Science, and Technology

Women's Discussion

In-Depth Adult Life Discussion

Adolescent Autism Forum

Kids' Crater

LGBT Discussion

WrongPlanet.net discussion

Stats

Español, Nederlands, Deutsch, Français

The site itself can be quite glitchy, the software is elderly at this stage...
Captcha, cloudfare flare ups, errors and notification issues are unfortunately an occurrence.

The moderators are also autistic, with their own challenges, but if you ever have issues that need assistance you can post them here publically: viewtopic.php?t=237032
if accountability and transparency are a concern for you.

Or if you cant see a mod on duty, post there requesting a moderator to private message you, as sometimes it's hard to know which Mod is on the volunteer rota at a particular time of day.
There is also the option of the report button on every post on the forum, this sends the mods a private notification.

Like anywhere else on the internet be vigilant of people private messaging you early on and if someone starts off friendly but then starts sending you unwanted attention, regardless of how popular they appear to be, privately report the message using the same button as above to the mods.

Why stick around? For me I never had the space to be me, as I am, without negative consequences until I joined here and realised that depending on the environment I was actually quite a regular person, also like many of us... I dont like change :lol: .

It's a space where you can be normal, not the special kid, or the odd one out, or watchful of your every word, just normal amongst other autistics and our neurodiverse and neurotypical allies.

I hope you feel welcome here.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/