Post a random quote from a book you're reading

Page 4 of 16 [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 1:23 pm

Bruno Latour's Down to Earth, a book about climate change and ways to conceptualize what's going on in the world, begins with this quote:

"we've read enough books" - Jared Kushner

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 3:43 pm

Quote:
I decided not to tell them this because (A) it didn’t seem like an intelligent thing to know, and (B) it would probably seem odd that I know such freakish facts about an actress I had just said I didn’t really like.

“Quiet, please” by Scott Douglas, pg.9.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 11:42 am

"For how can a man stand, unless he has something sure under his feet? Can a man tread the unstable water all his life and call that standing? Better give in and drown at once. Upon what could he stand, save upon a woman? Was he then like the old man of the seas, impotent to move save upon the back of another life? Was he impotent, or a cripple, or a defective, or a fragment? It was black, mad, shameful torture, the frenzy of fear, the frenzy of desire, and the horrible, gasping back-wash of regret".

The Rainbow, DH Lawrence (Oxford World's Classics, 1915)

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 10:08 pm

Not from a book but important

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/arash-sha ... _23200391/

Quote:
Unlike John Maynard Keynes' utopian forecast in the 1930s, technological advancements have fallen short of delivering 15-hour work weeks and stretches of uninterrupted leisure.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 8:51 pm

"When I dress up as a frigid bitcch I try not to look so constipated!"

Elle Woods, Legally Blonde :heart:

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 2:20 am

"But as John Little notes, "the problem with the Western approach is that it attempts to explain life as opposed to revealing how to experience it."--'The Warrior Within: The Philosophies' xviii foreword

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:21 pm

I loved the part in To Kill A Mocking Bird when Calpurnia put Scout in her place for being rude to Walter Cunningham about the way he ate his food with molasses.

"There's some folks who don't eat like us, but you ain't called on to contradict 'em at the table when they don't. That boy's yo' comp'ny and if he wants to eat up the table cloth you let him, you hear?"

And

"Hush your mouth! Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house's yo' comp'ny, and don't you let me catch you remarkin' on their ways like you was so high and mighty! Yo' folks might be better'n the Cunninghams but it don't count for nothin' the way you're disgracin' 'em---if you can't act fit to eat at the table you can just set here and eat in the kitchen!"

How do you respond to that other than by saying "Yes Ma'am"? :lol: :mrgreen:

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 11:37 pm

[**Not from a book**]

Quote:
Twenty-five years ago, one of my teachers, Ajaan Suwat, led a meditation retreat in Massachusetts for which I served as translator. During a group interview session one afternoon, a retreatant new to Buddhism quipped, “You guys would have a good religion here if only you had a God. That way people would have some sense of support in their practice when things aren’t going well.”

Ajaan Suwat’s gentle reply has stayed with me ever since: “If there were a god who could arrange that by my taking a mouthful of food all the beings in the world would become full, I’d bow down to that god. But I haven’t found anyone like that yet.”

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 3:57 pm

"She was nearly sixteen years old, a slim, smouldering girl, deeply reticent, yet lapsing into unreserved expansiveness now and then, when she seemed to give her whole soul but when in fact she only made another counterfeit of her soul for outward presentation. She was sensitive in the extreme, always tortured, always affecting a callous indifference to screen herself".

The Rainbow, DH Lawrence (Oxford World's Classics, 1915)

:roll: Sound familiar, Aspie women?

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 12:20 pm

Quote:

You may have heard that Buddha denied the existence of the self. Let's be clear: Buddha never denied that we experience the world and out lives through a sense of self. This self matters and needs attention. What Buddha denied was the enduring nature of this self: it is not eternal. Our selves arise and they pass away; and in fact, even while they exist, they only do so in relationship with others.

--'What would Buddha do at work?: 101 answers to workplace dilemmas' by Franz Metcalf & BJ Gallagher Hateley.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 8:18 am

I'm officially speechless 8O :

I lay and cried, and began to feel again, to admit I was human, vulnerable, sensitive. I began to remember how it had been before, how there was that germ of positive creativeness. Character is fate, and damn! I'd better work on my character! I had been withdrawing into a retreat of numbness: it is so much safer not to feel, not to let the world touch one. But, my honest self revolted at this, hated me for doing this. Sick with conflict and destructive negative emotions, frozen into disintegration, I was refusing to articulate, to spew forth these emotions -- they festered in me, growing big, distorted, like pus-bloated sores. Small problems, mentions of someone else's felicity, evidence of someone else's talents, frightened me, making me react hollowly, fighting jealousy, envy, hate. I was feeling myself fall apart, decay, rot, the laurels wither and fall away, and my past sins and omissions strike me with full punishment and import. All this, all this foul, gangrenous sludge, ate away at my insides. Silent, insidious.

Plath, Sylvia, and Karen V. Kukil. The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, 1950-1962. New York: Anchor Books, 2000

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 3:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I lay and cried, and began to feel again, to admit I was human, vulnerable, sensitive. I began to remember how it had been before, how there was that germ of positive creativeness. Character is fate, and damn! I'd better work on my character! I had been withdrawing into a retreat of numbness: it is so much safer not to feel, not to let the world touch one. But, my honest self revolted at this, hated me for doing this. Sick with conflict and destructive negative emotions, frozen into disintegration, I was refusing to articulate, to spew forth these emotions -- they festered in me, growing big, distorted, like pus-bloated sores. Small problems, mentions of someone else's felicity, evidence of someone else's talents, frightened me, making me react hollowly, fighting jealousy, envy, hate. I was feeling myself fall apart, decay, rot, the laurels wither and fall away, and my past sins and omissions strike me with full punishment and import. All this, all this foul, gangrenous sludge, ate away at my insides. Silent, insidious.

Plath, Sylvia, and Karen V. Kukil. The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, 1950-1962. New York: Anchor Books, 2000

Wow what clear articulation. 8O

AQ 40
ASD-1

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 3:14 pm

feeli0 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Wow what clear articulation. 8O

That's my mutism in a nutshell.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 3:23 pm

^^ yes.

I have been reading some of the other quotes you have posted here, Is. Amazing skill you have at picking out the profound.

AQ 40
ASD-1

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 4:01 pm

Thanks, feels. PTSD gives me omnipotent radar for finding some gems.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Every thought of genius, or even every earnest thought that springs up in any brain, which can never be communicated to others, even if one were to write volumes about it and were explaining one's idea for thirty-five years; there's something left which cannot be induced to emerge from your brain, and remains with you forever; and with it you will die, without communicating to anyone perhaps the most important of your ideas.

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky.