Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 5:29 pm

I'm just about to finish my first quarter in college. I took 3 classes to get through most of the prerequisites like English Comp1 and a Psychology class. Also doing Pre-algebra to refresh my math.

This work load seem doable but I'm thinking of dropping to 2 classes next quarter. Next I have choices of Introduction to Algebra, Oral Communication, and finally getting to my computer class Networking Essentials 1.

Even though I hear Oral Communication isn't that hard I'm thinking of leaving it off so I will have enough available time to hopefully find a part time or even full time job. Also I'm anticipating Algebra will be challenging and time consuming.

I'm probably going to run this by a college adviser on Monday as well, but this has been on my mind so I thought it might help to hear from other people in college.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 7:30 pm

If you also want to work while studying, taking less courses at a time is best, but I also recommend only taking a part time job while attending school. It is not a good idea to overload your day with too many things to do, as it will wear you out too much. That will lead to stress and exhaustion, and you could be more prone to colds, and other bugs, too. You need to keep to a schedule that won't drain you.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 7:49 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I'm just about to finish my first quarter in college. I took 3 classes to get through most of the prerequisites like English Comp1 and a Psychology class. Also doing Pre-algebra to refresh my math.

This work load seem doable but I'm thinking of dropping to 2 classes next quarter. Next I have choices of Introduction to Algebra, Oral Communication, and finally getting to my computer class Networking Essentials 1.

Even though I hear Oral Communication isn't that hard I'm thinking of leaving it off so I will have enough available time to hopefully find a part time or even full time job. Also I'm anticipating Algebra will be challenging and time consuming.

I'm probably going to run this by a college adviser on Monday as well, but this has been on my mind so I thought it might help to hear from other people in college.

This is not widely known but some classes, you can take a test and "place out of them" if you pass, meaning you will get credit without having to take the course.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2012, 8:25 pm

I was taking five courses per semester and working two jobs (jobs which equaled about twenty hours/week). My hair started to fall out! I do not recommend piling on the work.

I don't know if you know the rule of thumb, but at our school it was recommended to study/do work for the course three hours for every one hour you're in class. This seems to be pretty on target if you want to do well.

I'll give you an idea:

One class would equal three hours of classtime per week. They would expect us to study or do work for the class nine hours per week for that course to get a high grade (the A or high B range).

I don't think this is a good rule of thumb for every class, but on average this would be true to get an A. It also depends on how competitve people are in your class, the workload, etc.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm

I had considered not doing Pre-Algebra. My admission scores were okay, but I decided it might be a good idea to do a refresher.

I tried to test out of English but I did not know APA Format. Also the test was presented using a pencil and stack of blank paper. I'm so used to typing and was taken aback and did a really back essay in my chicken scratch.

I've also considered attempting a test out of Network Essentials 1 but I've decided to just take it.

Otherwise thanks for the feedback on the college work load. I'm in a stable situation financially I guess but I'd like some disposable income and yet also balance time between a part time job and school. Hopefully I can find work around here.

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2012, 10:37 pm

I found Algebra a little difficult but fun. It is hard if you think more in pictures.

For me, I went to the Community College for two years and then transferred to a small University for two years to get my BA in Accounting. Since then I have been in six Universities. I also worked while I was at the Community College. Do what feels right. There is no hurry, sometimes taking less is better in case you have issues at home. Plan to have that extra time in case of family issues or whatever. In the end the goal should be getting the best grades possible and to that end set up whatever will achieve that result.

B

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:14 am

kg4fxg wrote:
I found Algebra a little difficult but fun. It is hard if you think more in pictures.

For me, I went to the Community College for two years and then transferred to a small University for two years to get my BA in Accounting.

People with AS generally aren't good with arithmetic, however people with HFA generally are.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 4:10 am

I tend to be a more visual person. Oddly in High School I did better in Geometry because it was measuring objects and felt more "real" or more practical.

But I don't think going down by 1 class will affect my student loan situation and I think I feel comfortable making the change from 3 to 2.

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2012, 4:48 am

I'm taking three courses as well as working over 30 hours/week. Two of the classes are for animation, which I dont know how many of you know/have done any but trust me its EXTREMELY time consuming. I am not a fan of my schedule right now :? Unless I get a better paying job with less hours (unlikely) before the fall, I'm seriously considering going down to two. Without a day to relax it wears me down and stresses me out.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

I have dabbled a little in TrueSpace3D but so far I haven't done 3D very seriously. I can imagine working with all the wire frames can be time consuming.

Actually I'm still in the early part of Microsoft Networking Certificate(MCTS OR MCITP) which is supposed to be about a year program. I may decide to expand my course to other things later. I may seriously look at computer security.

Otherwise, I suppose one choice if it's available is whether to live on a bigger student loan. I could increase the loan and my disbursements so that after books and tuition I have more spending money.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 7:43 pm

Heh actually right now I'm wrapping up this quarter working on final papers. I'm also starting to think having 2 classes Psychology and English that require writing essays is a bit much.

This weekend I'm doing a rough draft for an English Informative Essay plus what should be a final paper for Psychology. This is my first quarter and I'm really not used to writing in an Academic style either or this APA Format thing. :?

Oh well I just need to push on and pass these prerequisites classes.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 8:28 am

Keep in mind that, if you're on your parents' insurance, most insurance companies only will let you keep using your parents' plan if you are a full-time student. And the definition of a full-time student is 12 credits, which usually means three classes. I took the standard 16 credits every semester until my senior year, when I took 12 credits both semester. By that point, I was already done with all of my requirements, and it gave me extra time to work on my senior thesis. If you think two classes will work best for you, definitely do what works for you. I just wanted to alert you about the potential insurance problem.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 3:04 pm

It depends on whether you're on the quarter or semester system. On the semester system, I took anywhere from 4 to 6 classes at a time...on the quarter system, it was 3-5. Of course that depends on how many hours each course counts for and whatnot also. Unless you're REALLY struggling or you don't actually need to take many courses to graduate on time, I'd recommend taking more than 2 classes at once, just to make sure that you can graduate sooner. Of course that's just my personal opinion.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

I think what is giving me a hard time is classes that require Essays backed up by research references. For example my final English Comp essays requires I cite 5 sources so I have to scrounge around and come up with these sources and plug them into my essay. It's the research I find very time consuming.

It's also one reason I'm thinking of putting off Oral Communication because I expect it to require research.

As for insurance, well, I'm 35 and yes I'm living with my parents trying to start over. It is what it is and I just understand the economy is a mess, especially here in Michigan.