Post a random quote from a book you're reading

Page 13 of 16 [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 11:09 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Admit it. You aren’t like them. You’re not even close. You may occasionally dress yourself up as one of them, watch the same mindless television shows as they do, maybe even eat the same fast food sometimes. But it seems that the more you try to fit in, the more you feel like an outsider, watching the “normal people” as they go about their automatic existences. For every time you say club passwords like “Have a nice day” and “Weather’s awful today, eh?”, you yearn inside to say forbidden things like “Tell me something that makes you cry” or “What do you think deja vu is for?”. Face it, you even want to talk to that girl in the elevator. But what if that girl in the elevator (and the balding man who walks past your cubicle at work) are thinking the same thing? Who knows what you might learn from taking a chance on conversation with a stranger? Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others…

Timothy Leary

I'm actually a fan of the guy. I know bit about him.
And his 90's counterpart, Terrence Mckenna. (That's a whole another level of articulateness.)

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 11:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Rather than read Villette's expressive style as reflecting a kind of autistic failure, however, it is worthwhile to take a more oblique approach, taking note of the autistic resonances in the novel's expressive reticence, but also reflecting on the intense critical attention and intense critical hostility that emerge in reaction to the narrator's seemingly inaccessible style of thought.

It is the idea that Lucy "hides" that may best sum up the critical rub against this novel. There is a vague sense that - as with many clinical descriptions of autism - the narrator exists in a "shell" which readers cannot penetrate. In fact, descriptions of Lucy's narrative voice share the same kind of insistence on elemental narrative absence that show up in dominant and negative rhetoric about autistic communication.

Critics who characterise Lucy as "hideous", "plaguy", "disagreeable", "manipulative", "frigid", "contemptuous", "passive-aggressive", and "hostile" might thus be understood in the context of contemporary popular responses against autism where autistic silence and autistic speaking are both described as "abrasive" or "impenetrable", and also demonstrating a violation of fluid and more intuitive social skill.

"Neuroqueer Narration in Charlotte Bronte's Villette", Julia Miele Rodas

I have lots of 'digital books. (Torrents are peer to peer downloads...a software file sharing thing...)
I don't have any Emily Bronte books other than Wuthering heights....I found one reference to Emily Bronte though....Since I must have downloaded a bunch of Alister Crowley books at one time....Ive downloaded thousands of books...hundreds of authors...I've maybe read 15% of what i actually have.

exerpt:
Quote:
Blind asses! who pretend that women are naturally chaste! The Easterns know better; all the restrictions of the harem, of public opinion, and so on, are based upon the recognition of the fact that woman is only chaste when there is nobody around. She will snatch the babe from its cradle, or drag the dog from its kennel, to prove the old saying: "Natura abhorret a vacuo. For she is the Image of the Soul of Nature, the Great Mother, the Great Whore.
It is to be well noted that the Great Women of History have exercised unbounded freedom in Love. Sappho, Semiramis, Messalina, Cleopatra, Ta Chhi, Pasiphae, Clytaemnaestra, Helen of Troy, and in more recent times Joan of Arc (by Shakespeare's account), Catherine II of Russia, Queen Elizabeth of England, George Sand, "George Eliot." Against these we can put only Emily Bronte, whose sex-suppression was due to her environment, and so burst out in the incredible violence of her art, and the regular religious mystics, Saint Catherine, Saint Teresa, and so on, the facts of whose sex-life have been carefully camouflaged in the interests of the slave-gods. But, even on that showing, the sex-life was intense, for the writings of such women are overloaded with sexual expression passionate and perverted, even to morbidity and to actual hallucination.
Sex is the main expression of the Nature of a person; great Natures are sexually strong; and the health of any person will depend upon the freedom of that function.
(See "Liber CI", "de Lege Libellum", Cap. IV, in "The Equinox" III (1).)

