Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Bluestockings
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2012, 10:39 am

I'm in the process of getting diagnosed with Asperger's and I believe my 70-year old father has it as well. He seems to be open to the idea and I would like to give him a book on Asperger's. Is there one you can recommend? He has a long history of being abused and used by other people and I think has a lot of shame, as a result. He has a mild drinking habit and I think if he knew he had Asperger's, it could help heal him.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 10:42 am

The complete guide to aspergers by Tony Attwood. As the title says it is thorough, and Tony attwood is known for possibly knowing the most about aspergers out of any psych.

I like that it is factual but not boring, it uses metaphors in ways that are not really confusing.

Tom_NUFC
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2012, 2:18 pm

It's a good book, apart from an insulting analogy for the partners of Aspergians:
"When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade."

A lemon is a term for something defective. We are not defective. We are not lemons.

Aside from that it's great.

I think a good starting point, one that covers the basics is Asperger Syndrome in Adults by Dr Ruth Searle. It doesn't cover everything and doesn't pretend to, but I found it at nice, light introduction.