Asperger.. adolescency.. psychotic symptoms

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

mamamoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

Just one question...does anyone have, or had in the past,positive result at the end..that unpleasant effect of comorbide - psychotic-talking-to-himself-at-loud at some point stops?
Already tired and feeling helpless,mamamoo :?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 11:02 am

mamamoo wrote:
Just one question...does anyone have, or had in the past,positive result at the end..that unpleasant effect of comorbide - psychotic-talking-to-himself-at-loud at some point stops?
Already tired and feeling helpless,mamamoo :?

Well talking out loud to ones self is not necessarily psychotic I do it all the time just to help with organizing my thoughts especially if I am doing something.......like if I am packing a back pack to go stay the night somewhere I might talk to myself about what I'm doing...still need to grab ect. Otherwise it just kind of happens sometimes, out of habit or whatever I guess.

So I guess what's so concerning about it to you?

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 12:47 pm

Talking to oneself as a way to engage oneself in a private discussion about special interests or as a way to organize one's thoughts is not psychosis. Talking to an imaginary person, be it a hallucinatory voice or body, when believing that the imaginary person really does exist is psychosis. And no, talking to oneself in Asperger's usually is lifelong. I've talked to myself since I was a toddler, and I'll never stop. I'm my own best friend. I've just learned over the years to talk silently in my head (I still move my lips, though) when out in public.

Nash: Is there a difference?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 1:54 pm

Talking to oneself is only psychotic if you are talking to a non real person, persons, or being, or hallucinating. Just talking out loud or in your head to organize your thoughts is not psychotic. Neither is commenting aloud on or to a program on the radio/TV. I have always talked to myself both in my head and out loud, to organize my thoughts. Like with OddDuckNash99, I am my own best--and only in person friend. I am in my 50s now, and have no intention of stopping the self conversations. Besides, I live alone, so who else is there to talk to? I do not think I am talking to another person or being when doing this, and am not hallucinating, either. It just helps me organize my thoughts. I need all the help I can get with that. :-D I am a hermit type person, but I do hang out and socialize here at WP a lot. I am not anti social, just non social. Talking to my self for companionship, occasionally talking to/emailing relatives, radio/TV, and hanging out at WP provide enough social contact to suit me. I also talk to people when I occasionally go out to run errands, so I don't feel too socially isolated, just isolated to the extent a hermit like me prefers.

So stop worrying about talking to yourself. Remember, you are your own best friend. As long as you don't talk to that strange little man I see standing next to you, dressed in green, and holding a pot 'o gold, you are fine. :-D

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2012, 1:12 pm

42 here and have talked to myself all my life. Sometimes in public. I refrain from that now, but didn't always. I wasn't thinking there was another person there...but as someone else said, it was a way for me to organize my thoughts or work something out. If I've had a bad day or am worried about something, I'll talk to myself in the car on the way home from work. Out loud. What finally changed me talking in public, was the realization dawning, that generally, people frown on that behavior.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

I'm going to mirror some other people too. Talking to yourself is not a sign of psychosis nor is it psychotic. I talk to myself all the time, it's just a way that I can gather all the information I want and gather thoughts in my head. It's also a way to vent out my anger when there is no one around. I also am a writer so I tend to like to speak my character dialogue in different voices to get a feel for the characters. I'm not psychotic, no one is psychotic for talking to themselves. I don't even calling it talking to myself, I call it "gather my thoughts".

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 11:17 pm

It sounds like some professional screening is required to determine if he is hearing voices or not. If he is not hearing voices, then it's a matter for a therapist. If he is hearing voices, he will need to see a psychiatrist for that.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

John_Browning wrote:
It sounds like some professional screening is required to determine if he is hearing voices or not. If he is not hearing voices, then it's a matter for a therapist. If he is hearing voices, he will need to see a psychiatrist for that.

why does one need therapy for talking to them self? I think I would be pissed if a therapist told me not to do that.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 5:39 am

I put up a really long post and then deleted it as it was way to personal about my now 19 year old daughter and I dont think its right to talk about her issues as she is an adult, even if they did seriously affect me and my husband and younger kids. She is starting to get better and has even asked for her anti psychotics again. Ill just say that we have had a very rough time the past 2 years with her and my son dying, moving to France, my illness....Its been very difficult!

Anyway, I will say that I would ask him "who" he is talking to. If he says he is talking to himself than this is very normal for Aspies. Most of us do, I talk to myself mainly when Im alone....even yell sometimes. My upbringing made me think that this was "crazy" so I was careful with it.....more than I am now, same with my stimming, rocking, ect.
Also I tend to sing when Im around other people instead of talk because I have a need to make noise or talk to myself. I also talk to myself in my head and daydream a lot and can completely not be in this world....I will not hear people talking to me until they yell at me. My daydreams are like movies, I see my characters and hear their voices but I control them....some of them have accents and they have different ways of speaking. I have created many characters who I need sometimes to make me feel better....in my worlds everything is good and the way I want it to be. I do write but a lot of my characters I keep in my head because for some strange reason once I start writing them on paper they do not exist in my head like they did before.....I just have Asperger's and maybe some OCD and control issues ;).

I would only worry if he says that he is talking to someone else unless he is young enough to have imaginary friends.
OH...I forgot, I do talk to my cats, dogs and my two stuffed Orcas, Moo and Fluke but in my head Im really just talking to myself and even NT's talk to their animals ;)!

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 9:47 am

The point of the therapist wouldn't be to tell you to stop, you don't need a therapist for that. Rather, to help a person understand the ramifications of talking to themselves and make choices about how and when they do it.

For instance, if you walk around talking to yourself unedited, all the time, people will likely think you're odd. Well, that's a bummer if you don't understand why people think you're odd and are looking to make friends.

I talk to myself often, mostly to keep on task. However I choose when and where to do so.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 9:52 am

Kailuamom wrote:
The point of the therapist wouldn't be to tell you to stop, you don't need a therapist for that. Rather, to help a person understand the ramifications of talking to themselves and make choices about how and when they do it.

For instance, if you walk around talking to yourself unedited, all the time, people will likely think you're odd. Well, that's a bummer if you don't understand why people think you're odd and are looking to make friends.

I talk to myself often, mostly to keep on task. However I choose when and where to do so.

Maybe people should not be so judgmental, but whatever I am seen as odd even if I don't talk to myself so it makes no difference. I guess to me I just don't see why talking to ones self is a sign they need therapy......but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

The OP is posting about an adolescent, adolescents are often judgmental. It is totally fine (in my opinion) to make a decision that you don't care if people think you're odd. But I think it should be your choice, rather than something that just happens to you because you are unaware. Anyway, that's my take on why one might want therapy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:07 am

Kailuamom wrote:
The OP is posting about an adolescent, adolescents are often judgmental. It is totally fine (in my opinion) to make a decision that you don't care if people think you're odd. But I think it should be your choice, rather than something that just happens to you because you are unaware. Anyway, that's my take on why one might want therapy.

Yeah I was an adolescent/teen once so I got to experience plenty of judgmental behavior myself...I guess the therapy would be to help with the emotional pain the possible bullying the talking to ones self might cause at school. So yeah I guess the OPs child should be aware people might find it odd.......I just find it sad that people have to go to such great lengths to try and suppress themselves just so people don't think they are weird.

I am a bit bitter about my childhood and society so I may be a bit biased.