And another reference I found in another book. I actually had this book archiving software, to get quick word searches, instant word searches, but i had too many books, i basically broke the functionality. It became buggy.
Quote:

Autumn, as René and Jean Dubos noted in their classic study of tuberculosis, came to rival spring as the poet’s favorite season: the autumn of melancholy and falling leaves, not autumn the season of jolly harvest.4 Some of the lives of those in that formidable list (Table 8.1) became paradigms of romantic tubercular suffering: Novalis, Keats, Chopin, and the Brontë sisters. Consumption’s victims slowly and chronically declined, gradually wasting away, becoming fragile and pale. Seeking relief they traveled to warmer climes or undertook sea voyages. Such travels often took them to the Mediterranean, where notions of the contagiousness of disease in general and tuberculosis in particular remained more influential than they did in northern Europe. The tubercular travelers thus met hostility that added to the pathos of their stories: Keats, feared by his Italian landlady;

The Burdens of Disease
Epidemics and Human Response in Western History
J. N. Hays

I'm sure you got pretty much everything she ever did. Know her inside out. The only author I can say I've read nearly everything, they've practically did, is maybe Nietzsche.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 5:12 pm

All you have in this world is yourself. When it all comes down to the most granular, literal interpretation of subjective reality, there you are. The only real security is that you are here, you exist, and you will work to help yourself.

Money doesn’t count. Money can disappear in the blink of an eye.

Family and friends are more secure, but even they can fold.

Ironically, the people who stay true to themselves, who live their lives to the fullest, who don’t take no for an answer, who count on themselves to get the job done and allow zero excuses? Those are the people who get loyal people in their corner.

-Mark Sissan

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 6:52 pm

Fold powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla with the butter until smooth and creamy.

Isa's Special Recipes book

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 1:21 am

"When a person reaches a certain point in life when he says, 'I have had enough of all this. I am simply tired of making life not worth living, by constantly living through the horrors of what might happen, for the sake of efficiency and membership in the community.
Let me just get away from it all for a while and find out what the score is for me, myself. l am tired of being told what I ought to believe. I am tired of being told how I ought to see, how I ought to behave, how I ought to feel. Let me find out for myself who I really am.'" - A. Watts

p. 77, Zen and the Beat Way

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:23 pm

"Awakening from a dream. - Wise and noble men once believed in the music of the spheres: wise and noble men still believe in the 'moral significance of existence.' But one day this music of the spheres too will no longer be audible to them! They will awaken and perceive that their ears had been dreaming."

Nietzsche, Daybreak. Translated by R.J. Hollingdale.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 6:16 pm

"I lay and cried, and began to feel again, to admit I was human, vulnerable, sensitive. I began to remember how it had been before; how there was that germ of positive creativeness. Character is fate; and damn, I'd better work on my character. I had been withdrawing into a retreat of numbness: it is so much safer not to feel, not to let the world touch one. But my honest self revolted at this, hated me for doing this. Sick with conflict, destructive negative emotions, frozen into disintegration I was, refusing to articulate, to spew forth these emotions - they festered in me, growing big, distorted, like pus-bloated sores. Small problems, mentions of someone else's felicity, evidence of someone else's talents, frightened me, making me react hollowly, fighting jealousy, envy, hate. Feeling myself fall apart, decay, rot, and the laurels wither and fall away, and my past sins and omissions strike me with full punishment and import. All this, all this foul, gangrenous sludge, ate away at my insides. Silent, insidious.”

The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, ed. Karen V. Kukil

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 3:27 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
"Character is fate; and damn, I'd better work on my character.”

The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, ed. Karen V. Kukil

Perhaps you know this, but "Character is fate" is a quote from Fragments, by Heraclitus. Highly recommended if you haven't read it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 7:16 pm

How the mud goes round in the mind-what a swirl these monsters leave, the waters rocking, the weeds waving and green here, black there, striking to the sand, till by degrees the atoms reassemble, the deposit sifts itself, and again through the eyes one sees clear and still, and there comes to the lips some prayer for the departed, some obsequy for the souls of those one nods to, the people one never meets again.

