Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 2:02 pm

I always seem to find humor where others don't...usually because of one thought being expanded into a nonsensical image in my head. Im shocked this isn't more common frankly, it makes conversations far more enjoyable I imagine.

Basically my sense of humor is Calvin and Hobbes, Monty Python, Better Off Ted and Big bang Theory styled jokes. However, most my generation likes 4chan, College Humor and Cracked for humor, all immature drivel I think.

Anybody else here feel detached from their generation with their sense of humor?

One of the things that makes me laugh most is the Shiny Happy People video (by R.E.M.)

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2012, 2:34 pm

Oh yes, I have the same sense of humor, with one random thought turning into some nonsensical scenario.
For example, someone in my psych class said that the first word to come to mind (we were doing free association) after hearing "roller coasters" was angry. Then I thought, "are we anthropomorphizing roller coasters now?" Then I thought, "Does rule 34 apply to roller coasters?"
Is this the sort of humor you're talking about?

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 6:28 pm

Hahaha yes, though with me it's usually scenarios like Rube Goldberg Devices or musical oddities, such as a waltz in metal.

I'll share an example as well:
In physical science they were talking about metal and conductivity. I got Twisted Metal from "metal" and from there I got car destruction and tried to make a destruction derby joke. Needless to say nobody followed it.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 8:05 pm

My humour is also seen as different. I don't think it is always well understood by more "conventionnal" people who don't know me well. I like absurdity and non sequiturs a lot. I also tend to use sarcasm, but it works better when I'm tired, oddly.

On the whole, my humour is for myself more than for others.

Last edited by enrico_dandolo on 09 Mar 2012, 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paulie_C
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2012, 3:13 am

enrico_dandolo wrote:
On the whole, when my humour is for myself more than for others.

^ This. I often make up jokes and because I have made them up I often find myself laughing at them a lot. I do have an innate ability to make other people laugh but I have learnt it's all about delivery and timing. I can make the worst pun sound funny if I wait for the right moment and say it in just the right way.
I also laugh at anything that's funny, it doesn't matter how controversial it is, if I make that 'link' in my head to humour, then I'll just laugh (and not feel bad about it because I know it's just a joke to me).

One of the problems I have with humour is that I often find myself thinking of something funny, say, on the way to work. Once the 'link' has been made I just want to laugh but there are others around me and I'm aware that if I do I may get 'looks'. So instead I smile and try to keep it in but I will just make myself laugh like that all the time. I have found a solution to this however. If I feel like I need to burst out laughing on the way to work I will just pull out my phone quickly, pretend to answer it, and seconds later I will let it rip. Anyone walking by just thinks a friend had told me a joke and I look a little less crazy to strangers. On second thought, I really shouldn't care...

In fact I'm laughing right now. I find it funny when women shake their heads and fingers and say "Oh no you didn't", haha!

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

Why would you try to hide your laughter? It's great stress release.

And I never got joke delivery down, but private jokes are fine. Makes us more independent I suppose.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

Well one time I visited a friend in New York City and we saw this big church Cathedral with these huge front doors that were closed. Only some side doors were open.

I started imaging the big door only open for a major event and it's a big deal when they do. Then for some reason I imagined it like some big temple door in a movie opened by a bunch of ropes on huge pulleys being driven by one huge boulder attached to a rope the a priest released.

I related that a little to my friend who thought it was weird but kind of funny.