Are online masters degrees legit?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2012, 12:23 am

I'm thinking about getting an online maters degree in history from American Public University because I don't want to drive to school and back every day. My question is can I get into a phd program later with a degree from this online school? I don't want to work my butt off and waste all of my money on a degree that isn't worth anything. It claims to be regionally accredited but can I still get into a phd program with this degree or should I suck it up and go to a brick and mortar university?

pete_dystopia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2012, 1:59 am

Distance learning doesn't usually go against people, in fact it shows good self-discipline skills in gaining a qualification that way. But I think it might be worth checking with that particular PhD program just to be on the safe side.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 4:03 am

Your safest bet for an online college, university, or vocational school is one that is a regular brick and mortar school that also provides online courses. These are real places, where real students and teachers are in attendance, not some fly by night fake degree mill. I would be suspicious of any online degree program that does not originate from a regular college, university, or vocational school. Many regular schools now have online courses, and some of them even offer some of their courses for free, but the free courses usually don't include a degree or certificate. However, taking courses online saves money on transportation, dorm costs, food, and other expenses, so even paying for the online courses is still a good deal for many people, and also can be more convenient, too.

Do check out carefully, what ever online schools you are interested in signing up with. This is a good education option for many people.

charlesshutt12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 May 2012, 11:53 pm

With people working and wanting to continue with their education at the same time, online education is gaining popularity. But there are certain things you need to look for before going in for online college, the most important being accreditation. If the school lacks accreditation, it’s better not to enroll. If it is accredited, then, yes, the degree is valid and you can go on to do your PhD later. What Questor said makes sense too. Look for online programs that originate from on-campus schools. Reading student reviews and testimonials online is another good way to judge a college. For instance, I had googled Independence University complaints, and came to know that the Better Business Bureau website has given it an A rating. Do a detailed study on the web and look for colleges whose program content fits your needs, and carefully assess its background before you think of applying.

swilltastic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2012, 8:28 am

American Public is legit so go for it... you need to be careful with some of these guys though because a lot of them are pure diploma mills. As long as you have the discipline, you can probably get a better education at home than in a lecture class! It worked for me like that in high school. I've only taken a handful of online courses, but sometimes I like to go to a real class just to listen to the professor. But then again, I have ridiculously good luck with professors.

Absolutely, take advantage

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

17 May 2012, 12:33 am

I got my BA online at National University and I am now working on my MS through Nova Southeastern also online-wouldn't do it any other way. If I get my Ph.D that will also be online. You do have to be very careful to make sure the school is accredited. As someone posted-both of these schools are also brick & mortar and I take their online programs.

coatesdj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2012, 4:01 am

A certain person I know (ahem!) is doing an online MA through the New School in NYC (legitimate place, for sure...). We've had to set foot on campus exactly once in all this time and I know she wouldn't have it any other way. She was never really all that enthused about the usual college runaround when we were undergrads anyway. In my case, it's too bad that California is the only state that will recognize an online law degree, but then again, there are certain ancillary benefits to being in law school here that make it almost worth the hassle of having to show up in person every day.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2012, 3:00 pm

If it's a reputable school and program.... usually.

I wouldn't recommend online nursing, online scientific research, and things that wouldn't typically be done at home.

Personally, I would see if there's a "traditional" school that just happens to have an online program you can go with. I tend to avoid schools that are known online for online programs (or are online-only schools). APU is known as an online school. But, if it works for you and you want a Ph.D. later, the Ph.D. is possible later from a B&M. If you end with a MA and it's an online-only school, it might not go as far as B&M (or online MA, then B&M PhD).

Venerab1e1 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting an online maters degree in history from American Public University because I don't want to drive to school and back every day. My question is can I get into a phd program later with a degree from this online school? I don't want to work my butt off and waste all of my money on a degree that isn't worth anything. It claims to be regionally accredited but can I still get into a phd program with this degree or should I suck it up and go to a brick and mortar university?

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 4:29 pm

It is completely legitimate. I have an AA in business from University of Phoenix and I am working on my bachelors in small business management at the moment. They even use school funding such as the pell grant and student loans. On-line schooling is legitimate, convenient, not as stressful and definitely a great option.

Krakken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2014, 11:20 am

I'm gonna apply to the Udacity OMS CS program during their next intake cycle. Right now I'm trying to find funding. I'm up to my neck in student loans and can't take out more debt to fund it.