"An Unwritten Novel", Virginia Woolf (1920)

traven
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 3:47 am

Ah ! camarade ! Ce monde n’est je vous
l’assure qu’une immense entreprise à se foutre du monde ! Vous
êtes jeune. Que ces minutes sagaces vous comptent pour des
années ! Écoutez-moi bien, camarade, et ne le laissez plus pas-
ser sans bien vous pénétrer de son importance, ce signe capital
dont resplendissent toutes les hypocrisies meurtrières de notre
Société : “L’attendrissement sur le sort, sur la condition du mi-
teux...” Je vous le dis, petits bonshommes, couillons de la vie,
battus, rançonnés, transpirants de toujours, je vous préviens,
quand les grands de ce monde se mettent à vous aimer, c’est
qu’ils vont vous tourner en saucissons de bataille... C’est le
signe... Il est infaillible. C’est par l’affection que ça commence.

VOYAGE AU BOUT DE LA NUIT Louis-Ferdinand Céline

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2022, 7:15 am

traven wrote:
Ah ! camarade ! Ce monde n’est je vous
l’assure qu’une immense entreprise à se foutre du monde ! Vous
êtes jeune. Que ces minutes sagaces vous comptent pour des
années ! Écoutez-moi bien, camarade, et ne le laissez plus pas-
ser sans bien vous pénétrer de son importance, ce signe capital
dont resplendissent toutes les hypocrisies meurtrières de notre
Société : “L’attendrissement sur le sort, sur la condition du mi-
teux...” Je vous le dis, petits bonshommes, couillons de la vie,
battus, rançonnés, transpirants de toujours, je vous préviens,
quand les grands de ce monde se mettent à vous aimer, c’est
qu’ils vont vous tourner en saucissons de bataille... C’est le
signe... Il est infaillible. C’est par l’affection que ça commence.

VOYAGE AU BOUT DE LA NUIT Louis-Ferdinand Céline

I thought this book was hilarious in chunks, but man is it bitter. And Céline sustains that mood for a long time.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 9:06 am

By opening our eyes, we do not necessarily see what confronts us. We are anxiety-ridden animals. Our minds are continually active, fabricating an anxious, usually self-preoccupied, often-falsifying veil which partially conceals the world.

Iris Murdoch, The Sovereignty of Good Over Other Concepts, p. 357

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 1:14 am

"His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

The Dead - James Joyce

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 1:44 am

^ :) Quite beautiful, and yet some who quote it are still stuck on the moocow coming down the road, and baby tuckoo.

"But I've learned differently since. The whole trend of modern money-making is to foresee something that will presently be needed and put it out of reach, and then to haggle yourself wealthy."

- H.G. Wells, Tono-Bungay

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 3:05 pm

"She appeared to be walking in a dream; or, more truly, the vivid life and reality assumed by her emotions made all outward occurrences unsubstantial, like the teasing phantasms of a half-conscious slumber."

Nathaniel Hawthorne - The House of the Seven Gables

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 3:53 pm

"I don't mean to say that any great passion can exist without a desire for consummation. That seems to me to be a commonplace and to be therefore a matter needing no comment at all. It is a thing, with all its accidents, that must be taken for granted, as, in a novel, or a biography, you take it for granted that the characters have their meals with some regularity. But the real fierceness of desire, the real heat of a passion long continued and withering up the soul of a man is the craving for identity with the woman that he loves. He desires to see with the same eyes, to touch with the same sense of touch, to hear with the same ears, to lose his identity, to be enveloped, to be supported. For, whatever may be said of the relation of the sexes, there is no man who loves a woman that does not desire to come to her for the renewal of his courage, for the cutting asunder of his difficulties. And that will be the mainspring of his desire for her. We are all so afraid, we are all so alone, we all so need from the outside the assurance of our own worthiness to exist."

Ford Madox Ford - The Good Soldier