What is the point of elementary school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 6:13 pm

My mom helped me learn how to read. I learned math outside of school. I could not write effectively on my own until 6th grade.
The main other thing people say is that you learn interpersonal skills, which I apparently am not good at. So I just feel like I had about 3 years of schooling wasted.

edit: I know elementary school is 5 or 6 years, but I mean I didn't learn to read until going into 2nd grade, and that it could have been accelerated somehow.

Catman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2012, 6:27 pm

What's the point of most classes? Supposedly to make us well-rounded individuals. Wait. Sorry. Well-rounded sheep!

Anyway, I suppose "some" of it is needed to advance to highschool and then onto college. But most of it IS a waste of time. I'll admit that I did learn "some" socializing skills in elementary, highschool, and college, but obviously not enough. But for the NT's I'm sure it's most beneficial. :)

Any colleges that give accredited degrees without all the BS classes?! :?

EQ, SQ: 21, 67 (Extreme Systemizing); HSP: 12

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2012, 7:15 pm

Elementary school was a complete waste of time for me. I did not improve social skills during my time there but I did incur a great deal of emotional damage via my classmates.

Actually, to my mother's credit (although she did this for selfish, rather than altruistic reasons), she fought the school I attended on their mandatory 90% attendance rule based on my 95% and above scores in every subject. It is lucky that I was such an adept student or the school could have flunked me for missing so much school (I only attended about 65% of the time.).

As it was, they had no legal standing to expel me since the justification of the 90% attendance rule was that it was in place to ensure "that students had the opportunity during class time to learn the required material." A student with straight A's was clearly learning the required material.

Long story short, there isn't a point for some people to attend Elementary School. :?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:38 pm

Alexender wrote:
My mom helped me learn how to read. I learned math outside of school. I could not write effectively on my own until 6th grade.
The main other thing people say is that you learn interpersonal skills, which I apparently am not good at. So I just feel like I had about 3 years of schooling wasted.

edit: I know elementary school is 5 or 6 years, but I mean I didn't learn to read until going into 2nd grade, and that it could have been accelerated somehow.

For you, it may have been pointless, but for me, like about 99% of peoples, it learned me to read and basic maths. Of course I'm not as smart as many peoples here, and in fact, I had to repeat 6th grade.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:42 pm

To keep blowhards off of the streets; and to teach children, at the earliest possible age, to ignore them :)

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:51 pm

@tollorin I highly doubt that 99% of people would agree with you.