Autism and art ~ Can it be anything more than therapeutic?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2012, 6:16 pm

Well if your not taking the "art learning" outside of the therapy. Must not be interested in it. As you would pick up books and read. I am good at technical drawing. But that’s because I pay attention to detail. When making prototypes for my game. Before modelling them in a 3d application.

Really you can create your own portfolio then you need to sell it. Really since you could probably stick a prism type device with the middle cut out & stick paint in it on a rotating base & hit a detonator. Called painting with explosives lol

Really the amount of art I see that really to me does not look like art. But then if it's art to the person then they will buy it.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

Visual Art can be used to express emotions, feelings, reactions, etc where words fail. The art world should therefore be full of autistic people

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2012, 9:05 pm

pensieve wrote:
Some people are artists, others not. If there are autism therapy classes not everyone will become a great artist.
Not everyone has this skill. I believe it is inborn or hereditary. My dad was a great artist and each sibling has been artistic in some way. My eldest sister was a painter and she and my brother were musicians. My sister closest to my age was good at drawing too. I'm very good at drawing/ painting animals, technology (spaceships) and landscapes. Our mother isn't good at drawing at all but is a writer and we all get our writing strengths from her. I'm writing my own series which has a lot about art than math in it, and it's science fiction.

Since I was 2 or 3 I've been drawing and I excelled every student in any art class, without realising it. The teachers would just always tell my mum I had a gift and I still get told I have a gift, though I only draw on weekends. I work on projects that I never complete but I suppose it is very calming. When I was 10 I was awarded with a plaque and a shield for my artistic skill. It was a big deal because I was the poorest student, least likely to pass a grade let alone win an award. I didn't even wear my uniform to the event. I wore the orange shirt I wore everyday.

I will never be a mathematician or physicist but I am a talented artist with barely any training, and others may be just the opposite. A lot of people don't believe in right or left brained dominance but I've found those on the spectrum do have a leaning to one side or the other.

I actually don't think I have a superior skill, in fact I still think I draw like I did when I was 10. But I've had pro artists for like 30 years find my regular doodles of dogs and trees amazing. My sister was shocked when I didn't take the drawing home with me.

So..what was I saying? Oh yeah, not everyone can learn to become a great artist. I've tried to get better at math and it just won't happen.

While expertise in science (and language) is probably associated with the left brain, math is actually believed associated with the right brain like visual art.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

lasirena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

brandonkiddo wrote:
And I'm not merely speaking of 'art therapy', just where the cut-off is for autistic artist in general, since it seems like either you get amazing exceptional savant skills, or you get swindled (with an usually less than exceptional skillset).

I'm not sure this is at all true- it may be that the exceptional skill in savantism garner a lot of media attention, mere artistic talent is not so sensational.
There may also be a lot of artists out there who fall somewhere on the autism spectrum but this aspect is not obvious to every outsider.
I can think of at least one example- the subject of the book Exiting Nirvana- who is both autistic and an artist, but does not qualify as a savant.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2012, 4:38 am

OP, how do you define Art? How do Conceptual Art and Installation Art fit into your definition?
Are you interested in Art created by people with Savant Syndrome or by people with Autism? Not all savants are autistic, and not all people with autism are savants.