Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Shell009
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

Its as if I don't have any "common sense"

* Its hard to judge other peoples' distances
* Its hard to "work with" traffic - to negotiate with other drivings when navigating traffic
* I can't always focus on everything that happens around me
* When my mind is on some other aspect of driving I fail to complete present driving tasks (not stopping at a parking lot intersection because I am thinking about driving and getting to a store, for example
* Judging when it is the correct time to change lanes
* I've been driven to familiar places repeatedly but I can almost never remember how to get there myself

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

I have the same problem, but I passed my driving test and I have my licence, I still hate driving though.
I have been given the one golden rule of driving when i 1st started driving lessons "You and ONLY you know what you are doing, everyone else are Idiots"

-As ive Learnt. 1 car leangth behind the car infront of you is a safe distance or 0.3 seconds
-Its hard to work with traffic for even an NT thats why we get road rage.
-Before you start driving plan out your route, where you have to go what you have to do on the way, where you have to change lanes to turn off to what exits/streets etc.
-Lanes changing, as i learnt best, indercate mirror, side mirror, shoulder check (blind spot) if safe (no car coming up beside you), move over.
-again plan your route in your head, or map it out, this allows you to mentally map out where you are going without having to worry about where you are going.

I am not sure if you are in America or where, but i come from Australia, The University of Sydney started up a Driving School for people with Aspergers/High Fucntion Autism.
There may also be schools like this in your country/area.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

Everything you wrote applies to me as well. That's why I hate driving. I'm so horrible at directions, I get anxious in traffic and to driving places I'm unfamiliar with, I can't drive on the freeway, etc.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 3:52 pm

I use a GPS system. Drive a Jeep ( as the environment moves slower ).

If in a car my stomach goes through the floor getting on a motorway.

But really in this country you would not even pass your hazard test with these other problems your talking about. Mind you I see some instructors who have passed people who should of failed.

You mean defensive driving Teredia? By other idiots

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

Teredia wrote:
I am not sure if you are in America or where, but i come from Australia, The University of Sydney started up a Driving School for people with Aspergers/High Fucntion Autism.

Do you have more information about this? Things like, what do they do differently from a normal driving course? Does it cost much? etc. Nowhere near Australia, just curious. I've never heard of such a driving program before.

Litzah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2012, 7:35 pm

I actually love driving, but it took me forever to learn. Even now, depending on my mood, the time of day, tiredness, levels of dyspraxia or whatever activity I was doing JUST before driving (acting, playing a musical instrument and engaging in writing or translating coordinates me), I drive more or less well. One thing that helps is to write down a list of things to pay attention to. Say if I forget to signal, I write on a piece of paper "I always signal in good time". Next time I go driving, I reread my list a few times. They are all positive affirmations, not negative (ie, "don't forget to signal") and no imperatives or orders used ("Signal in good time"), more like positive suggestions, like hypnosis. This, I find, is helping me a lot.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

Shell009 wrote:
Its as if I don't have any "common sense"

* Its hard to judge other peoples' distances
* Its hard to "work with" traffic - to negotiate with other drivings when navigating traffic
* I can't always focus on everything that happens around me
* When my mind is on some other aspect of driving I fail to complete present driving tasks (not stopping at a parking lot intersection because I am thinking about driving and getting to a store, for example
* Judging when it is the correct time to change lanes
* I've been driven to familiar places repeatedly but I can almost never remember how to get there myself

same here! I have a license but I never drive because I just can't deal with it.