Similarities & Differences: Why the DSM-V Makes Sense

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 12:51 pm

Sora wrote:
Maybe there needs to be a shift in perspective of what the medical issue is. Perhaps removing it from the DSM but keeping it in the ICD, putting it into another category to point out that being born and growing up with the wrong gender makes up the "disorder", not making it out as if the realisation that it is wrong.

Very eloquently said, if you ask me. You are totally right about cheap insurance companies not wanting to pay for gender identification surgeries and treatments unless there's some sort of label.

Nash: Is there a difference?

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

Sora wrote:
OddDuckNash99 wrote:
CyclopsSummers wrote:
I'm more perplexed that the DSM-V sustains gender dysphoria as a disorder. This is the 21st century.

Ditto. Almost mentioned that in my post. Keeping transsexuality in the DSM-V is no different than homosexuality being in the DSM-III. It's highly offensive.

It might be different elsewhere, but without a definite expression in form of a diagnosis insurance won't pay for what they call "treatments" of what's "wrong" until it's "right" such as hormone therapy or sex reassign surgery.

No idea of political correctness about this topic so feel free to correct me/my wording, but:

If the diagnosis were to be removed completely people who pursue such changes will have to be rich or will be forced to stay put. In case someone can pay for what they want, it will also likely be very difficult to convince health professionals that it's not "all in your head" and that your "ill" experience can be "removed" but a perfectly real thing wrong with your gender that needs to be changed.

Maybe there needs to be a shift in perspective of what the medical issue is. Perhaps removing it from the DSM but keeping it in the ICD, putting it into another category to point out that being born and growing up with the wrong gender makes up the "disorder", not making it out as if the realisation that it is wrong and the association with the opposite gender is a behavioural problem by calling it a mental disorder or (in case of the ICD) a disorder of personality and behaviour.

What you said makes great sense.

Since Gender Dysphoria and Transgenderism are seen as malfunctions of the mind, not the body, recognition as a 'mental disorder' is basically essential in order to receive coverage for treatments, as you said. Maybe one day it will be considered a sort of 'genetic defect', in that the body grew in opposition of the mind, instead of vice versa. It just comes down to how we, as a society, define sex and gender. If you look like a male and have all the male parts, you're male. If you tell someone you're female, they will obviously believe that this feeling is a disorder of your mind.

Homosexuality, aside from obvious reasons, shouldn't be in the DSM because it does not require any type of treatment. If you're transgendered, you'll most likely require treatment, so the label must stick. It's odd to think, though, that the 'cure' for a 'mental disorder' is physical alteration, not mental alteration. :roll:

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

fragileclover wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
fragileclover wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Now even more people who only have a few arbitrary things in common are being lumped together.

Would you care to elaborate? My understanding of the DSM-V changes may be too basic.

As I currently understand, the spectrum will be simplified to 'Autism', with varying levels of diagnosis depending on severity, as based on need for support.

We'll all still need to meet certain diagnostic criteria for autism, but instead of separating us by differences in early development, individual diagnosis will be based on our ability to function.

Again, I am able to relate on a base and innate level with someone who has classic autism, but my expression of traits and level of functioning are not as severe...so it makes sense to me to be considered 'mildly autistic' instead of being a separate diagnosis.

Autism an umbrella term, and it always has been, a lot of confusion stems comes from thinking that everyone with autism is neurologically similar. Maybe most are, but autism is defined by observing behaviors. This was even more true for autistic disorder than Aspergers, though there is a significant divide between the more HFA aspies and the more NVLD aspies, and what ever other types of aspies there are. Now the arbitrary lines between the different groups have been removed, but many people who are only arbitrarily similar are still in the same category. I think a bettter way of tackling this would have been to redefine autism and farther break it down with less arbitrary distinctions would have been better than just lumping everyone together, as severity is not a linear scale. Just because two autistic people fall on the same place on the severity scale does not mean that they need the same adjustments.

Consider it this way, though. How about individuals who suffer from clinical depression, but whom all respond differently to different medications; well to some, not at all to others. Should a distinction be created for each 'type' of depression that responds to different treatment? Of course not. What all of these people share is debilitating depression...but to varying levels. For some, that means not being able to work, for others, it means not being able to get out of bed at all. Doctors will treat the person according to the severity of their depression or ability to function.

To do what you're saying would require dozens of classifications along the spectrum...'person A has 'x' type of Autism because he/she functions very well, but has severe issues with bright lights, so requires dim light or dark sunglasses to go outside' - 'person B is not able to function without support, but prefers daily visits over someone living with them, as person C requires'. I mean, the different varities of severity and expression of traits and need for support are literally endless, and would only serve to fracture and split up the community more.

