18 years old an still playing with toy dinosours?

Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

When i was younger the doctor told my mother i am 2 years behind other children.
Not only in work but other things.

Im still playing with toys.
I love it an i love the subject of dinosours too.
Im wondering now is there something wrong with me? playing still like a child as if i was 8.
Im wondering is it possible to be more years behind others then normle?but still can funshion in ways like others your age?
Or am i just thinking to much?
help.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 9:43 am

There is nothing wrong with playing with toys. It's just not "socially acceptable" to regular society. So, basically, the only way that can affect you is if you care if people see you as normal or not. If you don't care, carry on. If you do, then you should stop playing with toys because people won't think you are normal.

It is very possible to be mature in other ways and still have child-like interests and enjoyment. I think it is a good thing.

Nothing is absolute.

XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2012, 9:47 am

myth wrote:
There is nothing wrong with playing with toys. It's just not "socially acceptable" to regular society. So, basically, the only way that can affect you is if you care if people see you as normal or not. If you don't care, carry on. If you do, then you should stop playing with toys because people won't think you are normal.

It is very possible to be mature in other ways and still have child-like interests and enjoyment. I think it is a good thing.

Im just wondering if its Normle (brain wise) to be playing at 18 with toys as if you were still 8.
I look at myself like yeah this looks strange so i hide it i play in my room.
But i have been craveing to go by the rode like i used to and play outside.
but to others....would i be mentoley f****d up" ? its not bad its not i dont wanna be looked at like this.

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2012, 9:54 am

Personally I wish I could still play with toy dinosaurs at this age, or toy anything.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 9:57 am

No, it's not "normal"

Most people lose interest in toys at a certain age. Or think they are supposed to (distinction without a difference).

Yes, people would think there was something mentally wrong with you if they saw an 18 year old playing with dinosaur toys on the sidewalk. They would probably think you were mentally ret*d.

That was my initial point. If you are concerned with appearing strange then maybe it is something you might want to let go of. I'm with Diabolikal and find it admirable. But most people won't see it that way since it is not what "regular" people do.

Nothing is absolute.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

I find playing with toys boring.

Does writing stories and getting my mother to read them back to me count as childish?

Gnomey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Mar 2012, 10:03 am

Your 18 years old so they are not toys now but a collection and you are collecting dinosaurs. I personally don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 10:05 am

You seem to be developmentally delayed yes, don't worry about it, there's nothing you can do.

Just don't let it ruin your life.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

Hmph. If you like dinosaurs, you like dinosaurs. Don't let anybody make you ashamed of it. Dinosaurs are cool. I know a woman in her late 40s who is the director of a graduate program at my school, and she loves dinosaurs, too. They're fascinating creatures, even more so because of the mystery we have to piece together from just the fossils we're lucky enough to find.

I'm behind in socializing and in taking care of myself and in understanding other people, and I probably always will be; but that doesn't mean I can't follow my dreams, do what I like to do, and learn new things. You're behind in some stuff, yourself; but that's okay. Anybody who says differently is an ignorant jerk and can be ignored. You should learn at your own pace, and live your own life--not the life that other people say you should live.

And if your life includes dinosaurs, then that's a good thing. That's part of what makes you the person you are.

Besides, lots of people in their mid-twenties still like "kid stuff". Why do you think My Little Pony and Pokemon are still so popular among college students?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 10:49 am

There is nothing wrong with it and if you enjoy it do it and its not hurting anyone and being destructive do what you want to do.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2012, 10:50 am

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing with toys at any age but I would do it (Hell, I DO do it :D ) in private to avoid judgement by small-minded people.

If something makes you feel relax and feel good and it harms no-one I don't know what is wrong with it.

I still love dinosaurs at my age and so does my girlfriend. We often buy each other toys and fossils, she bakes me dinosaur biscuits and I draw her cartoons of them and so on.

You may or may not "grow out of" the desire to just play but it doesn't matter one way or the other. Could you develop your interest into making models or pictures of dinosaurs or perhaps doing some animation (I'd love to do some stop-motion animation)? Would you be interested in studying palaeontology (I did)?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 10:56 am

I have a model railroad layout. Some of the wildlife depicted there includes herbivorous dinosaurs. I'm in my mid-fifties.

Just because you're "old" does not mean that you stop having fun.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 12:00 pm

If it makes you happy then what's wrong with it?

I can remember very vividly the moment I lost interest in playing with toys (well, the children's kind anyhow). I was 13 years old and playing with a "space ship" when all of a sudden I thought to myself, "this isn't any fun anymore". I then put down the toy and never played with any again.

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

09 Mar 2012, 12:03 pm

There's nothing wrong with that. I read that because it is a form of Pervasive Developmental Disorder, people with Asperger's tend to look and act younger than they are. When I was in high school, long before I was diagnosed, I was obsessed with animated cartoons. In fact, my mother had bought me a book on the history of animation for a Christmas present. I thought it was the coolest thing ever! :D I don't watch cartoon shows anymore, but I still like animated movies. If people judge you for this type of behavior, then that's their problem and they are just jerks. By the way, if you like dinosaurs, then you'll love this. My mother just wrote a children's book that has dinosaurs and dragons in it, called Miss Crumcake's Amazing Divining Rod by R.G. Gokool. You can find it on amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com, or on the Tate Publishing website.

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

I'm 19 years old and I wish I still could play with my dinosaurs, I want to but I can't think of any story to play anymore.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

I agree with everyone but I think most of you are overlooking his actual question which is "is it normal/will other people judge me or be fine with it"
I agree that he shouldn't be concerned about how others view it but his question is actually regarding how others view it so telling him that its ok may incorreclty answer his question because I believe that most people will indeed judge him adversely for it.

Nothing is absolute.