Do you think overpopulation is a problem and what is your so

Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Is overpopulation a problem?
No, but I don't think Malthusians are sinister, just innocently incorrect 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
No, I think it is an elitist scam and anti-human belief 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Yes, but I think the problem can/should be solved with birth control, education, etc 80%  80%  [ 33 ]
Yes, and I think if we have to, mass murder and forced sterilization is acceptable 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 41

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 3:07 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Janissy wrote:

we will definately have to change our habits. I think the habit change that will be most beneficial (and ultimately inevitable) is greatly expanding our definition of animal edibility. Every city currently "raises" pigeons via architecture that mimics their natural habitat but nobody eats them. That will change. Many people in industrialized countries also have lost touch with the "head to tail" animal eating that was used by previous generations (sometimes only one or two generations back) and think only the muscle is food. That will change. Insects can provide protein and do in some countries. But most people find that revolting and would eat tripe long before eating bugs. But ultimately that will change too.

Mmm...kidneys and hearts. I would eat insects before I'd eat brains, though.

Braaaaiiiiiinnnnnnssssssss!! !! !! !! !!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2012, 8:09 pm

TheHouseholdCat wrote:
Overpopulation, in my opinion, IS a problem because it is totally out of control.

And people who actively decide NOT to have children still get a lot of criticism. :?

I think we need better education on this. We shouldn't tell some people they shouldn't have children and tell others that they HAVE to have children, no matter what.

I both agree and disagree with you among others. Like most people who answered the poll, I chose the third answer, yet I do not think overpopulation by itself is the largest problem, as serious as it is because of its effect on famines because, even Africa is slowly beginning to improve. The main challenge is both making efforts to prioritze our use of resources and providing education about nonabortive contraceptives (to those who consent to it) through independent NGOs. This way, when the inhabitants of southern countries could afford better lifestyles, westerners will not hypocritcally accuse them of pollution and depletion.

What is most frightening about overpopulation is the possibilty that it may not slow down during the course of globalization, which could lead to instability as those with new access to resources, technology, and employment opportunites could possibly battle over them and the means to attain them. Access to clean water has already been implicated in conflicts. People, compared to over species, have immense capacities necessary for destruction, especially in large groups. Thus the proverb, "the more, the merrier" seems, at best, naive.

However, I think underpopulation is a problem in western countries, especially in the older ones, in which the majority is gradually being replaced by populations from Southwest Asia and Northern Africa, who have not been raised in cultures conducive to modernity or technological progress. A lot of people with no health concerns or disabilities whatsoever are no longer willing to sustain our societies.