Well technically the posssiblies are finite, just probably incomprehensibly large. anyway, I didn't mean for it to be broken down that much, just a bit more specific than it is right now.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:37 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
im curious under the new system,if you already have a formal aspergers DX.
1.does that mean you automaticly have a level 1 autism DX
2.or does that mean your previous diagnosis automaticly vacated and you will need a new formal DX

[citation please]

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:43 pm

Homosexuality might not require treatment in the same way as those seeking to physically change gender, but might still require support, counselling, and protection from intolerance. The finer details, I suspect lie in cultural differences. I would prefer if things were obvious, but like the rolling eyes, many things pass me by.

Edit: lazy and careless wording

Last edited by Orr on 14 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

Orr wrote:
Homosexuality might not require treatment in the same way as trangenderism, but might still require support, counselling, and protection from intolerance. The finer details, I suspect lie in cultural differences. I would prefer if things were were obvious, but like the rolling eyes, many things pass me by.

Sorry but how does the "ICD" or "DSM" protect from less intolerance ( by way if i missread it about after transgenderism as been also part for trangenderism & not just homosexuality ). Seems to cause a wake of destruction. Then they forget the part about the aftermath of destruction by not providing the actual service. I don't know what the NHS policy is on "require treatment" is it classed as cosmetic surgery with a medical reason or just "cosmetic surgery" & do you get it or do you need to pay private just interest.

Seems if they spent as much time as they did on the DSM, ICD as the services maybe we would have stuff.

Just seems it causes more ignorance than actually helping & (some)charitys don't help either on how they advertise for money.

What we need is services not stupid book updates. Proper services. & really all the data needs to be stuck under 1 roof as it's probably laying all over the place with a bunch of people doing the exact same research.

They not even got services for the last book let alone spitting a new one out.

( you know "sexual orientation" is about as complicated as these books are )

Edit: "I don't know if you were offending anyone or not Orr, I am also sorry if my post is offensive about that particular topic" But seems it's more than 1 type under the name.

Last edited by TechnoDog on 13 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 4:38 pm

I opine, possibly incorrectly, that education and recognition protects from intolerance. I was lazily refering to those who seek to physically change their gender. I am sorry if any of my post is offensive.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 8:46 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
2.or does that mean your previous diagnosis automaticly vacated and you will need a new formal DX

[citation please]

Quote:
The changes would narrow the diagnosis so much that it could effectively end the autism surge, said Dr. Fred R. Volkmar, director of the Child Study Center at the Yale School of Medicine and an author of the new analysis of the proposal. “We would nip it in the bud.”

An interesting side note READ THIS CAREFULLY IT IS SIGNIFICANT: I've had a printout of this article for several weeks now, it was printed and given to me by my therapist. I used the address at the bottom of my printout to copy the link here and intended to copy and paste the following statement below. when I looked at the article a few minutes ago the text had been modified to the quote above as you will see it now when you click the link. At some point this article was edited to make the original statement, found in my older copy, much softer. Notice in the edited current version, quoted above, the bolded sentence 'The changes would narrow the diagnosis so much that it could effectively end the autism surge, said Dr. Fred R. Volkmar,' it is no longer a direct quote of Dr. Volkmar but a much softer paraphrase while in the original (quoted below) the direct quote of Dr. Volkmar is given. At some point after the article was released somebody put pressure on NYTimes to modify the language. It was pure accident that I realized this because it happened to be the statement that I intended to paste here for you and I noticed the change while trying to copy it a few minutes ago. In my printed article the text is exactly as follows, look at the difference-

Quote:
"The porposed changes would put an end to the autism epidemic," said Dr. Fred R. Volkmar, director of the Child Study Center at Yale University School of Medicine and an author of the new analysis. "We would nip it in the bud - think of it that way."

Here is the link ---> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/health/research/new-autism-definition-would-exclude-many-study-suggests.html?pagewanted=all

Apparently Dr. Volkmar feels we are an epidemic to be nipped in the bud by changing the definition of what's wrong with us.

The following two paragraphs appear in my original copy and the current copy without modification and are also significant to what you are asking-

Quote:
In the new analysis, Dr. Volkmar, along with Brian Reichow and James McPartland, both at Yale, used data from a large 1993 study that served as the basis for the current criteria. They focused on 372 children and adults who were among the highest functioning and found that overall, only 45 percent of them would qualify for the proposed autism spectrum diagnosis now under review.

The focus on a high-functioning group may have slightly exaggerated that percentage, the authors acknowledge. The likelihood of being left out under the new definition depended on the original diagnosis: about a quarter of those identified with classic autism in 1993 would not be so identified under the proposed criteria; about three-quarters of those with Asperger syndrome would not qualify; and 85 percent of those with P.D.D.-N.O.S. would not.

*edit* If you guys are not concerned you should be.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 9:09 pm

None of that makes any claims about people who are already diagnosed.

It makes claims about people who are not yet diagnosed using a bad study with faulty data, but it does not say anything about people not keeping diagnoses that they already have.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 9:15 pm

Tuttle wrote:

It makes claims about people who are not yet diagnosed using a bad study with faulty data, but it does not say anything about people not keeping diagnoses that they already have.

Might need it if you actually need support though, as they might not give access without it. Depends how they view it really & how the people offing the service take it. But ye its on nytimes site.

edit:- Might not give a "1", maybe if they look at your diagnosis and see a certain number not met of criteria. & ask you to retake. Or they might just do (2).

Really should ask someone who will know the answer really & not dwell on it.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 9:49 pm

Tuttle wrote:

Oh I get it, you think we'll be 'grandfathered' in. Good luck with that. Tell you what, after the DSM 5 comes out go to the DPS department of a college and tell them you need services because you have Aspergers. You think you're in some central database that's going to update you from AS to autism when the new DSM comes out? What ever place you are trying to get services from is going to tell you to get new documentation because AS no longer exists. When you try to get that new documentation you will evaluated under the new criteria. Sorry, I can't link common sense.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 11:58 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Tuttle wrote:

Oh I get it, you think we'll be 'grandfathered' in. Good luck with that. Tell you what, after the DSM 5 comes out go to the DPS department of a college and tell them you need services because you have Aspergers. You think you're in some central database that's going to update you from AS to autism when the new DSM comes out? What ever place you are trying to get services from is going to tell you to get new documentation because AS no longer exists. When you try to get that new documentation you will evaluated under the new criteria. Sorry, I can't link common sense.

There is no central database or anything, but when you have the stamp, you have the stamp. The point is not to destroy what exists, but to put together a bunch of diagnoses with only differences of scale between each other, and then to distinguish between individuals.

In any case, changing the DSM does not delete the knowledge of what existed before. I don't imagine therapists will expect that everyone with Asperger's syndrome will be completely aware of the new diagnosis, and I think it is likely that the old terminology will be used concurently for some time.

You feel much too strongly about it. There are many things more important than just the symptom checklist. The actual help provided to people with any definition of the disorder, for a start.

vermontsavant wrote:

No to both.

1) People with Asperger's could fit with the second level of severity too, I imagine. They would be "automatically" somewhere on the spectrum, though -- because, you know, they already are.
2) There would be no reason to restart the process.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:44 am

If you're diagnosed with AS now from the DSM-IV-TR, you'll have an ASD insofar as the DSM-V goes. The only time anything will change is if someone requires you to be reevaluated (there's doubt over your diagnosis), then you'll be evaluated with the current manual. People diagnosed with autism back in the DSM-III and its updates still had it when -IV came out.

There's hardly any difference between AS in the DSM-IV-TR and ASD in the DSM-V in regards to meeting the threshold; one more in the social domain is needed, and one more in the repetitive behaviors section (they added sensory stuff to it though). I personally doubt that'd preclude anyone who actually has an ASD. The DSM-IV-TR had some strict bits needed too ("considerable disability").

Also, the DSM isn't the only criteria people use: I was diagnosed via Gillberg's Criteria at Attwood's place here. Does that mean I don't have AS if it's not from the DSM?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:18 am

Dillogic wrote:
The only time anything will change is if someone requires you to be reevaluated (there's doubt over your diagnosis), then you'll be evaluated with the current manual.

Which is exactly what happens when you apply for services. My point is when people apply for services, especially government services, the agency will look for every excuse to deny the person. I know this as fact because I went through it; including being forced to do an evaluation just 6 month after my original DX. This will be one more excuse.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:54 am

Rascal77s wrote:

I didn't quote all the quotes of what you wrote down, but I agree with you. I have a similiar and sneaky feeling that this will happen. And agree with everything you have said.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 8:24 am

Add to the picture SCD (Social Communicaton Disorder), that's been proposed to include in DSM-V. What do you think, why?

Social Communication Disorder - A new category in DSM 5
http://crackingtheenigma.blogspot.com/2 ... r-new.html

See subtitle What is autism?
http://crackingtheenigma.blogspot.com/2 ... d-nos.html